Travel How to avoid atm charges overseas

elizabethk

Workin' on my tan!
Jul 25, 2006
avoid atm charges overseas
source: travel and leisure, april 2008, page 176

When you use an atm abroad, your home bank charges a fee of up to 3 percent or a flat rate ($1.50-$5.00) for every transaction. However, Commerce Bank, which has branches in the eastern United States, doesn't add on any fees for customers who use alternative ATM's while traveling. Even better, customers are reimbursed for any fees levied by the international bank.

Thanks for the tip. Anything helps when travelling overseas, esp. since our usd is circling the drain right now....

I know this thread is old, but does anyone know if this still applies? Has anyone travelled overseas recently with Commerce & know?

I'm wondering if the switch from Commerce to TDBank will affect this as well. Thank you!! :smile:

Many banks have partner banks abroad. B of A owns many banks around the world and if you use your ATM in those banks you do not get charged fees.

Here are a few:

Westpac (Australia and New Zealand), Scotia Bank (Canada), China Construction Bank (China), Barclay’s (UK), BNP Paribas (France), Deutsche Bank (Germany), Santander Serfin (Mexico)

^ thanks Roo!!! I called TDBank to check, and they said that they still do not charge to use the ATM, but to check with whatever bank's ATM I am using.

I'll definitely be using ones from the ones you listed; I know there are alot of Barclay's in Madrid. Thank youuuu :smile:

^ thanks Roo!!! I called TDBank to check, and they said that they still do not charge to use the ATM, but to check with whatever bank's ATM I am using.

I'll definitely be using ones from the ones you listed; I know there are alot of Barclay's in Madrid. Thank youuuu :smile:

ash, just be sure you are using a B of A card in those banks and you won't pay fees :yes: