How you use/ organize using your SLGs

Teagaggle

Sep 29, 2014
Hey all -

I'm one of those dinosaurs who still use cash and a full size wallet. I am really looking to downsize and use smaller, even multiple smaller, SLGs which will allow me to utilize more of my handbag collection. I'm curious, particularly for those of you who use cash on a regular basis, how you utilize SLGs and how you organize your credit cards versus cash, allowing you to carry something smaller in the way of a handbag. TIA!

I usually use a full-size wallet. I don't carry a checkbook any longer but I usually keep one or two blank checks in my wallet. Some of the small, local merchants and providers in my area have started charging an extra fee if you pay with a credit card, so having a check available can come in handy. But sometimes I use the checkbook folder from one of my older wallets as a lightweight option to carry cash, ID, and a few credit cards.

Years ago, I purchased a black MFF Soho Mini Wallet F42810 at the outlet. I bought because it was cheap ($30) and I thought that it might come in handy. It has turned out to be one of my best purchases because it works great with many of my small bags.

There is a light-colored NWT version of this wallet listed for sale on ebay, see link below. It is small but it folds open to reveal an ID window, some credit card slots and miscellaneous slots, a double slot full-sized bill holder, and a zipper coin compartment. It's compact, light-weight, and it works well with many of my small bags and it lets me carry all the necessities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teagaggle
When I really want to go light-weight and small I may carry a wristlet and I use a credit card holder with a few slots for my ID, credit card, and some folded bills.

But another small, light-weight option that is great for outdoor events like concerts and fairs, is my Kristin Crossbody Bag 42128, see link below; it has a built-in wallet with slots and a large slot behind the wallet slots for bills, tickets, papers, etc. It's big enough for my phone, keys, etc but it is still small, light, convenient, and compact.

Years ago, I picked up a pink Kate Spade Envelope Pouch at the thrift store for only $1.50. I only bought it because it was cute, cheap, and it looked new, see the link below:

I didn't know what I would ever use it for but it has turned be very handy and I carry it in most bags. It's light-weight and it's great for organizing, coupons, receipts, and miscellaneous papers. It makes it easy to switch bags quickly!

I use for the most part a Dogon wallet which has compartments for my cards & cash.
All hidden which I like, so when you open the wallet you just see compartments
It doesn't look like a typical wallet & for me that was the drawing card to purchase it.
I have it for many years & find it very serviceable.

Reactions: katev and Teagaggle
Happy Saturday everyone! I wanted to show you what I ended up with, for now.
Black Coach 1941 card case (with customization I had done years ago) which is holding my cash & ID. Large card case holdingmy credit cards & a small suede card holder from Aimee Kestenberg to hold store discount cards & coupons. We'll see how this works on the daily!
Thanks again for your input & suggestions!
20240316_072610.jpg

I don't like to split my things into different SLGs. I switch wallets according to what I need to fit in.
Sometimes I use a slim card holder, card wallet or a key pouch, other times I want a regular wallet of some size or a wristlet.

Coach small wallet is great for downsizing. It's slim and roomy - I have 13 cards in mine, and I use cash now and then and it fits fine.

Happy Saturday everyone! I wanted to show you what I ended up with, for now.
Black Coach 1941 card case (with customization I had done years ago) which is holding my cash & ID. Large card case holdingmy credit cards & a small suede card holder from Aimee Kestenberg to hold store discount cards & coupons. We'll see how this works on the daily!
Thanks again for your input & suggestions!
View attachment 5967252
I enjoy using all the little slgs and like your set up! How is it working? Are you enjoying using smaller bags? It can be so freeing! For me, it's fun to switch slgs around and use various sizes depending on what I need, but also to enjoy the different colors and patterns. It's a treat for the eyes inside the bag. :smile: I hope you enjoy the process figuring out what you like to use.

It worked well! I think the main thing was separating my cash completely. I always carry some, rarely use it, but when I do, it's nice to only have to deal with that, you know? I'm such a creature of habit though so as soon as I moved back into a slightly bigger bag (current obsession is the Lana, which totally caught me by surprise) I moved back into my larger wallet. I do think I'll stick to the trio of SLGs though as it worked for me!

It worked well! I think the main thing was separating my cash completely. I always carry some, rarely use it, but when I do, it's nice to only have to deal with that, you know? I'm such a creature of habit though so as soon as I moved back into a slightly bigger bag (current obsession is the Lana, which totally caught me by surprise) I moved back into my larger wallet. I do think I'll stick to the trio of SLGs though as it worked for me!
That is wonderful you found your set up right away! I know it takes a minute to figure out how to store cash in a small case just right - especially folding it small enough not to get caught in a zipper. (I think yours probably doesn't have a zipper to be concerned by.) It's nice you can switch back and forth from the larger wallet depending on which fits in the bag of the day. Have fun!