How to Clean Handles....HELP!!

Dec 30, 2008
Hello, I recently got some black smudges on my Tivoli pm handles. I wasn't sure what it was so I attempted to wipe it off, but it wouldn't come off. So I did this bonehead move...i licked my finger and tried to wipe it off. But nothing! Now the spots that I wiped are discolored. Is there anything I can do to fix this? It's really not that bad but I can definitely see the color difference. Any advice will be appreciated.

my suggestion, just don't do anything and leave it alone. my mom had a huge black spot on the vachetta part of her tivoli pm too, and she tried baby wipes (non alcoholic) on it, but it got worse/darker. it eventually blended in though when the patina happened.

my suggestion, just don't do anything and leave it alone. my mom had a huge black spot on the vachetta part of her tivoli pm too, and she tried baby wipes (non alcoholic) on it, but it got worse/darker. it eventually blended in though when the patina happened.

Precisely. Those first 'boo boos' KILL.....seriously. I got a spot on my brand new vachetta strap on my denim gm bag....oh my friggin' [email protected] thought I was going to die......then I just started wearing it - I had to.....now I don't think about it as much and I know (from past experiences) that during the patina process it's all gonna be good.....try not to think about it too much.
I do agree, however, that the baby wipes are super for cleaning up random surface dirt...

First try baby wipes, however, I have learned when you go to wipe a handle its best to wipe down the entire handle. if the baby wipe does not work then some (including myself) have used an original (no chemicals) mr clean magic eraser. If you use the eraser you need to use it very lightly. I got denim transfer on my bosphore pm and the baby wipes took 90% of it off and the remaining came off with the mr clean magic eraser. I then let it dry completely and applied Apple conditioner on it and it came out perfect, one would never know what happened earlier. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to try and leave it alone and see what happens. It's not that bad but like I said, I know it's there so it's annoying. Isn't it crazy how these things drive us mad? I hate being so paranoid about my purses.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to try and leave it alone and see what happens. It's not that bad but like I said, I know it's there so it's annoying. Isn't it crazy how these things drive us mad? I hate being so paranoid about my purses.

bagwhore808 - Just use the bag as you normally would & it'll work itself out either by fading or blending in with the patina. If it still drives you up the wall, I'd suggest rubbing it lightly with an artist's eraser (in one direction so as not to be too abrasive). I've done that with my Azur & it took away the smudge...not completely so that it looks absolutely pristine but enough so that it is barely noticeable. You'd have to stare at it pretty long & hard to tell. I've also used it to take away a few water spots on my Dior.

But don't rub too hard/much because it will dry out the leather & you will be left with a pale smudge...which might end up upsetting an even patina.

HTH. Good luck!

Last edited: