Ideal, Total, Favourite?

jblended

Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.
Mar 17, 2019
I ran a search and there hasn't been a thread similar to this since 2012 (and that one only addressed one of these areas), so I thought it might be a good idea to start a fresh thread to see where we all stand.

1- What's your ideal number of bags for your personal collection?
2- What's the total number you currently own? (including backpacks, gym bags, beach bags, travel bags- the whole lot)
3- What's your favourite bag (try to pick just 1) out of your collection?

As always with TPF, this a place where there are no right or wrong answers, no such thing as too few or too many, and no discrimination between brands! Just a bit of inventory fun for all of us who adore a gorgeous purse. :flowers:

I'll start with mine to get the ball rolling.

1- I think my ideal number is 8. That would cover work, weekend, evening/events, gym and travel easily!
2- My current total is the highest it has ever been: 34. :nuts: Every time I let go of my bags, someone turns around and gifts me a new one! It's the best kind of problem to have, I suppose! :P
3- A handmade round suede crossbody that was gifted to me.
This was such a difficult decision because I adore all the bags I've bought, but this one is easily the most unique bag in my collection, not only in shape and style but also in the fact that it is totally unbranded yet rivals the quality of my branded bags.

1. I'd say the ideal number would be... 30? Yes, I know how that sounds, and five years ago I wouldn't've believed that these words could ever come out of my mouth. But I really do like handbags. Hence me being here. :smile: I don't buy anything super expensive, and I prefer to keep my closet minimal and only purchase clothes that I love. And I'd rather have thirty handbags than thirty pairs of jeans. So I feel like I'm not spending that much on why wardrobe as a whole. And anyway, thirty isn't that many by tPF standards :cool:

2. My current number is 11. Huh. I actually had to count that. Thought the number would be smaller. But about half of that is stuff I no longer wear. Just don't like them anymore. So I put them up for sale.

3. My favorite bag... I'd say it's the one that makes my heart sing the most when I see it, even though I don't wear it all that often. It's a Proenza Schouler PS1 in Black in size Extra Large. But that was a really difficult question! I love them all. :blush:

PS1 XL October 27 2019.jpg

1. I don't think there is an ideal number in my case. I keep giving bags away only to find immediate replacements for (some of) them.

2. I have 10 premier bags at present. That's down from 19. If I include LCLP totes and Pacsafe travel bags, however, my collection swells to 20. Either number could change at any time - possibly without my knowing it.

3. I don't even know the answer to "Which is your favorite?" most of the time. Right now it's my BV large Olimpia in Ebano. Again, subject to change.

I'm a mess.

1. If I MUST answer, 10. I used to feel I need to keep downsizing so gave away A LOT of my bags which I now miss...old school Rebecca minkoff bags, miu miu bow bag, Philip Lim Pashli just to name a few. Not sure why I feel the need to, I have the space and I don’t need to sell. Oh well.

2. 31 bags in total, 14 premier and 17 contemporary/no name/fun bags.

3. My forever favourite is the Chanel classic flap. I wanted it for years and finally bought it while on holidays in Paris over three years ago now. It’s got a special place in my heart this bag.

Reactions: jblended
It's funny; I thought the hardest question would be picking a favourite bag, but it seems the ideal number is not something most people have. :amuse:
I discovered I had an ideal number when I became overwhelmed with my rapidly growing collection. I found having over 12 bags meant none of my bags got utilized the way they were intended to. If I were to try to use all the 34 bags I currently own, I would end up using each bag for 1.5 weeks out of the year. :huh:

1. I'd say the ideal number would be... 30? Yes, I know how that sounds, and five years ago I wouldn't've believed that these words could ever come out of my mouth. But I really do like handbags. Hence me being here. :smile: I don't buy anything super expensive, and I prefer to keep my closet minimal and only purchase clothes that I love. And I'd rather have thirty handbags than thirty pairs of jeans. So I feel like I'm not spending that much on why wardrobe as a whole. And anyway, thirty isn't that many by tPF standards :cool:

2. My current number is 11. Huh. I actually had to count that. Thought the number would be smaller. But about half of that is stuff I no longer wear. Just don't like them anymore. So I put them up for sale.

3. My favorite bag... I'd say it's the one that makes my heart sing the most when I see it, even though I don't wear it all that often. It's a Proenza Schouler PS1 in Black in size Extra Large. But that was a really difficult question! I love them all. :blush:

We should swap places, lol! Your current number is my ideal, and your ideal number is my current collection!
Thanks for sharing the pic of your PS1. It is stunning! :cool:

1. I don't think there is an ideal number in my case. I keep giving bags away only to find immediate replacements for (some of) them.

2. I have 10 premier bags at present. That's down from 19. If I include LCLP totes and Pacsafe travel bags, however, my collection swells to 20. Either number could change at any time - possibly without my knowing it.

3. I don't even know the answer to "Which is your favorite?" most of the time. Right now it's my BV large Olimpia in Ebano. Again, subject to change.

I'm a mess.
Ooh, nice one! BV Olimpia is drool worthy!
It makes sense that the numbers fluctuate, or indeed that you have a different favourite at different times.It's just interesting to get a snapshot of where people are in their collections.

1. If I MUST answer, 10. I used to feel I need to keep downsizing so gave away A LOT of my bags which I now miss...old school Rebecca minkoff bags, miu miu bow bag, Philip Lim Pashli just to name a few. Not sure why I feel the need to, I have the space and I don’t need to sell. Oh well.

2. 31 bags in total, 14 premier and 17 contemporary/no name/fun bags.

3. My forever favourite is the Chanel classic flap. I wanted it for years and finally bought it while on holidays in Paris over three years ago now. It’s got a special place in my heart this bag.

I love that you have a forever favourite, and that it is such a classic bag with sentimental value from the trip.
I've given away bags that I regretted, but have come to realise that it's not that important so it's best not to dwell. I loved those bags and sometimes wish I still had them- and like you, I was downsizing but had no real need to.
The upside is that you got to enjoy them while you had them, and now hopefully someone else is loving them as much as you did! At least it helps me to look at it that way- makes it a win-win. :tup:

Reactions: Joule
If I were to try to use all the 34 bags I currently own, I would end up using each bag for 1.5 weeks out of the year.
That... can't be right, can it? :amazed: :biggrin:
But yes, when you apply math to it, you can really see the problem and I, too, wouldn't want to only wear a bag for 1,5 weeks per year. So I try not to get too deep into the details and just concentrate on how beautiful my bags are and thus how pleasing it is to look at them sitting on my shelves even if I'm not currently wearing them.

Reactions: jblended
1. I do like collecting purses, so I don’t have a fixed ideal quantity. To account for growth, my target is to have fewer bags than my age.

2. I currently own 30 bags. That’s under my ideal, but I still plan to cull some if them.

3. My favorite is my black Reed Krakoff Micro Boxer. It was the first bag DH gifted me.

I LOVE purses ! I dress very simple and monochromatic usually, so a bag and a scarf are THE fun I have with my look.

1. I would like to say that ideal would be 12
2. I am afraid that I have 5 times that ( many which I really like I have in few colours and sizes)
3. Favourite is a group of Fendi large parchment baguettes in 3 colours

Reactions: JenJBS and jblended
1. I have no idea how to arrive at the ideal number. I'll say 13, because that is my lucky number and if I choose carefully, 13 should be sufficient. Two or three carry alls to cover all seasons and occasions, three to five shoulder bags and/or crossbodies for the many days when I don't have to carry an office but do carry my sunglasses, iPad etc., three to four bags for evenings out (ranging from music festivals to formal events), and two or three bags for travel and vacations. But it is hard to say. Like Vesna, I love handbags in interesting, beautiful colors, and while my bright blue Fontana Milano, and orange and yellow Loewes may not be the most versatile, I adore them and they add a lot style-wise.

2. I have 29 at the moment. Of these, I'd easily part with 6.

3. My favorite bag is my Delvaux Tempete MM in black with gold hardware. It is beautifully crafted, understated, not very common, and a classic with a long history and a retro vibe. It is elegant, lightweight and sits perfectly crossbody. My second favorite is my Celine Box (Classic) in navy with gold hardware.

That... can't be right, can it? :amazed: :biggrin:
But yes, when you apply math to it, you can really see the problem and I, too, wouldn't want to only wear a bag for 1,5 weeks per year. So I try not to get too deep into the details and just concentrate on how beautiful my bags are and thus how pleasing it is to look at them sitting on my shelves even if I'm not currently wearing them.
Doing the maths is what makes me stay in check. It's an eye-opener for sure! :-s
My favorite is my Holy Grail purse. Givenchy small Antigona in oil slick.
Oh never seen the Antigona in oil slick! That is such a cool bag! :cool:
1. I do like collecting purses, so I don’t have a fixed ideal quantity. To account for growth, my target is to have fewer bags than my age.
That's a great idea to keep things manageable! :smile:

Reactions: JenJBS
I think I've noticed a small trend. None of us own our ideal number of bags. Hmmm, I wasn't expecting that at all.

I was wrong earlier. I have 14, not 10 premier bags (forgot my fendi baguettes). I had to correct myself here, because I felt guilty. I apologize.

See? Mess.

:lol: Hardly a mess! I would have done the same; posted to correct my numbers if they were off just so that I didn't feel guilty about misrepresenting myself.
It's the bags, they make us all a bit :panic:
:drinks:

Reactions: Joule
Ideal - very hard to quantify! If I had a bigger cupboard my ideal would be higher. I’d like to add more colour! :smile:

Total - thought it was 20 but actually 21. This is 11 premier (10 Mulberry, 1 Loewe), 8 contemporary (4 Coach, 1 MK, 1 KS, 2 DKNY) a Radley and an Orla K backpack I use for running around. Perhaps I will swap the contemporary bags I don’t use much for more colourful bags but my DDs currently use them!

Favourite - Also hard to decide and changes by what I’m doing: grey Bayswater for work, chestnut Alexa for casual, oak or black Lily for smart/evenings, Loewe Basket for holidays....
I also love my steel blue quilted Cara and pink quilted Coach Crosby bags as these colours pop more!

Actually, that it’s so hard to decide is why I’m on tPF!

Reactions: jblended and JenJBS