how to say "pastilles?"

^^ OMG everyone, this is very simple ("Et oui, je parle çaisFran chérie" :P)

Louis - Lou-we <--that's an easy one

Vuitton - Vwee-tô(n) <-- nasal "n"

Pastilles - Pass-Tee <-- depending on the stressing of the double "L"'s, as in a song or extra overemphasis statements , it could also come out as "Pass-Tee-Y&#711;e ('yuh' sound on the end))

This is French French, not Quebecois French (the latter which sounds almost abit Middle Ages in the pronunciation)

Pastilles - Pass-Tee <-- depending on the stressing of the double "L"'s, as in a song or extra overemphasis statements , it could also come out as "Pass-Tee-Ye ('yuh' sound on the end))
yippee!! does that mean i was right?.

Weeton is the good prononciation but the N is not slight but silence
french language is not "nasale" , in english you prononced all letter especially at the beguin of the word
in french , the prononciation is changing when some letter are together , or somethimes the prononciation of the last letter is silence
Double L is silence when a "i" is before , the double L is only for stressed the "i"
So for PASTILLE , you say PAST and iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieuuuuuuuu or
Pastie (slowly on the "e" at the end)

I think it's very charming when people are asking with foreign voice or accent
and don't forgett, that the seller will lovely repeat the word with the good prononciation ( they are trained for that )
And you know , when you go to a LV shop , you not only go for buying a luxury bag, but to learn and feel a small part of traditional french art of life
I think it's absolutly not a shame, to ask question about the name of some collection, i think it's a must, because learning and open his mind of different culture is aulways very CHIC ......like you go to a museum

Sandrine

PS : sorry for my bad english ......difficult for me to find the right words

I think it's very charming when people are asking with foreign voice or accent
and don't forgett, that the seller will lovely repeat the word with the good prononciation ( they are trained for that )
And you know , when you go to a LV shop , you not only go for buying a luxury bag, but to learn and feel a small part of traditional french art of life
I think it's absolutly not a shame, to ask question about the name of some collection, i think it's a must, because learning and open his mind of different culture is aulways very CHIC ......like you go to a museum

Sandrine

PS : sorry for my bad english ......difficult for me to find the right words

Agreed entirely. I always ask the pronounciation.:yes:

i just didn't put the stress on the second syllable because i figured it given. i didn't mean that the second syllable isn't stressed, i just meant that the nasal "n" sounds like a very soft "ng" sound.
:yes: I knew exactly what you meant and where the stress should go... thanks again!

I also appreciate everyone's take on the pronounciation...I enjoy learning and knowing that I'm pronouncing something correctly. This is just one of the reasons I enjoy this forum. I love the collective multi-cultural brains at work!

:yes: I knew exactly what you meant and where the stress should go... thanks again!

I also appreciate everyone's take on the pronounciation...I enjoy learning and knowing that I'm pronouncing something correctly. This is just one of the reasons I enjoy this forum. I love the collective multi-cultural brains at work!
you're welcome, again! :smile: i just tried to clarify what i had told you, because someone else didn't understand what i was saying.

Pastilles - Pass-Tee <-- depending on the stressing of the double "L"'s, as in a song or extra overemphasis statements , it could also come out as "Pass-Tee-Y&#711;e ('yuh' sound on the end))

This is French French, not Quebecois French (the latter which sounds almost abit Middle Ages in the pronunciation)

I speak French and I called the 866 number today and asked for the "pass-Tee" and he had no clue what I was talking about...so I mispronounced it and said, "pass-tills" and he understood! :Push:

you're welcome, again! :smile: i just tried to clarify what i had told you, because someone else didn't understand what i was saying.

I did understand. I brought up stressing as an extra to emphasize my point. I just didn't agree with you when you said that the nasal N (IPA &#331;) is VERY SILENT, because the &#331; is articulated VERY strongly. In fact, I have taken linguistics in unversity for a year and all linguists know that the nasal N is classified as a SONORANT which includes others such as liquids, glides, and vowels because they are easy to maintain voicing of the glottis. Thus naturally without even considering further, the &#331; has strong voicing (ie vibration of the vocal cords).
Also in technical terms, the O in Vuitton is also nasalized written with the diacritic "~" on top of the the symbol "o" (so before another PFer used the falling tone in IPA or accent circonflexe in French "ô" which is incorrect).

I have good example, in English, when you pronounce "song", both the O and N are SIMILAR to that in Vuitton. So ya....if you consider the &#331; here to be "very silent" then I have nothing more to say.

I did understand. I brought up stressing as an extra to emphasize my point. I just didn't agree with you when you said that the nasal N is VERY SILENT, because the N is articulated VERY strongly. In fact, I have taken linguistics in unversity for a year and all linguists know that the nasal N is classified as a SONORANT which includes others such as liquids, glides, and vowels because they are easy to maintain voicing of the glottis. Thus naturally without even considering further, the N has strong voicing (ie vibration of the vocal cords).
Also in technical terms, the O in Vuitton is also nasalized written with the diacritic "~" on top of the the symbol "o" (so before another PFer used the falling tone or accent circonflexe in French "ô" which is incorrect).

I have good example, in English, when you pronounce "song", both the O and N are similar to that in Vuitton. So ya....if you consider the N here to be "very silent" then I have nothing more to say.

i honestly believe there is a misunderstanding here beyond the pronounciation. My last comment was just to let Soph know that I understood that through her instructions she still meant for the syllabic emphasis to be on the second. She was just trying to get across to me the 'n'...so I was just thanking her again and letting her know i understood that.
Then, she kind of misunderstood why I wrote that and was simply telling me it was someone else (you).
I'm pretty sure you're both saying the same thing...if you read back through, I think it will make more sense. When she said 'someone else wasn't getting it', she meant you, but not in the way you're taking it, I don't believe.
I appreciate all the help and still think it would be wonderful to have a pronounciation ref. guide (if everyone could agree...;) ) in a list-type manner:
1.Louis: Loo ee
etc.
ANyway, I just wanted to pipe in and clarify...I think you're both actually saying the same thing.
michele

I did understand. I brought up stressing as an extra to emphasize my point. I just didn't agree with you when you said that the nasal N (IPA &#331;) is VERY SILENT, because the &#331; is articulated VERY strongly. In fact, I have taken linguistics in unversity for a year and all linguists know that the nasal N is classified as a SONORANT which includes others such as liquids, glides, and vowels because they are easy to maintain voicing of the glottis. Thus naturally without even considering further, the &#331; has strong voicing (ie vibration of the vocal cords).
Also in technical terms, the O in Vuitton is also nasalized written with the diacritic "~" on top of the the symbol "o" (so before another PFer used the falling tone in IPA or accent circonflexe in French "ô" which is incorrect).

I have good example, in English, when you pronounce "song", both the O and N are SIMILAR to that in Vuitton. So ya....if you consider the &#331; here to be "very silent" then I have nothing more to say.

i guess i misunderstood what you were correcting, for which i apologize. to go back to what you were saying about the nasal n, i, by no means, meant that the nasal n is very silent. i just meant that when pronounced, it sounds like, to take your example, when you say "song" it sounds like the -ng part of the word, but a very soft -ng type sound, if you get what i'm saying. i couldn't find a better description for the sound of the nasal n. i hope i have not offended or insulted your intelligence, i was just trying to give a comparative or similar sound for reference, to kind of help mshel out. :smile: