How to wear a Kelly casually?

Laetitya

Balenciaga Bumblebee
Jul 2, 2007
London
Hello ladies,
My mother has given me her Kelly which she barely used for my 30th birthday. It is absolutely beautiful, a rich brick red with goldtone hardware. However, I usually dress rather casually and normally opt for less structured handbags such as Balenciaga. I am not trying to sound ungrateful as I know how beautiful this bag is however it does not really suit my lifestyle as it is. Do you have any ideas of how to wear it more casually or make it looks slightly younger? Perhaps by adding a longer strap?
I doubt I would ever be able to exchange it for a Birkin as I seem to remember those are more expensive than Kellys, right? Thank you!

Attachments

psaseattle

PNW Hermes-aholic
O.G.
Apr 4, 2008
Sun Valley, ID
I agree.....i have the longer canvas strap for my black box kelly and I wear it ALL the time casually. I think a kelly with canvas strap worn with the flap closed but buckle ends loose/hanging down is a very chic but casual look.

Laetitya

Balenciaga Bumblebee
Jul 2, 2007
London
Thank you for the suggestion of a canvas strap...do you know how much they retail for?

pug*shoes

O.G.
Feb 16, 2009
Seattle
I saw one on luxury shops a bit back and I think it was around $500 on the secondary market? Sorry, not sure what it would be new. ITA with the suggestions on wearing with the canvas strap does dress it down a bit.

Gorgeous Kelly, I do hope you enjoy her! :flowers:

tillie46

O.G.
Aug 28, 2009
LAETITYA.........I've seen a lot of young stars carrying Kelly's! By using the strap, it gives your bag a much more casual look. When it's on your arm.........it's a little more formal! Enjoy your Kelly......it's Beautiful!! What an incredible gift from your Mother.........:heart:

Laetitya

Balenciaga Bumblebee
Jul 2, 2007
London
Thank you so much all! Am probably going to try and find a canvas strap for it on Bond Street tomorrow :smile:

Katel

O.G.
Feb 17, 2007
over the rainbow
Thank you so much all! Am probably going to try and find a canvas strap for it on Bond Street tomorrow :smile:

you *can* rock that gorgeous Kelly, Laetitya! You can order the exact strap - color, leather ends and length - you need at Bond Street (be prepared to wait some months for it).

tnw

O.G.
Jan 29, 2007
California
Congratulations on such a gorgeous Kelly. I think using a strap definitely lends itself to a more casual look. Enjoy!