I Hate Living in the Country/Suburbs

Smokehouse

Mar 29, 2007
I've just about lost it. I just moved 45 miles from the city, and I am in desperate need of a one-hour martinizing/dry cleaning service on Saturday and NO ONE HERE DOES IT.

I'm tired of eating at chain restaurants. I'm tired of oversensitized allergies because we are in an overabundance of mother nature. I'm sick of the soccer moms driving their million kids in their stupid gas guzzlin SUVs. I'm tired of listenign to my favorite radio station with tons of static because we are too far away to get good reception. I'm tired of the commute and I miss my favorite coffee shop and pastry in the city. The shopping sucks and the food here sucks. Moving back is not an option. Will I ever get used to this?

I think one can get used to it, but it may be hard to accept it or like it. I feel just like you. We moved and I hate it so much. I do have the most wonderful neighbors here which make it so much better. But I miss the other towns I lived in. I miss shopping at a upscale store. I miss the speciality markets where I could buy Italian pastry and all sorts of other goodies. I miss taking drives to fun places that are in the next town or two. It really is hard to live in a place where you feel no connection. Then it is depressing to think you actually HAVE to live there. I hate the thought that I might be stuck here for years..............Stay positive, there has to be some good points too. Let me know when you think of some............

i am the opposite, i love country living, i love the open spaces and the trucks and the farm land!!! i am really growing tired of living in a city and i can't wait till i am done with school and move back to the country/suburbs!

if you are THAT unhappy with living in the country/suburbs then you should move back to the city.

if you are THAT unhappy with living in the country/suburbs then you should move back to the city.

I really wish I could, but as I stated in my OP, it's not an option. :sad:

And you are right, Gilliana...I totally miss the specialty shops. One french bakery where I used to buy really quaint birthday cakes and pastries, clothing boutiques, used clothing stores, good ethnic restaurants seems so far out of reach right now. I've had to settle for the cakes found in the aisles of a large chain supermarket. (okay do I sound shallow or what.)

There's no clothes shopping to be heard of here except for TJ Maxx. Since the weather is warmer out here, mostly everyone dresses like scantily clad sluts. It seems like the only thing people care about here are their big souped-up SUVs. My tiny commuter car is so out of place here.

I feel like Dorothy in Oz, but at least Oz was cool with colorful midgets and stuff.

You will eventually get used to it. Try not to look at it as a bad thing that you moved to the country. Try and appreciate the birds singing, the trees and the green grass...Those are the nice things in life that you don't really get in the city. Do you notice that the air is a lot more clean where you live now? Now you don't have to breathe in nasty exhaust fumes!

Would it be okay if I asked what big city you moved away from?

Not every situation ideal, but I think the most important thing is to try and make the best out of every situation!

I am the opposite as well...I just came back from the city and it is a good thing because I was just about to have the mother of all mental breakdowns; I couldn't wait to get out. I am sure that you feel the exact same way about being where you are. I think that is kind of interesting, because I, too, thought if I had to move there (which may happen for work someday) I wonder if I could ever get used to having everything at my beckon call?

I wish you the absolute best of luck as you make you transition!

Would it be okay if I asked what big city you moved away from?

San Francisco.

Thanks so much for the kind words, Lamia. I'm trying to be thankful that I'm at least only an hour away from civilization. I'm also trying to remember that I am building equity in a nice big house that you can't find in the city.

Sometimes I don't think it's even worth it, though.

I really wish I could, but as I stated in my OP, it's not an option. :sad:

And you are right, Gilliana...I totally miss the specialty shops. One french bakery where I used to buy really quaint birthday cakes and pastries, clothing boutiques, used clothing stores, good ethnic restaurants seems so far out of reach right now. I've had to settle for the cakes found in the aisles of a large chain supermarket. (okay do I sound shallow or what.)

There's no clothes shopping to be heard of here except for TJ Maxx. Since the weather is warmer out here, mostly everyone dresses like scantily clad sluts. It seems like the only thing people care about here are their big souped-up SUVs. My tiny commuter car is so out of place here.

I feel like Dorothy in Oz, but at least Oz was cool with colorful midgets and stuff.

I'm a big city gal and I moved to another continent (North America) and lived in the styx. Well it wasn't really the styx but when my folks visited all my pa could do was complain that there was nothing to do. Then we moved to Texas and he visited and complained we are living in farm land! As for me, I'm not that bothered. I feel if you are happy in yourself then you should be able to let those external things go, like non-chain restaurants, non-boutique clothing stores etc etc.

You will have to be more resourceful and may be cook the meals you would have eaten at restaurants, may be learn to bake your own cakes? Though I'm not going to tell you to make your own clothes LOL!!!

I hope I'm not coming across as critical because I'm not criticising you. However, since you are stuck here you are going to have to make huge adjustments and try and let go of those things you used to love.

You're not cut off completely since you still have the internet. What on earth did we do before the internet was invented??!! It sounds like your going to have to spend more time in the house, hence the internet in great. I keep apace with what's going on online.

This really made me laugh 'Since the weather is warmer out here, mostly everyone dresses like scantily clad sluts.' I know what you mean! I am seriously over-dressed but who cares, that's me. I'm never going to be the type of person wearing hotpants and skimpy tops.

Anyway, may be you'll never adjust, I don't know, we are all different, but for the sake of your sanity give it a try.

Good luck!

San Francisco.

Thanks so much for the kind words, Lamia. I'm trying to be thankful that I'm at least only an hour away from civilization. I'm also trying to remember that I am building equity in a nice big house that you can't find in the city.

Sometimes I don't think it's even worth it, though.

Just give it time :smile: I moved around a lot as a kid (my dad was in the Army) and as a teenager/adult, so I think that's why I try to have a positive outlook on such things...Sometimes there's just nothing you can do!

Be glad that you're that close to a big city. When we lived in California (Fort Irwin, in the middle of the Mojave Desert), we had THREE HOURS until we got to LA! The next "big city" to us was Barstow or Victorsville! :wtf:

You know what they say...you can take the girl out of the city, but....

This happened to a relative of mine who moved from a MAJOR U.S. city to another state and small town 4 hours away. It's a great place to raise her kids, she always reminds herself.

Thank god for online shopping!!

I guess all I can offer is empathy. It sucks when the things you love aren't around you any longer. But try to find at least one new thing you like and take it from there. Maybe a park, a jogging trail, a nearby lake, etc - ? Do you have more room at your place to try gardening or something new with your decor to bring the urban feel you love to your new digs?

most of the suburb/country areas in nor cal are growing FAST, my bf is from manteca and in one year they got a khols, panda express, and a number of other "chain" things...since he was little it was really only a wal-mart in his town. you'll either get used to it or itll grow, FAST!

I could have written your post word for word. I am in the same boat; just moved to the 'burbs a year ago and I am still having a hard time adjusting. If one more person asks me to play "bunko" I am going to scream.