i sold an auth bag - now buyer claims its fake - help!

Yes, 7 months is a little too long to expect this type of customer service from you on a purchase on ebay. I'd prob tell her to take some pictures and send them over to Caroldiva.

First, I think that it is highly suspicious that she is contacting you after seven months. That is a serious red flag. Also, if you have detailed photos of your bag and YOUR receipt from the actual LV Boutique, you are prepared for battle if necessary. Second, I would inform this buyer that NOT A SINGLE LV BOUTIQUE IN THE WORLD AUTHENTICATES LV ITEMS. In fact, it is against the company policy for them to do this. My SA told me that the only way that they are allowed to even suggest this to a customer is if the customer brings in something for repair and it is fake. In these cases, the company will provide a letter to the customer explaining why they cannot do the "repair" (b/c the item is deemed to be "not authentic"). I clearly remember asking her about this policy as we were chatting by the display about the rampant counterfeits that pass through the mall (and walk in to the boutique). She said that it is an immediate and fire-able offense to get involved with authenticity issues. The company trains SA's to be very proactive and offer to help the customer locate the original sales receipt, while protecting customer's privacy/identity (in the case they claim to be the original owner and bought it at an authentic LV boutique).

The only case where I know of SA's that are stupid enough to do this (and it has happened more times that I can count), are the instances that I have been in a Coach store and overheard SA's tell other customers that "all Coach bags on Ebay are fake." (I have heard this 10x from SA's when a customer comes in looking for a bag that is sold out, retired, etc. and inquires about alternative sources to find the bag.) Although I understand that the SA's from Coach should not suggest Ebay (against company policy), I believe that it is entirely inappropriate for them to make this comment- as well as extremely risky. I was severely offended by this, and the last time I heard this from an SA's mouth, I made a point to call her out in the store in front of the customer and her counterparts. I have spent THOUSANDS of my hard earned money at Coach in the past, and often I sell pre-owned bags on Ebay and Bonanza when I am thinning out my collection or don't use something any more. To say that all Coach bags on Ebay are fake is offensive to me (as a $$$$ paying customer in the store!!), as I DOUBT that Coach would be selling ME counterfeit bags of their own brand. I should also point out that 9 out of every 10 things that I have purchased from Coach have been special order, high dollar items and are often coveted years after they've been retired. I paid for them; I'm not making a profit- I should be allowed to do what I wish with full disclosure!

I can honestly say that I have never heard an SA in any LV Boutique tell someone that all bags on Ebay are fake or that his/her bag is/was fake. I have heard them offer help to locate the record of purchase or sell an accessory to compliment the bag. You better believe I would raise ten kinds of HELL if an SA at a BAL or LV Boutique ever told one of my customers that my bag was counterfeit. All customers are important, no matter how much or how little you spend, and as long as you aren't trying to undermine the company, any brand should respect customers' wishes when they decide to rehome items of their personal collection on reasonable terms. Full disclosure, spot-on documentation, and honesty go a long way.

So, OP, in the case the the buyer is being truthful with you (which I SERIOUSLY DOUBT), as a valued customer of LV don't stand for that *&^% if there really is an SA that is telling people you sold a counterfeit bag. I would inform the buyer that you take offense to that, and you are sure that LV values your patronage, and you would like to know what SA/store is claiming that your bag isn't the real deal. If she won't give you this info, then you know for sure that she is full of &^%$. If she does give you the information, follow up with your personal SA and document your response- don't stand for it if someone at the boutique got pissy because someone bought a bag from Ebay and not the store. If it is authentic, the SA should keep his/her nose out of it, and turn the walk in customer with the second hand bag into an upsale by offering to pair her bag with an accessory in the store. That is the talent of a truly wonderful and effective SA!

Good luck, dear! :smile:

Last edited:
she wanted me to jump through hoops, contact my store to say it was bought there etc etc. Ive never sold a fake on ebay. The whole thing is just ridiculous but its causing me stress. Id be too embarassed to go to my LV store with this whole ridiculous story and insinuate that a bag they sold me is fake!

I am not sure exactly what she is requesting--that the store confirm this to her (over the phone? via email?)? Or that the store provide you another receipt? Because if her friend doesn't trust the first receipt, I'm not sure how a duplicate would reassure her.

But after this long, I seriously doubt if she has leg to stand on in terms of forcing you to do anything at all.