I quit luxury. Selling all Chanel bags to get back to minimalist style. I feel overwhelmed.

I agree. I often don’t understand it when ppl say they buy Chanel bag as an investment :hrmm:
I don't think some people mean buying them "as an investment" rather where you choose to invest or spend your money. Some people spend hundred's or thousands of dollars on golfing or any other hobby. My feeling is, a long as you get some pleasure from it, at least you have something to show for it .....and you can get a portion of your money back after using it for years.

Goodbye @RataDrawitra ! Others can only respect your decision.

Not specific to OP's decision/comment: I can see how TPF is 'enabling' in that you see new bags, chat with like-minded (or, equally obsessed) individuals but ultimately, I feel like I'm in control of what I actually buy and I use TPF as a resource (rather than confirmation) to learn what bags are available in what seasons, ask question etc.
Goodbye @RataDrawitra ! Others can only respect your decision.

Not specific to OP's decision/comment: I can see how TPF is 'enabling' in that you see new bags, chat with like-minded (or, equally obsessed) individuals but ultimately, I feel like I'm in control of what I actually buy and I use TPF as a resource (rather than confirmation) to learn what bags are available in what seasons, ask question etc.

I agree, it is a great resource.

I completely understand how social media has influenced you to buy, even when you felt you didn’t need to. You will now be free from worry about the money spent, whether the bags are safe when you aren’t carrying them, you’ll also save loads on a homeowners or renters policy if they were insured.
Invest 50% of your consignment sales in a money market, take a trip with the rest and have a happy life.❤️ Luxury goods will always be there if you decide to come back.

I don't think some people mean buying them "as an investment" rather where you choose to invest or spend your money. Some people spend hundred's of dollars on golfing or any other hobby. At least you have something to show for it and you can get a portion of your money back after using it for years.
I never think buying luxury like Chanel is an investment. I just loved them and always wanted to own
I completely understand how social media has influenced you to buy, even when you felt you didn’t need to. You will now be free from worry about the money spent, whether the bags are safe when you aren’t carrying them, you’ll also save loads on a homeowners or renters policy if they were insured.
Invest 50% of your consignment sales in a money market, take a trip with the rest and have a happy life.❤️ Luxury goods will always be there if you decide to come back.
Thank you very much. like I said " I am not strong enough " I blame myself. PUrseforum is great as always.

I don't think some people mean buying them "as an investment" rather where you choose to invest or spend your money. Some people spend hundred's or thousands of dollars on golfing or any other hobby. My feeling is, a long as you get some pleasure from it, at least you have something to show for it .....and you can get a portion of your money back after using it for years.
Every time I see/read an article about some handbag (or brand) being an "investment", I roll my eyes big-time! Bottom line, that may have been true years back - re: Hermes Birkin when they were a lot tougher to get your hands on, but nowadays? ... NOPE! If anything, I'm seeing the opposite .. people are losing a fair amount of $$$ in the resale market and one of the big problems is that there are SO (too) many now!!!

As a Balenciaga collector, I decided some years back that: 1) the brand really suits my style 2) the bags are lightweight and as such, I can still use them given my shoulder/neck/back issues -and- 3) the prices are way more affordable than Chanel, LV and of course Hermes. Now, that being said, yes .. I do have 3 Birkins and 2 Vintage Chanel Jumbo bags purchased MANY years ago. I do love the Chanel Jumbo's, so those will stay .. but have been toying with selling the Birkins because frankly, I just do not use them and my philosophy has always been "what you don't use - is money that should be in the Bank"!

The ONLY investment that I make nowadays is Gold & Diamonds .. BUT, I'm also a Jewelry Designer and Metalsmith (I make my own pieces). So, no more bags for me .. but if I see a good piece of Gold (heavy Gram Weight) for a good price .. then BOOM, I buy it. However, I use that gold (all my work is recycled Gold) .. so, yes .. I do get the return on my $$$.

I also think, as you get older .. you just start paring down; that's not to say that you don't continue to be fashionable, but I just think you don't 'care' about the material things as much (my opinion).

Every time I see/read an article about some handbag (or brand) being an "investment", I roll my eyes big-time! Bottom line, that may have been true years back - re: Hermes Birkin when they were a lot tougher to get your hands on, but nowadays? ... NOPE! If anything, I'm seeing the opposite .. people are losing a fair amount of $$$ in the resale market and one of the big problems is that there are SO (too) many now!!!

As a Balenciaga collector, I decided some years back that: 1) the brand really suits my style 2) the bags are lightweight and as such, I can still use them given my shoulder/neck/back issues -and- 3) the prices are way more affordable than Chanel, LV and of course Hermes. Now, that being said, yes .. I do have 3 Birkins and 2 Vintage Chanel Jumbo bags purchased MANY years ago. I do love the Chanel Jumbo's, so those will stay .. but have been toying with selling the Birkins because frankly, I just do not use them and my philosophy has always been "what you don't use - is money that should be in the Bank"!

The ONLY investment that I make nowadays is Gold & Diamonds .. BUT, I'm also a Jewelry Designer and Metalsmith (I make my own pieces). So, no more bags for me .. but if I see a good piece of Gold (heavy Gram Weight) for a good price .. then BOOM, I buy it. However, I use that gold (all my work is recycled Gold) .. so, yes .. I do get the return on my $$$.

I also think, as you get older .. you just start paring down; that's not to say that you don't continue to be fashionable, but I just think you don't 'care' about the material things as much (my opinion).
Thank you !! yes, money should be in the bank !! that's why I quit. I don't have a million dollars to buy everything I wanted that why buying and selling is a bad circle for me. it seemed endless as well. I needed to stop!! Because deep down I got the answer "It's not worth it for me". I spent a lot of energy pondering selling buying and it ends now. Thanks again.

Having worked in the jewelry business for a long time and being an avid fan, I don't purchase items as an investment either, because there is no gain when you sell anything, only scrap value for gold and wholesale value for diamonds. I do however believe that if you wear something you love and enjoy, it's worth it. I know so many people who only wear some items of jewelry for special occasions (same thing goes for handbags), in that case, it is really not worth it. I only buy things that I can wear and feel comfortable wearing all the time!

I don’t blame you for wanting to become a minimalist. We live in a culture where many people love fast fashion and excess. I really get annoyed when other people say things like “Every woman should own”.... If you don't see yourself using something then there is no reason to have it sitting and collecting dust.
Thank you for your sweet comment.

Reactions: Joelene
I understand how you feel. I don’t know how big your bag collection is but as others have said it’s ok to splurge if you can afford it and are not sacrificing other valuable things in life for that. Of course if you feel better to let go of everything you do what makes you happy. But as others commented maybe stop buying and enjoy what you have for some time? Seller remorse is awful and I find that we go through different mindsets in life depending on our current situation and environment. If you don’t need the money right now, hold on to your bags for some time and see how you feel in a few months. Or maybe sell the first few and see how you feel before selling all.
Best wishes to you whatever you decide :smile:. Yes TPF is enabling but also loaded with information and so much fun. And this is what it’s about, having some fun in life :smile:

I understand how you feel. I don’t know how big your bag collection is but as others have said it’s ok to splurge if you can afford it and are not sacrificing other valuable things in life for that. Of course if you feel better to let go of everything you do what makes you happy. But as others commented maybe stop buying and enjoy what you have for some time? Seller remorse is awful and I find that we go through different mindsets in life depending on our current situation and environment. If you don’t need the money right now, hold on to your bags for some time and see how you feel in a few months. Or maybe sell the first few and see how you feel before selling all.
Best wishes to you whatever you decide :smile:. Yes TPF is enabling but also loaded with information and so much fun. And this is what it’s about, having some fun in life :smile:
I was seeling to Fashionphile, on Tradesy together like $25,000. the last lot of shipments to AFF like $10,000. I am tired of this endless circle and I can't find myself enjoying anymore. I lost a lot of money of cause, I looked back and I am done and I quit. I will use the money for traveling with hubby more. I went for luxurious vacation last week and I find myself the real happiness to fullfill.

I was seeling to Fashionphile, on Tradesy together like $25,000. the last lot of shipments to AFF like $10,000. I am tired of this endless circle and I can't find myself enjoying anymore. I lost a lot of money of cause, I looked back and I am done and I quit. I will use the money for traveling with hubby more. I went for luxurious vacation last week and I find myself the real happiness to fullfill.
Best wishes to you! Of course whatever makes you happy. If you feel the bags are causing more distress than happiness then definitely let go! But let go of the guilt as well. Whatever you bought made you happy at some point. We waste money on tons of things like cars, hobbies, nail salons... that’s the point of money:smile:. It’s great that you can recoup some of the money spent on bags. That wouldn’t be possible with other items we buy so look at it this way :smile:.