I want vs. I should

HoneyHoney

Dec 27, 2011
I think everyone here has experienced this situation. I want that bag, but should I buy it? I have enough money but I can afford to spend them on the bag? It's beautiful, but do I need it?
I struggle with those questions right now and tomorrow morning I'll be heading to LV (i live few hours away). How do you handle such situations? How to do the right thing? I like to read about your experiences and tips :smile:

For example, I LOVE Vernis alma of all sizes, and I can afford to buy a BB. I know I should not, but I want one, what should I do? :wondering

I'm a similar situation. Hubby bought me the portobello gm for Xmas and I ended up returning it because I wasn't in love with it. Now that $ is burning a hole in my pocket but I haven't found anything I can't live without other than the vernis cosmetic case I just bought.

I've decided to just hang onto the $ even though I know there is a price increase coming. I'll probably kick myself later but at this point there isn't anything I can't live without and I'd just be buying something to buy it.

If it's something you love and will use then you should buy it, but if you aren't 100% sure you'll use/love it then don't buy.

If you love it and want it and can afford it, then buy it!! I don't buy anything I don't love. Try not to over think it. Easier said then done, I know. Good luck tomorrow!

I struggle with that, too. I think asking yourself if you NEED something doesn't help. We all spend a lot of money on things that we need but don't want (prescriptions, insurance, etc)... And I think that works the other way around, too. The stuff we don't NEED is just more fun to buy. I think the better question is "can I live without this?" or "will I be sad if I don't have this?" If the answer is yes or no (respectively) than leave it be. Sometimes it's just the thrill of actually acquiring, too, unfortunately. So buy it, bring it home, sit it somewhere for a day or two and ask yourself again. I'm guilty of coming up with a different answer to myself many times! So you go return it, you won't lust after it anymore and can be DONE. These lovely items from our favorite designers are too expensive (no matter how affordable they are to you) to bring home and not love. They aren't vacation knickknacks! Buy, love, use :loveeyes:

In my case, the I WANT wins over the I NEED in the case of limited edition items. This happened to me last year when I bought my Illustre agenda. I was at the boutique and not expecting to find anymore Illustre items, my jaw dropped when I saw this beauty and I immediately snatched it up! I use her regularly to jot down notes at work so she did end up quite useful. :smile:

I really hate having missed out on a limited edition line and then seeing them being sold on *Bay at crazy prices.

If you like the bag and the purchase doesn't affect your finances, GO FOR IT! Most people here are buying bags that they don't really need...:smile: Don't forget to post a picture of your new bag. :smile:

Buy it preloved... then there is less guilt... LOL

But seriously, I look at that question ALL the time. After streamlining my collection, and if I am doubling-up (i.e. two clutches?) then I have to have a good reason why... otherwise, if I buy it, then I have to sell something else...

Well, if you WANT and you can AFFORD, where is the "do I NEED?" question coming from? Do you fear deep down this is a frivilous purchase? Are there debts that should be paid off first? From a philosophical standpoint, do you fear you are contributing to a consumerish culture?

We all struggle with wants vs needs, and the way I reconcile it is 1) as long as I'm not going into debt or spending money I don't have, 2) it is something I have really examined, and know I will use and love over the long-term, and 3) I've researched the quality of the item and feel good that I'm getting the best value for $$. My 2 cents (or pence or yen!).

Just as long as you don't settle for something simply because you have the money. Make sure it's something you love and that you know you'll use. Otherwise you may feel remorse later.

I am currently in the same situation. I am lusting over the Eva in Mono and I know I will get good wear out of her. I do have the money, but I feel I have splurged enough this past month (2 Prada bags, 1 LV wallet). So I said I will save up seperatly to buy her. Now I always think of the occasions I could already carry her and about the price increase (it will take a few month to save up) ...
So definetly dont need it but WANT it. Normally this ends with buying it within the next weeks, but this time I am trying hard to resist!!

i think most people will have this problem when it comes to luxury items, its a want rather than a need. no one really need a $1200 purse. i research items for a year before buying it. if i still want it after a year, that means i will get it and for sure i saved enough to get it.