I need a Bag for School! Any Ideas??

Lisadoodle: A Goyard and get a Chanel Valentine key chain? I love how you think! Hah hah!! :tup::tup:

oh i agree with the goyard option. they make cute totes and less people seem to have them than LV's so u will have something a bit different. then maybe treat yourself to the new chanel valentine key chain!

Wow! That's why I love this place! You ladies are resourceful and have great ideas.

Sabine: Thanks for the NeverFull vote. Like I said it is *very* tempting. :yes:

Lisadoodle: Thanks for the idea! :tup: I am gonna check out the Goyard store this weekend! I like the color options and the fact that it's more low-key than an LV. You know, given the times, I am kinda in the closet these days. :shrugs:

Babyhart: I love the idea of trying to get a vintage Chanel that might work!! If I can find one relatively quickly, that is. I will look today. Thanks for the great idea!

nycitygirl191: Now you're talking! I am not a fan of the LV usually but I love the Damier Graphite. Maybe cause I am not such a fan of brown and the Damier Graphite is grey?? Also, it doesn't scream LV brown so maybe it will be less blingy. Love it! I will check out this weekend! Thanks for the idea. :yes:

Ladydeluxe: Hm, I wonder if the Biarritz (sp??) is still around. I hadn't seen it in the stores the last few times I went. But maybe as a vintage?

Thanks, Guys! I have so many more ideas than before!

the neverfull have too light of the handle (its thin) and after u put in everything and if u are wearing a strapless or a tank (like i usually do) then it ends up hurting your shoulder. Paris Bizartes (okay i am spelling it wrong)is great! i got the big size and i used it for a while but my mum said she wants it (cause mine was silver color) and took it without notice..
now i am using my tweed tote (cambon tote- tweed version) and my free bag pack that Haas gave as a "welcome present"... but people from L &S or sproul sometime give u dirty looks.. u know what i mean.. lol

Hi Guys! I was wondering if I could pick at your brains a bit.

Do you guys have a good idea for a school bag? My requirement: that it be light, that it have some structure and that it be nice enough to take to work yet casual and sturdy enough to put on the floor. Ew, I know. ;) Price range: something under or around $1000 would be great.

I'm back in school and I realized none of my bags really work. They're either too dressy or too delicate and nothing I feel good about putting on the floor.

I can't use what I used to use in undergrad-- a North Face/Jansport backpack just doesn't cut it when I go to class straight from work. :P I used my giant Chanel XL Rock Flap a couple of times but it kinda flopped all over the place. Plus maybe it's too blingy for school? Not sure. :confused1: My Purses-to-Go are in the mail so maybe the XL Jumbo would help with the floppiness? But that wouldn't solve the too blingy factor. Plus I don't want to put it on the floor cause the vinyl although hardy, isn't very scratch proof.

Even tho I am not really an LV girl, I think a Vuitton in damier or monogram would work because it just seems like such a tough yet light bag. It would also hold my books much better without flopping over. I saw a young woman (maybe high school, maybe college) with an LV Never Full monogram as her school bag and that's what gave me the idea. She had hers on the floor and I thought, of course! Coated canvas is tough and sturdy and you can wipe things off! But the straps seem kinda thin. Would it be able to take the weight of my books?

I just love the coated canvas part of it! So much so I am almost considering a L.A.M.B. which is even cheaper. It's not something I'd normally get but this is for school.

http://cgi.ebay.com/L-A-M-B-GWEN-STEFANI-WILTSHIRE-SADDLE-TOTE-BAG-WALLET_W0QQitemZ260357597894QQihZ016QQcategoryZ63852QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The L.A.M.B. is cute (and SO much cheaper than an LV or my Rock Flap) but am I overlooking any other bags? What else should I consider?

Again, it has to be relatively light (I am too old to carry too much! :sweatdrop:) and it should have some structure!

Thanks in advance, guys!! :tup:

Hiya! :smile:

I went through the same dilemma a few months ago, and in the end I settled for two vintage gucci totes ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160295877963 and http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330285228252 in case you were interested).
Not only can you snap them up really cheap, they are not as commonplace as some LV styles and have a slightly casual feel about them so I don't feel at all overdressed. Coated canvas is also very sturdy (its got to be to last this long!). Just a thought!
Good luck finding something good!

xxx

i think the portebello wud be a good option, as its soft and light, so it wont be too heavy wen u put ur books in.

ull prob have probs with gst's and jumbos cuz they are a lil heavy itself. i say a portebello wud be good!
The Portobello is good, but if you really weigh it down the chains leave marks on your shoulders. Plus it's above 2k...

I recommend the Paris Biarritz tote as well. :yes:

I would go with a black tote from Chanels Travel ligne. I always travel with my canvas travel piece and it's light, low maintenance, and takes a beating..... You could probably pick one up in great condition pre-owned for way less than 1K.

Wow! That's why I love this place! You ladies are resourceful and have great ideas.

Sabine: Thanks for the NeverFull vote. Like I said it is *very* tempting. :yes:

Lisadoodle: Thanks for the idea! :tup: I am gonna check out the Goyard store this weekend! I like the color options and the fact that it's more low-key than an LV. You know, given the times, I am kinda in the closet these days. :shrugs:

Babyhart: I love the idea of trying to get a vintage Chanel that might work!! If I can find one relatively quickly, that is. I will look today. Thanks for the great idea!

nycitygirl191: Now you're talking! I am not a fan of the LV usually but I love the Damier Graphite. Maybe cause I am not such a fan of brown and the Damier Graphite is grey?? Also, it doesn't scream LV brown so maybe it will be less blingy. Love it! I will check out this weekend! Thanks for the idea. :yes:

Ladydeluxe: Hm, I wonder if the Biarritz (sp??) is still around. I hadn't seen it in the stores the last few times I went. But maybe as a vintage?

Thanks, Guys! I have so many more ideas than before!

The only think about Goyard is that you may experience the paint wearing and chipping if you're using it kinda rough for school books and stuff...... It's not as low maintenance of a canvas as LV mono or damier, maybe more like LV multicolor (since that pattern is screened on and also can experience wear) but my Goyard bag has started to show a little wear with very normal use, not really bad that others can tell but I can and it's not something I even use everyday. Just my 2 cents.....

cuteangel7777: Hm, that's a good point re: straps digging in. When I went to Cal I had to carry a library on my shoulders and thin straps don't work! Thanks for the heads up on the NeverFull. But you use a tweed tote? Do you put it on the floor? Hm, free Haas bag is good! You gotta save money for the Chanels! Hah hah! I can't go tomorrow to Chanel w/ you as I have to work. But maybe some Friday next time as I don't work Fridays (or Saturdays or Sundays). Heh heh. :P

nemesis-lg: What a great idea re: old Gucci coated canvas totes! I checked some out on eBay and there is one I like. And you're right-- they're super, super inexpensive. Thanks! :tup:

missisa07: Hm, Biarritz is a contender but doesn't have that wipe down factor I like. However, if it's super light...?? I will go to the store and check. Thanks!! :yes:

Julybaby: Which LV do you use for school? I want coated canvas of some sort. Why don't they make Damier Graphite for women? It would match more of my clothes. Waaaah. :crybaby:

LVilla: Lots of people have suggested this bag but I am not super familiar with the actual weight and guts of the bag so I will check out this weekend. Thanks!

Hey Guys: Look what I found on eBay. What do you think? I think I could hose this bag down and it would be ok. :graucho: I don't think it's leather as it states tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110346923383

I completey agree with everyone who has suggested the Paris Biarritz. I have the jumbo one, and it would be perfect for you. I also have the LV neverfull, so I just went in my closet and compared the two. The LV doesn't really "stand up" on its own. Mine is all wrinkled over because I don't have enough in it. The PB, on the other hand is very rigid, and stands open (and formed) on its own. Plus, I would be willing to put more weight in the PB. I have the gold one, and it doesn't have any stains, even though I use it as a diaper bag, because the material is very easy to wipe clean. The black one would probably really be a dream for keeping clean. HTH :tup:

Hi lola24! Thanks for the tip on Goyard and the print being screened on. Perhaps the Goyard won't work then... I can't seem to find anything in the travel ligne in the reference library. Not sure what it looks like but I love the fact that yours still looks new even tho you always travel with it. That sounds good! Thanks! :tup:

karat-top: I wish I could find the Biarritz in silver... I think that would be ideal. I love black but am trying to curb my over dependence on it, if you know what I mean! heh heh. :P

btw-- I was kinda kidding about the yellow patent Chanel bag. It's yellow and one of my best friends whose grandmother was a gypsy said yellow is the color of separation and would throw out her yellow shoes and clothes as a kid! Ever since she said that, I don't think I have purchased one yellow thing. Silly, huh? :P

Hey Chantal! See? That's why, even though I am not an LV Girl, I love the LVs. You can toss them around and they still look brand new! Hey, you mentioned that you have your books and laptop in there. Are the thin-nish straps ok with the weight? Re: the structure, yes, it's not uber structured but it's more structured than my Chanel XL Rock Flap! Thanks for the suggestions! :tup:

I'm not a LV girl either, it's probably the only LV bag I'll own. I do love they millions of accessories (cellphone holders, key holders, agenda) and shawls (scarves) though. The straps are thin but I haven't had any problems with the weight. My laptop is a MacbookPro 15" and I believe it's between 4-5lb. The days i do find it a bit heavy are when I bring a textbook. I normally carry a medium binder, my laptop, wallet, phone, a novel/magazine and sometimes a light sweater.

I know LV advertises it hold a ridiculous amount of weight too.

I wouldn't mind getting a macbook air, the lighter the better right? ;)

Do you carry a laptop?