How to get a smell out of a bag

I first clean the LV canvas with light soapy water n fabric foam for the interior. Then I used 2 baking powder packs inside and outside the bag and then put the bag on a black trash bag, tied it up for almost 2 week. The cigarettes smell is gone. I then clean the interior with fabric foam and let it air dry again. Smell fresh :smile: Patience is the virtue. Hope this help.

Hello,

I’ve read this is the most effective!

I just got a bag with perfume and dog smell [emoji37].

May I ask, did you put the baking powder loose over everything inside the garbage bag?

Thanks for any tips!!

I bought a bag that smelled like tobacco. First, I placed baggies of baking soda inside & out and sealed the bag in plastic for a week. The odor was stronger after that. I followed with a week of coffee grounds the same way, and then it smelled like coffee and light smoke. I saturated the lining with Folex 2x and that didn't do anything. I drenched the lining in 1/2 water 1/2 vinegar and let it dry, hanging down away from the leather, in WIND and sun twice, with several days of sunlight in between each drenching. I took it in for the night. I was able to pull the lining completely out which makes this process much easier, and wrapped & taped off the leather to protect it. The lining smelled lightly of vinegar, and now I can't detect smoke in the lining at all, but I'll see if it's really gone when all of the vinegar scent is gone. Now it's sealed in a tub with a large mesh bag of Zeolite rocks that absorb odors inside the bag and one outside the bag. The leather still had a very faint scent which I'm hoping is being absorbed. It might be gone because now a sniff inside the tub has no odor! But we'll see when I take out the zeolite. When it's all done, I'll condition the leather. The odor needs to be pulled out of the bag and not just be masked. @whateve recommended the sunlight and fresh air as the best remedy, and that really was it for my bag! Sunlight & wind and vinegar evaporating pulling out the odor. If I detect any faint odor in the end, I will store it with the zeolite when it's not being used, but this seems to be working!

Last edited:
I just bought a LV Belmont and it has faint smell of perfume. Considering the inside is line suede could I use the recommendation in this thread to treat it? Or which recommends is best suited? TIA
I am too curious. I just bought a Metis Hobo and while it's beautiful, has a faint smell of perfume. Can I just spray the Meguiar's Odor Eliminator on the inside suede? Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Try putting a whole bunch of newspaper in the bag zip or seal the bag and leave them there for a few days. OR Airing to a sunny area will also work well (e.g hanging them by the window in your room).

I had recently gotten a bag with a strange smell I couldn't put my finger on. I aired it out outside for a few days and put some mint from the garden in it. Now I can't smell anything, just a faint mint smell that is fading.
I have gotten rid of cigarette odors just by airing them out as well, but this works best in cooler weather. Also I wash the lining if possible.

I tried everything and finally found the bottles with soap and wax making fragrances. So pick a smell you like.. I choose rose and in a corner add a few drops of the scent....I love it now but couldn't stand before. None of my own purses smell.. this was a used LV and bad... all good now.

Reactions: handbaggirlde
I wish I had stumbled upon this thread before making a pretty pricy purchase on Vestaire Collective where the bag I received was indeed in mint condition but reeked of mothball smell. One definitely remember to ask about cigarette smell but moth ball? It never once occurred to me. I mean, who put mothball in handbags?

Anyway, since my only option is to relist the bag for sale or try to get rid of the smell, I thought I should try the latter first. I read many different methods on here but I was wondering what method was the most effective for anyone who has successfully managed to get rid of the moth ball smell. Anyone?

I recently bought a bag off eBay and it smells so strongly of incense. I've tried: baking soda, coffee grounds, dryer sheets. I also tried wiping gently with a vinegar/water solution, but it was sparse as I wasn't sure if that was going to change the texture of the leather - maybe I should try this again? Right now it's been airing outside on my patio and it's been there for about a week. Unfortunately, the odor is still present inside and out, albeit less strong. Any other recommendations? Is it safe to spray the Meguiar's onto leather?

I wish I had stumbled upon this thread before making a pretty pricy purchase on Vestaire Collective where the bag I received was indeed in mint condition but reeked of mothball smell. One definitely remember to ask about cigarette smell but moth ball? It never once occurred to me. I mean, who put mothball in handbags?

Anyway, since my only option is to relist the bag for sale or try to get rid of the smell, I thought I should try the latter first. I read many different methods on here but I was wondering what method was the most effective for anyone who has successfully managed to get rid of the moth ball smell. Anyone?
Nothing gets out mothball smell, I work at an antique shop and my boss will pass on stuff that has a smell because it’s just too hard to get out and mothball or musty smell will not come out of wood and I haven’t known anybody to get it out of clothing, luggage or bags

Hello, I just signed up after reading this entire thread. It has been so informative.

I just received a screen printed leather shoulder bag that has a strong chemical odor. I purchased it direct from the maker so I know it is authentic. It arrived wrapped in tissue then protective cardboard and sealed in clear plastic. I expected a pleasant leather smell like my previous bag in the same leather print (small backpack), but this bag stinks! I left it unzipped overnight and felt the paper stuffing had a strong odor so removed that this morning. My bag has a box of baking soda zipped inside and a second box sitting beside the bag with a white cotton sheet wrapped loosely around the bag. Does anyone have tips for getting a chemical/production odor out of the bag. I wonder if it is from the screen printing of the design, but my other bag does not have this strong odor. Both were ordered from the company and shipped from the U.K. Hope that with some patience the baking soda will help, but also good to know about the charcoal and coffee beans. Thanks.

Hello, I just signed up after reading this entire thread. It has been so informative.

I just received a screen printed leather shoulder bag that has a strong chemical odor. I purchased it direct from the maker so I know it is authentic. It arrived wrapped in tissue then protective cardboard and sealed in clear plastic. I expected a pleasant leather smell like my previous bag in the same leather print (small backpack), but this bag stinks! I left it unzipped overnight and felt the paper stuffing had a strong odor so removed that this morning. My bag has a box of baking soda zipped inside and a second box sitting beside the bag with a white cotton sheet wrapped loosely around the bag. Does anyone have tips for getting a chemical/production odor out of the bag. I wonder if it is from the screen printing of the design, but my other bag does not have this strong odor. Both were ordered from the company and shipped from the U.K. Hope that with some patience the baking soda will help, but also good to know about the charcoal and coffee beans. Thanks.
The only thing that worked for me with Chemical smell was using it and making sure gets plenty of air and use because it helps dissipate the smell

Hey y'all, I bought a pre loved Gucci Marmont bag with the microfiber lining. When the bag came it was in pristine condition....except the interior smelled extremely metallic, like I couldn't stand it.
It's been 4 months now, and I have put baking soda 4x and let it sit for 1 week at a time, I used charcoal bag deodorizers, I had it sitting open by a window in sunlight, and I used coffee and let it sit for a week and then baking soda after.
This strategy has helped 80%, but there's still a faint smell....anyone have a trick that will work to get the remaining smell out?