How willing is Cartier to negotiate on a piece that is <$10k?

absolutanne

Looking for: B30 Croc in Vert .....
O.G.
Jul 22, 2006
I'm 26 and have recently been good about my shopping and budgeting habits (my last bag purchase was January 2009!) so FI has graciously allowed some generous spending money for moi! We are both full-time professionals and our money is pooled in together but he manages the day-to-day finances for us (I would just spend it all! so thank goodness for he's there!) Our wedding is in July and we are very excited!!

So, this is my first taste of high jewelry (higher than I ever was, my wedding band is clean plat Bvlgari band). I'm interested in Cartier's Trinity La Belle Ring - 6 band ring with 1 WG with "Cartier" inscribed in it -i love the contrast of the inscription on WG than YG- and it has a teeny white star diamond. It retails for $2625 US.

I would use this ring as a right hand ring for daily wear. I'm not big into diamonds but the diamond star does look cute.

My question for you ladies is: are prices for lower end pieces (< $10k) negotiable at Cartier?

Thanks!

Hmm, it seems hard to believe today especially since shopping malls in the US are not achieving their sales targets and layoffs for many US retailers are imminent.

I will ask though, I've had good luck in haggling throughout my life (like cars and tires) haha but not jewelry. A low-end basic Cartier Tank watch is about ~US$2500 which is around the same price as my ring and they are willing to negotiate on those items but not the Trinity collection?

I've never asked for a discount at Cartier (I'm not much of a haggler...I need to learn-lol). But I know you can get discounts on some things in the islands, or sometimes take advantage of exchange rates. If you're planning a trip abroad soon, maybe you could do some research about buying it then--to see if you can get a slightly better price.

I think they may be more willing to negotiate on the watches because there are other venues to buy their watches and some of those people do discount.:shrugs:

As someone who works retail, there are factors that help managers decide whether or not to make an "exception."

CC fees, the number game towards the end of the month (meaning, if the manager is $2k away from making a monthly sales bonus at the end of the month they may negotiate to that point if it means you'll walk away without a discount), repeat patronage and referrals (I give a small thank you discount to my clients that refer other big spenders), or they work the system by charging you full price but waiving a service fee so it's like getting a small discount.

I know for a fact that my future in-laws have gotten a discount on jewelry, not timepieces, at Cartier but I do not know how much they have spent over their lifetime as clients to be given an exception.