How should an 11 Year old bag smell?

bmariemoo

Apr 30, 2014
Hi all! I just received a Louis Vuitton Cherry Blossom Pochette from a seller on eBay. It's BEAUTIFUL, but I think it smells odd, maybe a mothball smell would be the best way to describe it? But My mother & sister say it smells like leather. I did just pay $470 for a small bag (a first for me, lol) maybe I'm just being picky? Any thoughts/suggestions about this odd smell?

Also, I did contact the seller about the smell. She has the whole CB collection and said that all of the ones that she owns smell like that. She also said maybe it was because she left them in the box for so long?

Thanks in advance everyone :smile:

Hi all! I just received a Louis Vuitton Cherry Blossom Pochette from a seller on eBay. It's BEAUTIFUL, but I think it smells odd, maybe a mothball smell would be the best way to describe it? But My mother & sister say it smells like leather. I did just pay $470 for a small bag (a first for me, lol) maybe I'm just being picky? Any thoughts/suggestions about this odd smell?

Also, I did contact the seller about the smell. She has the whole CB collection and said that all of the ones that she owns smell like that. She also said maybe it was because she left them in the box for so long?

Thanks in advance everyone :smile:

You can pull the lining out on these bags so do that and hang it outside in the fresh air for a few hours every day. The smell will soon go away. Bags can develop smells depending on storage which sounds like it was the issue with this particular seller. LV do not advocate storing their bags in their boxes.

Thank you. I really appreciate it! Once it stops raining here (if it ever does, lol) I'll let her sit outside for a few hours

Here's a picture of my beautiful (yet smelly) baby. Lol!
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1400095521.732789.jpg

Thank you. I really appreciate it! Once it stops raining here (if it ever does, lol) I'll let her sit outside for a few hours

Here's a picture of my beautiful (yet smelly) baby. Lol!
View attachment 2616362

You might want to put the dustbag through the wash as well as you tend to find if the bag smells then the dustbag will too and they will just "reinfect" one another (not sure that is the correct term but hope you understand what I mean!!)

Beautiful pochette. I hope you can get the smell to go away! I'm sure airing it out will make it go away with time. When I was new to LV I purchased my wallet from a Bonanza seller from Singapore I believe it was. I had no idea then that the Asian countries have issues with humidity and that some bags can have issues with smells. My wallet arrived and had a terrible musty odor. I tried all the tricks in the book and nothing really helped. It just took time for the smell to dissipate and I now adore my wallet!

Thank you all so much!! It's been marinating in the dustbag with dryer sheets & the smell has diminished a bit. But I think I'll take your advice and wash the dustbag! Hopefully we will have a clear day here soon, I really wanna air it out. Stupid rain!

I just purchased a pre-loved LV backpack and it had this musty smell to it. I left it open and put some cedar blocks and a box of baking soda in the bag for a week. Smell is still there but very faint, much better than when I first got it. I think the trick is to let these older bags get some fresh air, a lot of them have been boxed up or in storage for quite sometime.

Your new bag is beautiful!

Thank you! & Yes! I agree they do need fresh air! I can keep my room pretty dark (I won't have to worry about fading) So I think I'm just going to leave it out of the dustbag for a bit, let it air out! It looks like it was kept in there for over a decade, because it's in immaculate condition! I'm so in love with it! (Not the smell so much, lol) I think I'll buy some cedar chips later and see what that does :smile:

Try natural magic odor eliminator. I found it at Home depot, works like magic. I bought vanilla cookie. I've bought a few old bags and what do they smell like now.. cookies :smile:

They might have one that is small enough to fit in the pochette, the one I have is quite large and 10 oz. Good luck!