How to get that Fashionphile scent out of my bag

BagLadyT

One on the way and one in the queue!
Apr 2, 2016
So I'm a big fan of Fashionphile. I've bought many preloved bags from the site. I've noticed on several occasions there is a scent of baby wipes that lingers in the bags. When I bought my Neverfull MM the scent evenutally went away. I think this has to do with the fact that the bag is open and allows it to air out. I recently bought a Speedy 25 and the baby wipe smell is STRONG. I've been stuffing the bag with articles of clothing. Do you have any recommendation on how to get the smell out??

Wow, I have noticed a scent in my FP bags (only bought a few bags from that site) and never realized it might come from baby wipes since I don't know what they smell like. The scent goes away eventually, probably because the bag sits open when I'm at home. I don't have any tricks to help you out though, sorry.

Heh. Is it for sure baby wipes? I bought a purse from the Real Real and it had an overly sweet scent. It was the same scent as the bags in my local consignment shop but much stronger. I wondered if it was something like febreze, or something industrial even, it was so strong. Is it to cover smoke smells? That particular scent is so consistent, it must be a very specific product re-sellers are using.

FWIW, I wiped the bag down with a mixture of vinegar and water and it diminished the smell but didn't remove it entirely. It became livable though.

Reactions: BagLadyT
Heh. Is it for sure baby wipes? I bought a purse from the Real Real and it had an overly sweet scent. It was the same scent as the bags in my local consignment shop but much stronger. I wondered if it was something like febreze, or something industrial even, it was so strong. Is it to cover smoke smells? That particular scent is so consistent, it must be a very specific product re-sellers are using.

FWIW, I wiped the bag down with a mixture of vinegar and water and it diminished the smell but didn't remove it entirely. It became livable though.

Yeah, not sure if it is baby wipes but that's what it reminds me of. I don't smell any cigarette smell at all. FP is pretty good on it's description to mention if there is a cig smell or musty smell. The scent is on the inside fabric area of the Speedy so I don't think I can wipe it down with the vinegar mixture...what bag did you do this on?

Wow, I have noticed a scent in my FP bags (only bought a few bags from that site) and never realized it might come from baby wipes since I don't know what they smell like. The scent goes away eventually, probably because the bag sits open when I'm at home. I don't have any tricks to help you out though, sorry.

Thank you anyways!

Yeah, not sure if it is baby wipes but that's what it reminds me of. I don't smell any cigarette smell at all. FP is pretty good on it's description to mention if there is a cig smell or musty smell. The scent is on the inside fabric area of the Speedy so I don't think I can wipe it down with the vinegar mixture...what bag did you do this on?

It was a Miu Miu made with deer leather - so a pretty hardy material. The scent on my bag was all on the outside.

I've read about crumpling up newspaper and putting that inside. The newspaper is really porous so it absorbs smells. It could take a week, however.

Reactions: BagLadyT
It was a Miu Miu made with deer leather - so a pretty hardy material. The scent on my bag was all on the outside.

I've read about crumpling up newspaper and putting that inside. The newspaper is really porous so it absorbs smells. It could take a week, however.

Ok, I'm trying that for sure!

Reactions: bakeacookie
pretty sure FP doesn't do anything to clean/re-scent bags at all, b/c when it has an odor they disclose the odor and sell it that way, odor and all. the difference is that yours were/are both LV items and the LVers love to wipe down their canvas with baby wipes, so that's probably what it is. although they should be using fragrance-free. anyhoo... i've had the strongest odors eliminated just by leaving the bag open outside to air. nothing better than fresh air for a few nights to clear things up. i had to leave a bag outside for two straight weeks for a cigarette odor to leave and it eventually did. i wouldn't try more products, just fresh air, and it's free

Reactions: Annabel Lee
pretty sure FP doesn't do anything to clean/re-scent bags at all, b/c when it has an odor they disclose the odor and sell it that way, odor and all. the difference is that yours were/are both LV items and the LVers love to wipe down their canvas with baby wipes, so that's probably what it is. although they should be using fragrance-free. anyhoo... i've had the strongest odors eliminated just by leaving the bag open outside to air. nothing better than fresh air for a few nights to clear things up. i had to leave a bag outside for two straight weeks for a cigarette odor to leave and it eventually did. i wouldn't try more products, just fresh air, and it's free

I've actually also had a Chanel XL Vintage Jumbo flap from FP that had the same exact smell. I wish leaving it out in the open would eliminate the smell but the scent is so strong it will not. I'm going to try the Moso bag.

I purchased a Chanel gst that arrived with this awful smell of cigarettes and fried food. I started to look around on tpf and found a thread on how to remove different types of odors from leather and other materials. It was very informative. My Chanel arrived smelling of cigarettes and fried food. I could have returned it, but I tried the recommendations and it was amazing. My handbag had that wonderful smell of leather. I sold the bag a year later and the buyer was thrilled with her purchase and nothing mentioned about any smells. It might be worth a look.

Reactions: JLT1 and BagLadyT
I purchased a Chanel gst that arrived with this awful smell of cigarettes and fried food. I started to look around on tpf and found a thread on how to remove different types of odors from leather and other materials. It was very informative. My Chanel arrived smelling of cigarettes and fried food. I could have returned it, but I tried the recommendations and it was amazing. My handbag had that wonderful smell of leather. I sold the bag a year later and the buyer was thrilled with her purchase and nothing mentioned about any smells. It might be worth a look.

How did you remove the smell?

I purchased activated charcoal from the pet store that is used in aquariums. I put 4 packets in the handbag and then put the bag in a large shopping bag and then covered it with another shopping bag to totally keep the bag enclosed for at least three days. I opened it up and there was much improvement. I rearranged the packets then covered it again. A few days later I put 4 more packets in and covered it for a few more days. It worked and I couldn't believe it. Sorry for the long winded explanation, but it was what worked for the odors my bag had. Good luck!!!

I purchased activated charcoal from the pet store that is used in aquariums. I put 4 packets in the handbag and then put the bag in a large shopping bag and then covered it with another shopping bag to totally keep the bag enclosed for at least three days. I opened it up and there was much improvement. I rearranged the packets then covered it again. A few days later I put 4 more packets in and covered it for a few more days. It worked and I couldn't believe it. Sorry for the long winded explanation, but it was what worked for the odors my bag had. Good luck!!!

Ok thank you! It seems that the charcoal works for a lot of people. I'm going to try this.