Humane python?

I love the look of real python skin, but, in another thread someone pointed out that the animal is skinned alive to obtain the hide?!?! :amazed: Does anyone know if this is always the case, or if a bag is identified to be "...imported with the international rules safeguarding the species", would that mean the process is not done to the live animal?
I just bought a nice bag that I like, but will not keep if this was what was done to make it. Can anyone help?

To get back to topic, OP, is it possible that you could contact the Customer Service department of the maker/designer of your bag and ask about how/where they acquire their skins?

Whoa. Why so defensive? Jellyv offered to end the dialogue, so why the need to get the last Word in? Let it go.

Defensive about what? She attempted to dis-credit me as a person via bringing up the fact that i mentioned (in a completely different thread) that i would hope a paedophile would be dealt with accordingly. I would wonder about that person if that is their argument...

Oh and extensive tests have been done on animals brains to decipher how much pain they feel at certain times and there were definate rises when anything we would consider painful was being done to them. In the case of foxes they would actually squeal afterwards (see the videos)...

I can see though that you are very much pro skins so i think we should respectfully agree to disagree. Attempting to dis-credit or talk down to somebody because of your own emotions is not the best idea.

the film on the PETA site shows their heads being cut off first

anyway, this discussion and especially the PETA film has really made me sick to my stomach; I'd never thought I'd say this but I don't think I could ever look at another piece of lizard or snakeskin again without thinking about that film...

I haven't seen the film, but I'm not really into exotics anyways, so I don't feel the need to watch it. I have little respect for PETA as they tend to sensationalize everything. It's too bad too because they could do a lot of good as an organization, but they just lack credibility.

Reactions: SakuraSakura
^ I agree with almost everything you've said here vhdos! I am quite into exotics, and I've never bothered wit PETA before as I too think they're taking things too far. As far as I'm concerned, as long as I eat meat I don't mind wearing or carrying other types of animal skin as long as the animal is treated somewhat humanely. I was just wondering, can't it just be the type of footage used here? i.e., I don't believe all exotic animals are treated the same way - perhaps it's just a fact that there are horrible illegal dealers in Asia and other parts of the world that treat snakes etc. like this to keep costs low. I cannot imagine manufacureres like Hermes using these sorts of skins. There must be a less horrible way to do this. And CITES is here for a reason, right?

Reactions: SakuraSakura
Thanks everyone, for your input.

To get back to topic, OP, is it possible that you could contact the Customer Service department of the maker/designer of your bag and ask about how/where they acquire their skins?

That's an idea, But I have found no information on the "Italian designer" Listed on the tag, or if that notation I originally quoted on the label "...imported with the international rules safeguarding the species" can tell me anything about what the rules are in the processing methods.

I surely hope the gruesome snake skinning methods debated here are the exception rather than the rule, but as I can't find squat in a search, I can't feel ok about this bag. You would think design houses would get the word out to counter the PETA and related claims if they could assure consumers that python skins for their products are obtained with the most humane means. I'm not finding anything.

I just wanna clear things up!
I've worked in a sheep abattoir (in Australia and New Zealand) before, and my dad has worked in both cow and sheep abattoirs, and they are killed as HUMANELY as possible before being skinned. The RSPCA frequently visits to make sure no animal is suffering. I've seen it for myself.

Step 1) Animal is electrocuted so they faint/ black out (and won't feel any pain in the next step).
Step 2) They are slaughtered swiftly, with a very sharp knife to the vein in the neck, so the process is very quick.

Only after they are truly dead then they are skinned ( yes, when the body is still warm).

Hope that helps!

How did I miss this post? +1

I told a friend about this and she was horrified and made a good point which is "why don't they chop off their head first?"
I mean its cold -- but at least the snake wouldn't feel any pain then. Do you think they do that?

I wish I didn't love leather and cheeseburgers so much :sad:

I told a friend about this and she was horrified and made a good point which is "why don't they chop off their head first?"
I mean its cold -- but at least the snake wouldn't feel any pain then. Do you think they do that?

I wish I didn't love leather and cheeseburgers so much :sad:

There's like a 'Rattlesnake Roundup' somewhere in the middle of the US (you guys would probably know more about this than I lol) where the cull thousands of pest rattlesnakes, and yes, they chop the heads off before skinning. And that is on a commercial scale as well!

(Why didn't I remember this earlier?)

I'll find the video and post it!

the head is chopped off, skinned and then all parts of the rattlesnakes [are] used. We end up cooking the meat, making belts, wallets, boots, whatever out of the hides

Oh, btw, it does get a bit graphic, so don't watch it if you don't feel comfortable around similar scenes.

I hope that's enough proof for you platinum_girly! :smile:

Last edited:
Personally I don't think there's any difference between leather, fur, and snakeskins. They are all the "hides" of animals. Leather just has the hair removed, that's the only difference between leather and fur.

For those who are about to reply "But we eat the meat of cows so the animal isn't used only for its hide" -- the cows raised for meat and dairy production are not the same as the cows raised for leather. Also, the meat of minks and snakes are also used after the skins are harvested (for cat food, and other animal foods).

I'll end by saying that I am an advocate of animal rights, but as long as I use leather and eat animal products I can't throw stones at anyone who choses to wear fur or carry a python bag.

I just wanna clear things up!
I've worked in a sheep abattoir (in Australia and New Zealand) before, and my dad has worked in both cow and sheep abattoirs, and they are killed as HUMANELY as possible before being skinned. The RSPCA frequently visits to make sure no animal is suffering. I've seen it for myself.

Step 1) Animal is electrocuted so they faint/ black out (and won't feel any pain in the next step).
Step 2) They are slaughtered swiftly, with a very sharp knife to the vein in the neck, so the process is very quick.

Only after they are truly dead then they are skinned ( yes, when the body is still warm).

Hope that helps!

thanks for the 'Expert Witness' report!

it is appreciated :smile:

Personally I don't think there's any difference between leather, fur, and snakeskins. They are all the "hides" of animals. Leather just has the hair removed, that's the only difference between leather and fur.

For those who are about to reply "But we eat the meat of cows so the animal isn't used only for its hide" -- the cows raised for meat and dairy production are not the same as the cows raised for leather. Also, the meat of minks and snakes are also used after the skins are harvested (for cat food, and other animal foods).

I'll end by saying that I am an advocate of animal rights, but as long as I use leather and eat animal products I can't throw stones at anyone who choses to wear fur or carry a python bag.

The bolded statement is not entirely true. Often times (not all of the time), the hides of cattle that are slaughtered for meat are sold to tanneries. Generally speaking, the hides of beef cattle are quite profitable.
I suppose it would be almost impossible to determine if a leather item came from a cattle cow or a cow raised specifically for leather.
I also eat meat and wear animal products, so I agree with your last statement.

Last edited:

I agree with this completely.