How to Carry a Kelly... or Not

I could definitely see myself wearing the Kelly open but honestly it would have nothing to do with the logo. It would have more to do with me being too lazy to completely close it up.
'wear as a hat' almost made me spit out my wine....in that case I'd be so upset with you QF because it is good wine!! :hugs:
I would hate to waste your wine! Let's share it. After a while we might both have our Kellys on our heads ;)

Hi. So if I carry my kelly with just the flap locked and with sangles undone will it cause damage to the sangles? And when storing the kelly, should you do up the sangles too??
The sangles will be fine but the turnlock *may* suffer, although honestly I think you'd have to overload the bag for that to happen.

I store my Kellys on their backs, with the felt, but I don't always fasten the sangles. This was advice given to me by a craftsman, that if I do not use a bag for many months and I have fastened the straps over the felt, it may stretch them a bit. Seems logical. But I believe common wisdom is to do up the sangles.

The sangles will be fine but the turnlock *may* suffer, although honestly I think you'd have to overload the bag for that to happen.

I store my Kellys on their backs, with the felt, but I don't always fasten the sangles. This was advice given to me by a craftsman, that if I do not use a bag for many months and I have fastened the straps over the felt, it may stretch them a bit. Seems logical. But I believe common wisdom is to do up the sangles.
I saw a photo where the flap had discolored where the sangles were fastened over it. The flap had faded, while the part under the sangles had not. I now store my Kellys with the sangles fastened under the flap, not over it.

That could be possible. Regardless, I think I will continue to err on the side of caution. I hope fastening the sangles under the flap won’t cause any issues.
I'd worry that it would cause imprints on the interior flap that might show through, but, as I said earlier in the thread, folks are welcome to wear their Kellys as hats and hang them on the clothesline if they want to!

So carrying a kelly open, the flap on its turn lock with sangles relaxed or at least one sangle fastened, and the sangles strapped on its turn lock underneath a closed flap were all discussed on this thread. To be honest, I never carry a kelly fully done, mostly on its turnlock with sangles relaxed. I am guilty also for carrying it open for convenience in short amounts of time. In my defense, I don’t carry a lot when I use a kelly, that’s what birkins are for.

Anyway, I saw this photo on google when you search “hermes kelly street style.” Anyone carry their Kelly’s this way? Sangles fastened without closing the flap?Rarely do I see people carry it this way and I wonder if carrying it like this makes a difference carrying the bag open. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Attachments

• 5389637F-D981-4503-9A37-B25F66B87738.jpeg
    5389637F-D981-4503-9A37-B25F66B87738.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 240
So carrying a kelly open, the flap on its turn lock with sangles relaxed or at least one sangle fastened, and the sangles strapped on its turn lock underneath a closed flap were all discussed on this thread. To be honest, I never carry a kelly fully done, mostly on its turnlock with sangles relaxed. I am guilty also for carrying it open for convenience in short amounts of time. In my defense, I don’t carry a lot when I use a kelly, that’s what birkins are for.

Anyway, I saw this photo on google when you search “hermes kelly street style.” Anyone carry their Kelly’s this way? Sangles fastened without closing the flap?Rarely do I see people carry it this way and I wonder if carrying it like this makes a difference carrying the bag open. Would love to hear your thoughts!
Yes, every now and then with a retourne, especially my 35, I carry a Kelly this way. I don’t think it looks as good as it does with sangles loose, but it keeps it closed for safety. Sellier is stiff enough to stay fairly well closed without sangles strapped, especially on the smaller Kellys.

Yes, every now and then with a retourne, especially my 35, I carry a Kelly this way. I don’t think it looks as good as it does with sangles loose, but it keeps it closed for safety. Sellier is stiff enough to stay fairly well closed without sangles strapped, especially on the smaller Kellys.

so good to know! You think it is better for the kelly to be carried this way rather than sangles relaxed and flap on its turnlock? I’m kinda loving this look

so good to know! You think it is better for the kelly to be carried this way rather than sangles relaxed and flap on its turnlock? I’m kinda loving this look
I am not condoning my actions. I carry my Kellys open for short periods of time for easy access. I also carry very little in my bags. Carrying your bag with only the sangles fastened, or only the turnlock fastened can caused stress and wear to the handle and top of the flap over time.

Forgive me if this was discussed earlier and I somehow missed it…

I always thought I only liked sellier, but starting to realize I love the look of the retourne when it’s all “batwinged” out. Does anyone carry theirs like this regularly, or suspect any issues with it?