I ran face first into a huge spider...spider pics included!!

bagnshoofetish said:
No no no! Don't kill these guys! I know they look scary but they are really quite striking up close. And they are not interested in harming you. The are "orb weavers" and are soooooo good for your garden. When I find them in mine, I mist their webs a little and they drink the droplets of water. I employ as many as I can! Better than insecticide! Now black widows are another story......:yucky:

Sorry for the fright Irishgal, the feeling of a web and spider on your face is not the most pleasant thing in the world! I run into them alot at work and you really never get used to it!

very interesting!:idea:

DISGUSTING! I would've screamed so loud that the whole neighborhood would've heard me! Glad to hear that your cheek is doing okay!And you definitely need a new bag...from all the trauma you just went through!

some spider facts for you to demystify these little guys:

While they are certainly not going to win any popularity contests, spiders' insect-eating habits are extremely helpful to humans. Every year, billions of spiders do away with a large number of disease-carrying and crop-destroying insects. If every spider ate just one a day for a year, those insects, piled in one spot, would weigh as much as 50 million people. Spiders are, by far, the most important predator of insects in our world.

Although most spiders are venomous, they are harmless to humans with a few exceptions—the black widow and the brown recluse being the most common. The venom produced by spiders is used to paralyze and kill their prey. Spiders rarely attack unless provoked and even then they are more likely to flee than fight. People often mistakenly blame spiders for bites caused by fleas, ticks, or mites. Most spiders don’t possess the mouthparts capable of breaking human skin.

The more you understand them, the less scary they become. Just try to appreciate the intricate patterns on their bodies and admire their incredible engineering skills.

OMG... I'm glad you are not too traumatized. That is one nasty looking spider!! I probably would have run away crying. I hope I never ever see a spider that big. :yucky: I can barely handle the little ones.

:wtf: I shuddered just reading the title of the thread. I knew I should not have looked at that picture.

I am glad you are ok. It sounds like you handled it much better than I would have. I am terrified of spiders.

bagnshoofetish said:
some spider facts for you to demystify these little guys:

While they are certainly not going to win any popularity contests, spiders' insect-eating habits are extremely helpful to humans. Every year, billions of spiders do away with a large number of disease-carrying and crop-destroying insects. If every spider ate just one a day for a year, those insects, piled in one spot, would weigh as much as 50 million people. Spiders are, by far, the most important predator of insects in our world.

Although most spiders are venomous, they are harmless to humans with a few exceptions—the black widow and the brown recluse being the most common. The venom produced by spiders is used to paralyze and kill their prey. Spiders rarely attack unless provoked and even then they are more likely to flee than fight. People often mistakenly blame spiders for bites caused by fleas, ticks, or mites. Most spiders don’t possess the mouthparts capable of breaking human skin.

The more you understand them, the less scary they become. Just try to appreciate the intricate patterns on their bodies and admire their incredible engineering skills.

I never kill spiders, either. Though I do hate faceplanting in their webs. I always catch the ones that come into the house nad let them go outside. When I was little, I used to catch small bugs and throw them into spiders' webs to watch them wrap them up. Pretty cool. I also loved watching them spin their webs.

The spiders here in Idaho are different. Not so many orb weavers. But I did see a really cool one the other day on the way to the store. I found a picture of it on the web (no pun intended:lol:) It is a tree spider (Araneus Andrewsi) She was an orange-ish color and her web was not as neat as an orb weaver.

Attachments

• AraneusAndrewsi.jpg
    AraneusAndrewsi.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 25
That is a GREAT pic!!! LOL...I hate spiders as well...I have a little story to share with you!! Today Im rushing around Im in my little night shirt, hot rollers in my hair...one eye has eye makeup...in the process of doing the other..the doorbell rings! I go to the door...I knew it was Fed-ex delivering my puppies new LV collar, and I LOVE my fedex chic...she is a bit butch and a really kind lady. ANYWAY>...I open the door and right at the door is a BIG black scary as hell SCORPION...the devils of Key west. Im barefoot, the dogs ar running around and the fedex lady is like OH GOD!! Im like ****...help me!! Ran back up the stairs to get bug killer (hair rollers shaking around...no bra...in my night shirt....) run back downtstairs and the fedex lady saved the day...she drowned it poison and then BAM stomped on it!! I hugged her.:nuts: She was like damn woman...that was a big scorpion!! It is the second one I have seen in a week...they are coming to spray tomorrow!! YIKES!! DAMN bugs.

Sunshine said:
That is a GREAT pic!!! LOL...I hate spiders as well...I have a little story to share with you!! Today Im rushing around Im in my little night shirt, hot rollers in my hair...one eye has eye makeup...in the process of doing the other..the doorbell rings! I go to the door...I knew it was Fed-ex delivering my puppies new LV collar, and I LOVE my fedex chic...she is a bit butch and a really kind lady. ANYWAY>...I open the door and right at the door is a BIG black scary as hell SCORPION...the devils of Key west. Im barefoot, the dogs ar running around and the fedex lady is like OH GOD!! Im like ****...help me!! Ran back up the stairs to get bug killer (hair rollers shaking around...no bra...in my night shirt....) run back downtstairs and the fedex lady saved the day...she drowned it poison and then BAM stomped on it!! I hugged her.:nuts: She was like damn woman...that was a big scorpion!! It is the second one I have seen in a week...they are coming to spray tomorrow!! YIKES!! DAMN bugs.

I will take spiders over scorpions anyday!! :s