I just got the letter

OP, I'm sorry to hear that you received one of the "dreaded" letters from Coach. I would definitely call Coach and ask them to provide me with a listing of the 8 items that they're claiming to have been returned without a receipt.

Last edited:
I returned a walnut maggie that came from jax with two deep scratches on it and the sa put as reason for return was that I didn't like that style. I didn't realize that she put that on the receipt until I got home. so that makes me look bad when it was really not my fault for the return.

I've also returned some defective items that had to be damaged out and the SAs listed "changed mind" on my retun receipts as well.

I've also returned some defective items that had to be damaged out and the SAs listed "changed mind" on my retun receipts as well.

i don't know how 'bad' doing this is--and i'm glad you spoke up! i can't believe they did that..cos how would they damage the item out? without a damage ticket? (damage ticket prints out after all the receipts)

if you have a lot of returns under your account, and its not listed as damage, i think there is a possibility that on *corporate* level they just see it as a lot of returns without receipts kwim?

they don't see that the bag gets damaged after, and theres no note on it

for the others who have had a receipt, and received a bag with defects/scratches/marks and its changed mind, thats okay

its when you don't have a receipt i think they should be careful.

not to scare anyone

but just, inform?

You know, thinking more about it, I think most stores do this! You can return without receipt, but if you start doing it more than a few times they can and will decline the return!

I think the policy to allow a return (which really, is just store credit I think?) without a receipt is just so that a frequent buyer who accidentally loses the odd receipt is not stuck with a purse. Though, I wonder if it would be easier if they didn't promote this though, and let it go on a case by case basis?

^I recently returned an embroidered Audrey (same fraying issue reported), and I didn't even think about this at the time. I just checked my receipt, and it shows "08-Damage", so they can do it if they just will!

You know, thinking more about it, I think most stores do this! You can return without receipt, but if you start doing it more than a few times they can and will decline the return!

I think the policy to allow a return (which really, is just store credit I think?) without a receipt is just so that a frequent buyer who accidentally loses the odd receipt is not stuck with a purse. Though, I wonder if it would be easier if they didn't promote this though, and let it go on a case by case basis?

technically the policy states you can with a receipt

there is nothing in writing about without a receipt

it really depends. most stores will, but on principle to make the customer happy. it is one of those, accommodations..

in general you need a receipt for every return

i don't think i've seen a policy with coach in writing, ever, in regards to items without a receipt.

not singling your post, but because you brought it up i just wanted to make a point from it :P

Yes, and you would not have the receipt with you if you had no receipt to begin with, lol, so I hope the policy is the same at the cashwrap! I've never noticed TBH.

Current selling price may be for those times when the Bleecker bags went on sale, for ex, or for shoes, I guess, that have gone on sale.

no, its not the same as the cashwrap i think. which is what i was basing on.

but i could have skimmed over it, reading fast means missing the middle sometimes

shoes, yes.

more often then the bleecker, hampton, or any of the 'specially' picked bags that they marked down that one christmas holiday--that testing scheme didn't go so well.......................

i return all the time and have never had an issue. i buy mostly se/le bags and my particular store doesn't carry these. it's one of those if you buy it you don't care for it but if you let is pass you buy you'll be scrambling to find one later. i'm religious about my receipts and should be because of the price of the merchandise. my sa's have even made comments saying how i always have my receipts in order. the products are hundreds of dollars, not 5 or 10 bucks so yeah, i'm gonna keep track of them to prevent issues in the future should i decide to return. yeah, it sucks you got a letter like that but i guess i can kinda see coach's side of it. not saying you're a reseller or anything but if you have 15 people return 6 bags each that cost $500 that is $45,000 worth of merchandise. that's a lot of money. with this economy i can see why companies are paying more attention to this sort of thing. and from what i remember my receipts say changed mind too. i have had a couple listed as damaged but they were ones that showed up scratched/scuffed/etc.

Let me get this straight.

So you got the letter because....

1. you returned without the receipt?
or
2. you returned too many bags with/without the receipt?

This has nothing to do with reseller issue, right?

I just cannot believe this. I am SO SORRY OP.

Re: damaged/defective bags:

I've sent in bags for repair - without receipt.
And sometimes have been issued credit.

Is it good to send receipt with the damaged bag?

What if the bag was purchased at a dept store?

Does a dept store receipt "count" as a receipt?

I usually lurk but after reading several of these types of threads, finally wanted to chime in. I've been a Coach customer for about ten years and have always kept my receipts. I probably don't buy as much as some of you, so I don't have multiple item receipts which keeps them pretty small. I typically fold the receipt up, as small as possible and stick it into one of the pockets of the bag. That way, if the bag turns out to be defective, I can take it right in, with proof of purchase. I have only returned one bag for this reason (glam tote with flaking metallic silver), but you never know, given some of the quality issues they are having.

As an aside, I wish they would just tighten up their return policies and make it consistent for all. I think with the proliferation of ebay and other selling venues, that there is probably more return abuse going on then ever. Because of this, I imagine Coach is getting a little agressive in how they approach this problem, but obviously some innocent buyers are getting caught up in the mess.