I just adopted an abandoned kitten!

melanierez

O.G.
Apr 9, 2007
I was at my cousin's house last Saturday for a barbecue, and she is the ultimate cat lover. She has 6 cats and one kitten, and her daughter who lives upstairs has 12 cats and one kitten, and almost all of them were found in her backyard, because she feeds stray cats outside. I always joked that if she found a really cute kitten, then maybe I would develop cat lust!

Anyway, she went to light the barbecue and called me outside, because there was the tiniest grey and white kitten laying right next to the barbecue all by himself. It was love at first sight. Once I picked him up, it was all over.

We named him Louie (for Louie Vuitton, of course!), because he was a boy, or he would have been Fendi or Gucci! I know absolutely nothing about kittens or cats, so I have had a crash course in one week. We have to bottle feed him, because he is so small, and we even have to stimulate him with a wet cotton ball to make him pee and poop, just like a mother cat would at this age!

I took him to the vet last week, and he said he looks healthy, and he laughed when I told him that my cousin gave him to me, because he's the vet for all of her cats. He said he was about four weeks old, and he was probably abandoned when the mother was moving him from one place to another. I do have to give him medicine because he has a parasite, but the vet said not to worry.

My biggest challenge now is to get him to eat on his own and use the litter box before I go back to work after Labor Day (I am a teacher). I better see lots of changes in the next two weeks!

Any suggestions to teach him to eat or use the litter box would be greatly appreciated! I got him to eat some soft kitten food yesterday, but he wouldn't go near it on his own yet. Wish me luck!

Bless your heart for giving Louie a loving home! Post a photo when you can, please.

I know nothing about cats or tiny kittens, but lots of people here do, so I know you will get some good suggestions. Good luck!!

That's so wonderful :smile: I hope little Louie learns fast! Wish I had some advice! If anything, try to keep him confined, maybe in a bathroom with his litter box and food until he gets used to the idea, but that's all I can think of.

We got one of our cats the same way...found him outside and brought the rascal in...thankfully it was as if he knew what the litter box was, so no worries there. We just put him with the box and food in the bathroom and he caught on quick. It is a great feeling being able to help a critter find a home forever.

About the litter box, if you're stimulating him to "do his business", maybe do that when he's in the litter box? Also, if he has any accidents, scoop up whatever he did and put it in the box so that the box smells like "toilet." I remember doing this with a kitten I had as a kid--he kept peeing on this baby blanket we put in his bed, so we stuck the entire baby blanket into the back of his litter box, and he got the idea.

Louie sounds adorable and it sounds like you are doing all the right things. I have no advice, but want to wish you the best. Maybe you can post some pictures when you have a chance!

I adopted my last cat from my high school when he was about 6 weeks old. He was a feral kitty that was rescued from a small tree w/ one of his brothers, so he didn't know what was going on when I placed him in my bathroom w/ a litter box and some food. I actually hand fed him wet food for a few days (after that he was hooked) and the litter box he figured out on his own pretty much. I did place him in it at first just so he would be familiar w/ the box and the litter. Maybe he naturally went there since the litter was the closest thing to dirt or something. Good luck! That's awesome of you to adopt him :smile:

good for you!!! kittens are so much fun and make great pets....i dont know much about having them that young but he will catch on fast....they learn really quickly to use the box and like to be clean...do you have a large crate at your house?? you can put the litter box in there with a kitty bed and when you are out let him stay in there until he gets used to the litter box....right now he may be too young but in a week or two he should be able to use it on his own...good luck and post pics...you are so nice to take in this kitty....

Thanks for all of your ideas! I fed him kitten food mixed with the formula today with a spoon like he was a little baby! He ate it when I fed it to him, but he wouldn't go near the dish by himself.

We try to stimulate him after he eats, and I placed him in the litter box after he started to urinate to try to give him the idea. After we fed him tonight, we did the same thing, but he didn't seem to need to poop, and then he fell asleep on my shoulder purring like crazy. After about 30 minutes, I knew I was in trouble, because I smelled the warning first, and then the next thing I knew he pooped all over my leg! Thankfully, my husband was right there, so he helped clean me up and then we needed to shampoo Louie because he got it all over himself too. My husband was just glad that it was me and not him! I was too traumatized at the moment to put some in the litter box, but I better get him litter trained soon!

How do you post pictures? Is there a post somewhere that will tell me how to do it, and then I can share my Louie pictures.

go to photobucket.com (its free) ,,,then you can upload pics from your computer....copy and paste the "direct link" into the little mountain icon above and then you will have your pic right in your post....
he sounds so cute!!! not the poop of course but you are so great to be caring for him....lol

Just a little Louie update -I was getting very frustrated with his accidents, but he is now doing all of his business in the litter box! I kept him in the crate for most of the past few days, and I only took him out for short periods of time, unless he just used the litter box, and that seemed to work. Now I just have to get him to stop sitting in it when he's done, but one milestone at a time!

He has also started to eat kitten food, although I have to spoon feed him first until he gets the idea. I try not to be out of the house for more than a few hours, so I can check on his progress.

I will post a picture in the next few days, I promise. I've never used photobucket before, so I need a little tutoring from my husband first!

Thanks for all of your support and suggestions to keep him confined. That really seemed to work!