I thought I had it in the "bag", I'm being outbid, can anyone tell me what's up!?!?!?

OP: Well, why exactly are you saying that the seller is shilling? Pretty strong accusation to make.

I agree here.. why do some many people always think its shilling...

Many times it is but just as many that it isn't.

If bidding stresses someone out, ebay is not the place to be

as many many times buyers will snipe at the last 3 seconds...

If someone really wants the item, you can bid early with your

max bid or snipe at the last moment...

Chances are the item turns up again & sometimes sooner than later

I bid on a purse 3 days ago, and I have been the highest bidder the whole time, and it's not a very sought after bag, then it occurred to me that maybe the seller did not want to sell it for that little. Maybe they thought it wasn't going to sell at all but then I bid on it at the lowest price and they got irritated because they didn't want to sell it for that little, so THEY are doing the automatic bids, either that or they got somebody else to do it.

My question is, how do I beat these automatic bids? tomorrow when the listing is ending, in the final minutes, how do I make sure I win??

This just makes me so angry, because this whole time it's just been me bidding on it, and now this automatic thing comes up... I really believe it's the frickin seller that's doing this. I just have a gut feeling.

thanks guys!

Snipe it.....

There are FREE automatic sniping websites that will place your bid FOR YOU at the very last second...

that is the ONLY way I bid these days....
I HATE bidding wars.... I am not going to jack up the price of something that I WANT to buy.....
Also, it keeps the sellers who shill from being able to out bid me....

MIND you, I am also a seller.....
I've NO problem with people sniping items I am selling....I'm
just glad to sell my items.....

Myibidder.com is a good one...
Just set it to place your bid in the last 6 Seconds.... It works GREAT for me, since I'm in Sweden and many auctions end when I am asleep....

You have to make sure though, that you put the HIGHEST amount you are willing to pay for the item.... Because it places the bid with only 6 seconds left on the auction, you will not have time to place a higher bid should your bid not be high enough.....

(for International bidders using this service, the auction has to state that
they ship to your country... or it may not place your bid.... )

Many times what people think is shilling is just not very smart bidding. While there is way too much shilling on eBay, there isn't as much as some people think.

The best way to avoid a bidding war and to avoid being shilled is to snipe. I bid once, as close as possible to the ending of the auction. Then I either get the item at a price I am happy about, or I lose to someone who just was willing to pay more.

Keep in mind that, while it may not be popular item, there may be others, like you, that were looking for one. I have a few saved searches, so I know early on if something I am interested in is listed.

Personally, as a bidder I get annoyed with people who bid early... Back when I was selling, I liked when people bid early because it drove the bid up.

But its very likely another bidder. Some people wait till the last day to bid. I wait until the last minute or two...

you all are very right. I think I may have assumed just because I really thought I was the only one wanting to buy at least, but I did look at the other bidders history and they had a pretty good amount of feedback..

I am usually the seller and not the buyer so I really didn't know about these technicalities, especially sniping.

I was VERY unaware I could do that at the last minute, and if I had, I might have used one of those for free and bid my max bid right in the last few seconds. Instead, I knew I'd be at work so I wanted to go ahead and get it over with.

I have already placed my highest bid, so tomorrow afternoon, if the other bidder outbids, the same thing will result as if I had sniped it.

Right now, it's like the silence before the storm. I don't know if maybe that's the most they're willing to pay and I've outbid their automatic bid, or they are waiting till tomorrow right before the end to place a higher bid.

Figuring all this out is helping me for the future, though. I think of all the subforums in tPF, this is the one I have received the most help in and that is GREATLY appreciated.

Also, when I use myibidder, I have already added the item I am wanting to snipe into the myibidder thing, but do I need to go ahead and set it up and click "snipe" now or wait till the last few seconds?

bit confused. thanks for dealing with me and my confusion!

I have never understood the logic behind "if I snipe at the last second I avoid being shilled" . If there has been shilling throughout the course of the listing the final bid price is still artificially inflated. :shrugs:

I have never understood the logic behind "if I snipe at the last second I avoid being shilled" . If there has been shilling throughout the course of the listing the final bid price is still artificially inflated. :shrugs:

Most people don't think it avoids shilling... Its to avoid driving the bid up pre-maturely. For example, OP bid early, another bidder is bidding in competition... They've both driven the bid higher than it might have been if they both waited to the last couple minutes to bid. The less time for a bid war, the less time you have to bid against each other, test each other's max bids or second guess your own max bid. Thus, the less you're likely to spend.

Although, if there are no previous bids and the seller is a shiller, sniping at the last second prevents the seller from having time to shill the bid up. But its a moot point on a listing that already has bids.

I almost always bid at the end. I was referring to the scenario where there was an active amount of bidding. Of course I am not going to join in.......I am too busy cursing the idjits who have placed 10 bids right off the bat. And wondering where they are when I list something. If a seller is shilling they could be using more than one ID to make it look like a bidding war. Even if I snipe I have been shilled.

Also, when I use myibidder, I have already added the item I am wanting to snipe into the myibidder thing, but do I need to go ahead and set it up and click "snipe" now or wait till the last few seconds?

bit confused. thanks for dealing with me and my confusion!

Sorry, when I do snipe bidding, I do it myself at the ending of the auction; someone else probably knows about these and could help you.

I almost always bid at the end. I was referring to the scenario where there was an active amount of bidding. Of course I am not going to join in.......I am too busy cursing the idjits who have placed 10 bids right off the bat. And wondering where they are when I list something. If a seller is shilling they could be using more than one ID to make it look like a bidding war. Even if I snipe I have been shilled.

I bid like you do. When I first joined ebay, before there was a watch list, I would place a very low bid to remind myself about that item, but now I just put things on my watch list and bid at the end. Sometimes I'm not home, and I usually get outbid if I have put in a bid. Sometimes I lose sleep to stay up or get up early to bid; sometimes I win, sometimes I don't, but I don't spend more than I'm willing to spend. I'm with you with the people who placed all those bids from the beginning, and don't ever see them on the auctions I run, either. Kinda makes you go, "hmmmm." I think those that do shilling often use multiple IDs. I still see huge amounts of shill bidding going on with top sellers that have been the topic of discussion here, and I feel so bad for the true buyers. When they post something for authenticity, I want to scream, "please take a look at the bidding history!!!" as well as, "ohmy have you seen the condition of that item and all the stains???" *Sigh*

I'm a sniper too. I do it manually unless the auction is ending in the middle of the night or while I'm at work. I love sniping, especially when there are already bids. I enjoy swooping in at the last second and winning the auction; it's fun. Though sometimes I lose to another sniper or to a high proxy bid and that's okay too.

lol. My bf is a great sniper, so I learned his ways.

He gets really annoyed when he finds something "newly listed" with six days left and there is already a bid on it. He wonders why people are bidding so early. :lolots: