How to get urine smell out of dog bed?

lorihmatthews

A taste for the arts
O.G.
Oct 7, 2006
My little pup Zoe has peed on her dog bed in her crate a few times now. I always wash it but the urine smell hasn't gone away completely. I've washed it with and without the cover on. It's a synthetic chenille-like material.

Do I just toss it and buy a new one? I've washed it with Tide, which I've always thought to be a pretty strong detergent but there seems to be a lingering smell.

Yeah I've run dog blankets in the washing machine with laundry detergent and Nature's Miracle mixed together and that seemed to do the trick.

White vinegar helps. You could put some in w/ the wash. When the pets have had accidents, I put really hot water in the steam cleaner w/ white vinegar and go over the area really well. When it is done and dry, there is no urine or other smell (although there is a vinegar smell for a bit). Sounds weird, but here is a link confirming:

http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Dog_Urine_Cleaners

(scroll down to natural cleaners. My mother is a vinegar fanatic for all sorts of household things!).

My vet recommended two amazing cleaners -- Anti Icky Poo and Urine Off. Urine Off comes in Dog or Cat and the Cat has worked wonders. It got pee smell out of my wood floors! Highly recommended.