How to wear a Kelly casually?

Feb 22, 2020
I find myself reaching for my K32 often...love being handsfree and, with the casual strap and the fact that it is already 'mature', it began to seem more casual than my Bs. BUT, and there is a big BUT, now that I've learned in various threads that I should not carry it open or even just hooked over the clasp but fully closed all the time, it definitely looks less casual and way more ladylike...maybe too ladylike for me?
View attachment 5619752
View attachment 5619753
You look incredible!
I love your style.
Would you mind sharing where you purchased the strap in the 2nd shot? Is it a Hermes one?
It looks wider?
I agree with @880 that the length of the dress is somehow throwing off the cross-body casual vibe I think if the dress was longer or a shirtdress style of that length (ie: like a knee length oversized mans shirt style)then the crossbody look would still look fab.
JMO
Either way...I love your style and you have great taste!

Feb 11, 2006
I find myself reaching for my K32 often...love being handsfree and, with the casual strap and the fact that it is already 'mature', it began to seem more casual than my Bs. BUT, and there is a big BUT, now that I've learned in various threads that I should not carry it open or even just hooked over the clasp but fully closed all the time, it definitely looks less casual and way more ladylike...maybe too ladylike for me?
View attachment 5619752
View attachment 5619753

My 2 cents...feel free to take or leave.........

Carry your kelly any damn way you want to carry it! your bag, your style...(and I'm telling you, you have KILLER style)
The second pic is perfection if you ask me............

tinkerbell68

Apr 28, 2021
You look incredible!
I love your style.
Would you mind sharing where you purchased the strap in the 2nd shot? Is it a Hermes one?
It looks wider?
I agree with @880 that the length of the dress is somehow throwing off the cross-body casual vibe I think if the dress was longer or a shirtdress style of that length (ie: like a knee length oversized mans shirt style)then the crossbody look would still look fab.
JMO
Either way...I love your style and you have great taste!
Thank you :blush:

The strap in the second shot (in ratty jeans) is from Salt The prices aren't nothing but much cheaper than H and tons of color and style options. I like the quality.
BTW, totally agree about the length of the dress and the cross-body styling...just doesn't work! We do what we can right? Sometimes it works and sometimes not so much :lol:

fabdiva

Jan 29, 2015
My 2 cents...feel free to take or leave.........

Carry your kelly any damn way you want to carry it! your bag, your style...(and I'm telling you, you have KILLER style)
The second pic is perfection if you ask me............
@tinkerbell68 I 100% agree. Your style is fire!!! Don't you dare change. I love it.

fabdiva

Jan 29, 2015
View attachment 5619752
View attachment 5619753
You are perfection!

Feb 22, 2020
Thank you :blush:

The strap in the second shot (in ratty jeans) is from Salt The prices aren't nothing but much cheaper than H and tons of color and style options. I like the quality.
BTW, totally agree about the length of the dress and the cross-body styling...just doesn't work! We do what we can right? Sometimes it works and sometimes not so much :lol:
From what I've seen of you in your posts you get it so right that I wanna wear scarves like you...
buy the same bags as you ...
And you have some fantastic shoes!
I agree with the poster who said its your bag wear it how it works for you.
I do get anxious about the stress on the Tourette when I see bags worn that way...BUT its a Hermes bag.
It can always be fixed at spa.
At a cost..yes, but enjoying your bag your way is priceless.

Last edited:

30th anniversary cuff
O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
Hey, I did not mean to imply there was anything wrong with the first pic. I was responding solely to your feeling inside that the Kelly seemed a bit more lady like than you would like. my observation was you might have gotten that impression from the first, but I didn’t see how you could have gotten it from the second, but that’s JMO :smile:

As a general rule for myself, I make the Kelly less lady with doc martens or some shoe that’s even heavier than a sneaker.

I do agree with @maxroxxherhandbags re a longer proportion to make it more street modern. Or a mini skirt or cut off shorts. In general I personally find the middle of the road length is harder to style.

I do think you rock both the dress and the jeans and wearing a Kelly is really a state of mind.

Hugs

Last edited:

tinkerbell68

Apr 28, 2021
From what I've seen of you in your posts you get it so right that I wanna wear scarves like you...
buy the same bags as you ...
And you have some fantastic shoes!
I agree with the poster who said its your bag wear it how it works for you.
I do get anxious about the stress on the Tourette when I see bags worn that way...BUT its a Hermes bag.
It can always be fixed at spa.
At a cost..yes, but enjoying your bag your way is priceless.
Thank you :blush:...as you know, of course, we only post the pics of the 'good' outfits...all the unfortunate outfits and pics thereof are banished!
I never knew about the stress on either the handle (if left totally open) or the tourette (if only hooked over it) so I'm definitely more careful now and try to generally close it properly while actually walking. And, perhaps because it is a Hermes bag, it's not actually that hard to close one-handed...or maybe it's because it's almost as old as my son and was broken in a bit by the previous owner.

tinkerbell68

Apr 28, 2021
Or a mini skirt or cut off shorts. In general I personally find the middle of the road length is harder to style.
Sadly, I've reached the age where mini skirts and shorts are no longer age appropriate...or perhaps I should say that my legs make wearing mini-skirts and shorts inappropriate. I do love it when I see that you've styled stuff with chunkier shoes/boots (like your great Birkenstock sneaks!) and try to go there too...definitely renders the Kelly less lady like!

Jan 15, 2011
View attachment 5619752
View attachment 5619753
IMO you look amazing in both pics (I do love that Kelly with jeans, I have its almost-twin in sellier 28 and that's one way I love to wear it).
The whole "OMG her Kelly is open" thing goes right into Unpopular Opinions for me :smile: and honestly, with the flap fastened, (and this is JMHO, but I do carry a Kelly almost every day) you'd have to load up your bag pretty heavily, and often, to bend the touret. It's an Hermes bag, and it's built very, very well.