I want to start a Summer Book Club any suggestions?

farmerswife

Miss you boy!
Jun 6, 2007
I am interested in starting a Summer Book Ciub, does any one have any suggestions? There are already a couple of us that want to do it. We are thinking along the same lines as the movie, "Jane Austen Book Club". We will cover three of the books over the summmer. I am open to all suggestions.

I wasn't aware of a book club here, so I'm not sure what happen. I have thought about picking an author and reading a few of their books. I am completely open here. I love to read and average two-four books a month, and would love to have someone (or in this case) several people to discuss the books. We could do classic's, ex: Jane Austen, or someone with a series like James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, (all though I have read all of her stuff). Again, I am asking, what would make this book club something you would like to participate in.

I'm currently reading Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella. It is a very cute book.
Maybe you can read books by her. She has the Shopaholic series, Can You Keep a Secret?, and The Undomestic Goddess. All great books!

I actually just purchased two of Sophie Kinsella's books. I had read here on a thread about her and thought I would give her a try. I just finished The Kite Runner and A Thousand Spendid Suns by Khalid Hosseini. They were so amazing, and are actually the reason I want to start a book club. I am the only one in my family and here the office that reads. I enjoy discussing books and wanted to find others that want to do the same.

Hmm if you want something fun but not as fluffy as the Shopaholic Series I'd suggest that Jennifer Weiner's books are pretty good. You could do Good in Bed, In Her Shoes & Certain Girls (Just came out today & is the sequel of Good in Bed).

Marian Keyes also has some great books. A bunch of hers-Watermelon, Angels, Is Anybody Out There & Rachel's Holiday all involve the same family (the characters are absolutely hilarious).

Jhumpa Lahiri's books are also amazing. She's the writer of The Namesake, Interpreter of Maladies & Unaccustomed Earth (Came out last week).

Alice Hoffman is also fantastic. I loved Skylight Confessions, Blackbird House & The Probable Future. She has a book called Incantation. It's a YA book, but I think it's one of her most powerful books in terms of themes.

Jonathan Safran Foer is one of my all time favorite writers. He wrote Everything is Illuminated & Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Very cool books, slightly funky. To make it a trio, add his wife's book The History of Love. Her style works very well with his.

For classics, there's nothing wrong with reading Jane Austen's books like the book club. Miss Austen's books are my guilty pleasure.

it seems like there are so many genres people are interested in! i wish we could have an entire subforum to create threads of specific books and have people join as they wish. but in the meantime, i suppose the fairest way would be to conduct a poll.