How to give peer feedback

Aug 26, 2006
Hey all,
I'm kind of a in sticky situation and I need some opinions.

I was recently made lead of three other analysts in our team.We have another supervisor and then a department manager. My duties amongst other things are to coordinate the workload, manage our project plan, and mentor the other analysts. We have one person on the team who cannot the job. This has been evident six months into his job; that was a year and a half ago. When I say he can't do his job, I mean he doesn't know how to be an analyst-you know, the most critical part of the job. This is in all of our job descriptions. Unfortunately, our supervisor has always come to his defense and never managed him correctly and she's always asked me to fix his mistakes. His incompetency is obvious to everyone, including our supervisor and dept manager. And our manager has called our supervisor on the fact that she is not managing this person and she needs to put him on a plan. Our supervisor KNOWS how frustrating this situation is for me. I try to be as patient with him but I'm basically now babysitting.

Well, now he's up for a perf review and she actually asked the rest of the team for feedback. I don't know why she's bothering to ask me but I don't feel comfortable putting anything down in writing for fear that she's just going to copy and paste it into his review. I don't know what I should do or tell her coz again, she already knows how I feel. I mean good grief, she and I meet about him practically on a regular basis! I feel like I'm being set up so she won't have to take responsibilities or blame if he gets canned.

Any thoughts on this?

TIA!

I had the same situation just recently and I got him fired. But in your case, try to stay "above the line" by not criticizing him. Instead, offer suggestions for areas of improvement and how he could go about doing it. That way, if you supervisor copies and pastes your feedback in his review, it will be okay.

They cannot get mad at you for offering suggestions and ways he can improve and be a contributor to the team.

In my situation, I had to skip over my supervisor and go straight to the top to get the issue dealt with. My supervisor had hired the dumbass and he had too much pride too fire him, despite costing the company close to $1M in unproductivity.

Hope this helps. :smile: