how to differentiate between authentic and fake CLs?

calisnoopy

Instagram @calisnoopy ❤️USC Football
O.G.
Apr 30, 2006
Hmm...just curious, is there a thread that can help some of us differentiate between authentic and fake CLs...some of the fakes on eBay seem to be sooo similar I cant seem to tell the difference?

Does anyone want to share what main things to look out for?

Thanks!!!!! :tup::heart:

ITA w/ Lav~

Plus, like many other "Authenticate This..." threads have mentioned, publicly posting crucial authenticating points might lead to 'super fakes' and enhancing fake product/manufacturing. Maybe if we would like specifics on why something looks off, we can PM the authenticator for more details.
:idea:

First of all, trust your instincts. Does something feel "off?" We all know what a real CL looks like. Is there something just not right about what you're looking at. If so, red flags should go up. Secondly, is it too good to be true?

Here's a thread on some fakes that are on ebay:

http://forum.purseblog.com/christian-louboutin-shoes/fake-christian-louboutins-281043.html

For me, the biggest clues are the seller. Check out their feedback. Are they new? Are they listing multiples of the same shoe? Think about how popular the shoe was, and how much it retailed for. I highly doubt that a new seller would be able to sell multiple pairs of City Girls at way below retail, when it's a current style. Those types of things are usually red flags, and then if the seller looks good, get them authenticated on the authenticity thread.

Some of these fakes look really obvious and some I can't tell for sure.

I can tell almost all of them except for the Bruges..the real and fake ones posted in the Authenticate this thread look the same to me...

Now I'm thinking, great, I got my Bruges off of ebay. They are probably fake and I haven't even known it all this time. I wish I had come across this forum a long time ago.

There are so many different little clues to fakes. As xnplo mentioned, it's probably best not to say all of them publicly. Definitely trust your instincts though. And as stated by Laureen and Lavender, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Also, there's a real lack of knowledge about the product from the sellers of fakes. They hardly know what they have themselves. They can hardly answer any questions. They are in it for the money, not the love of fashion. Whenever any of us sell these items, we know the whole history of them and sell them with love.

^^^ not to worry. It's not rampant. The problem is they don't get their goods directly from the labels, so every once in a while something may slip though. If you have no warning signs, don't fret.

Well, I did fret about a bit, but like I said in the other thread, I have never ever seen a fake CL over a size 40. And I spent like two hours on Ioffer the other day hunting down fakes, trying to see the differences.

^ I too find that you can learn a lot from looking around at ioffer. It'll show you what styles you need to be vary of, but usually the sellers don't post closeups of details or they use stock photos so you don't really know what it is they're selling.

Yeah I couldnt find any distinguishing characteristics, but I now know what styles NOT to buy on ebay. Some of them were obvious, some werent. I would just hate to have some poor unknowing person buy a fake.