How to stay impeccably dressed all the time?

iShoppaholic

Dec 25, 2012
We often meet people who look stunning, not because of their looks but the way they dress up and carry themselves. The way they talk or do certain things.

There is something about them, like yesterday I met a woman in Safeway(a grocery store) who looked million dollars, I couldn't say, if it was her perfectly set hair, her neat dress or her stylish overcoat.

What do you think are three most important things to look impeccable.

Hmmmm..... :thinking:

(1) For me, it would be my hair. Up or down, it has to be straightened.

(2) In cooler weather, the outerwear. In warmer weather, the shoes.

(3) Pants or skirts that fit. This combined with posture makes for a good silhouette.

I think it's different for everyone, though. I feel OK without makeup sometimes because my skin is good and I wear glasses so my eyes are covered (sort of). :P

Can you please be more specific? What about that person was so put together? Outfit? Attitude?

I always follow the rule of 2 out of 3. 1) Hair, 2) Face/Make-up, 3) Outfit. If you can't achieve all three on any particular day, then at least 2 out of the 3 should be tight!! My hair is usually the one area that is hard for me to maintain & I usually wear a pony-tail. But I then make sure I'm dressed nice & my face looks great!

But I also think this has a lot to do with a persons aura or attitude as well. That can make a person look great & also make those around them feel great!!

Reactions: amary18
We often meet people who look stunning, not because of their looks but the way they dress up and carry themselves. The way they talk or do certain things.

There is something about them, like yesterday I met a woman in Safeway(a grocery store) who looked million dollars, I couldn't say, if it was her perfectly set hair, her neat dress or her stylish overcoat.

What do you think are three most important things to look impeccable.

Silly me! I just re-read your post & you were specific...lol.

There's something about some people - they always manage to look million dollars (like you said). To me it's all about spending time finding my own style. And to me (again) my personal style includes clothes suited for my body shape, matching shoes, jewelry/watch, makeup and hair. I've spent lots of time on youtube doing research lately, and also lots of time on Shopbop, both shopping and looking. I think it takes time and money to achieve this look even if you don't end up buying designer clothes.

There's something about some people - they always manage to look million dollars (like you said). To me it's all about spending time finding my own style. And to me (again) my personal style includes clothes suited for my body shape, matching shoes, jewelry/watch, makeup and hair. I've spent lots of time on youtube doing research lately, and also lots of time on Shopbop, both shopping and looking. I think it takes time and money to achieve this look even if you don't end up buying designer clothes.

Definitely takes time to learn what you like and what looks good on you. Then it takes time to curate a good wardrobe. Then one day it clicks and you can throw an outfit together really quickly.

It's the combination of skills and wardrobe pieces. They fit together like a puzzle. Once in a while you try on a piece that just doesn't "go", but you can decide quickly and remove it or make a substitution. Like a professional stylist does.

It helps to know what you own in your head, and to practice putting hypothetical outfits together on a daily basis when inspired by a fashion blog or OOTD pic. I note outfit combinations on my ipad, and collect stock pics of items I own in the ipad photo album. This way a lot of my pieces are automatically in my head.

I think its more about knowing your own style and making an effort. Last year, I was walking into Walmart for something or another. I was wearing my usual clothing but I was having a 'good day'. I was in a good mood and had on a cute outfit but nothing over the top-just a maxi skirt and t shirt. As I was walking in, another woman stopped me and said "do you really shop here-you look so put together-and I can't believe you shop at Walmart"! We both kind of chuckled but I told her yes, I love Walmart for certain things!

I see woman all the time who could look so much better with a small amount of effort-a little lip gloss, clothes that fit.....if you feel better, you carry yourself better. A little exercise goes a long way to making you feel better about yourself too.

Reactions: Rephined
I think its more about knowing your own style and making an effort. Last year, I was walking into Walmart for something or another. I was wearing my usual clothing but I was having a 'good day'. I was in a good mood and had on a cute outfit but nothing over the top-just a maxi skirt and t shirt. As I was walking in, another woman stopped me and said "do you really shop here-you look so put together-and I can't believe you shop at Walmart"! We both kind of chuckled but I told her yes, I love Walmart for certain things!

I see woman all the time who could look so much better with a small amount of effort-a little lip gloss, clothes that fit.....if you feel better, you carry yourself better. A little exercise goes a long way to making you feel better about yourself too.

You're so right about the exercise and effort! But I also think you need to spend some time figuring out what looks good on you. Like I said, it doesn't really matter if you buy designer clothes or not.

Definitely takes time to learn what you like and what looks good on you. Then it takes time to curate a good wardrobe. Then one day it clicks and you can throw an outfit together really quickly.

It's the combination of skills and wardrobe pieces. They fit together like a puzzle. Once in a while you try on a piece that just doesn't "go", but you can decide quickly and remove it or make a substitution. Like a professional stylist does.

It helps to know what you own in your head, and to practice putting hypothetical outfits together on a daily basis when inspired by a fashion blog or OOTD pic. I note outfit combinations on my ipad, and collect stock pics of items I own in the ipad photo album. This way a lot of my pieces are automatically in my head.

Have you been taking pictures of all your clothes? I tried that once, but they turned out a bit too dark or at least the pictures didn't show the details etc. This demotivated me from continuing to take pictures, Even though I have a really good camera. Any advice on that?

For me, the most important thing is speech, accent and manners. Without that it's just a hairdo or a manicure. But, to be impeccable in dress all of the time one has to care a lot about it and make it a great priority. One must take the time to maintain self and wardrobe everyday- hair "done," makeup at all times, manicure, brows, polished, accessorized outfits that are neat and pressed.
I LOVE fashion, but this is not a goal of mine- I prefer a more modern, casual, natural look.

What a great thread! I think another question that can help determine how well made up a person is the amount of time they take to get ready everyday. For me, this is 1 hour everyday from the time I wake up to stepping out the door (I think this is pretty average time?).

These 4 points are important for me:

1. Makeup: I've been using makeup since 13. I feel inappropriate when I do not have makeup on. I consider this as part of my professionalism. I actually don't care about my hair that much. I blow dry every 1-2 days. Air dry or do nothing on other days, but I'm Asian so my hair's already straight. I don't do my nails for work as this is not hygienic, but for vacations and some weekends, I'll give myself a manicure.

2. Clothing: I think most people would say that I'm well dressed everyday, even though I think of them as pretty average for my standards. I usually prepare my work clothes the night before. Of course on some days, I do dress more relaxed for both work and weekends.

3. Proper shoes: I have a thing against flimsy flats and flip flops. I don't think they're proper shoes. They're wayyyy too casual for going out, unless you're a teenager. I will wear them if I'm at home or at the beach or pool. Like Louboutin once said, "it's the shoes that carry the woman."

4. Mannerism: Be kind to others, help people in need, and always be polite. People will appreciate and value you for what you can do for others, especially if you take your time with them, and of course if you're pretty, well dressed, and professional that's all the better! I frown when I see people swear, talk very loud, or behave in a disruptive and inconsiderate manner. Joking is fine and I think it's quite charming for a woman to have a sense of humor, but yikes... I've seen some people go to the extreme laughing where I'm afraid they'd have a seizure.

Last edited: