How old should you be?

tln

Have a nice day!
O.G.
Jan 14, 2006
I think that if you love a bag, you should wear it. That being said, I feel that anyone over the age of 18 wearing one of those white DB's with all of the grafitti looks a bit silly. I think that quite a bit of the appropriateness of certain designers has to do with the way a bag is carried, also. What do you think of these designers, in terms of age appropriateness?
Jimmy Choo
Chloe
Bulga
Chanel
Ferragamo
Celine
I really like the new bucket bag by Jimmy Choo, but I am 33 and feel that it might be a bit too 20's for me. Thoughts?

For my age, I really like Marc Jacobs, Ferragamo, Celine, and after a few months of saving-Chanel. I was looking at that Bulga bag that benefits that AIDS organization, and wondered if I had any business with a bag like that. Thoughts?

I agree that the D&B with the little hearts and stuff is juvenile. But the designer's you list are all very hip and expensive--not juvenile! I think you should just find something you like and buy it.

I'd like some honest thoughts here too. I'm 38 and feel perfectly fine with a leather Chanel bag (the prints are too young for me IMO), but I'm starting to really like Chloe and I'm not sure I'm the appropriate age.

I think there's a time (when you're a granny) when you can get away with anything and it's either "cute" or "eccentric", but there's also a time when you look like you're going through a mid-life crisis (maybe I am???).

tln - I'm not familiar with the other bags that you mention, so sorry I'm not answering your question directly.

But honestly...what do you think of 30, 40, and 50 year olds carrying "it" bags? Just curious...I'm still going to get a Chloe regardless of answers ;)

If it's ridiculously kiddy or teen-ish looking, I wouldn't go for it. But if you really like/love it and can pull it off, go for it. I don't think there's an age limit really.

A agree with English girl and kathyrose, there really isn't an age limit on most bags (especially the ones you list above). look at Madonna - she certainly manages to carry off most bags and I'm sure she will continue to do so until she is in her 70s!

I think you have to look at it bag by bag. Some (but really not most) bags are put together to look kind of highschool -- that's just their style. Pick and choose! Also, I agree with english girl. If you like it, carry it -- regardless of the style of the bag.

I tend to gravitate toward the more classic bags, yet at 48 (49 in March!) I have no qualms about carrying my Chloé Paddington satchel. I've seen women in their 40's-50's carrying Balenciaga bags. I think the graffiti/hearts/stars/giant studded bags are probably better on younger women.

if you can afford a dior and you're in your sixties you can do whatever you want. The older you get the more you could care less what others think. It finally becomes all about me after 20-30 years of it being about others. This is my year, I tell all my friends, it's the year of Loren and you too can make it your year but for me it's all about me.(that doesn't mean I totally ignore them but after driving countless hours to millions of soccer games I deserve to spend money on whatever bag I want and I'm going on a girl trip with 20 gals age 30-60 to Costa Rica in May for 2 weeks and I didn't even ask my family, I told them.)

I own at least one item from all those brands you listed.

I love my Jimmy Choos, Ferragamo ballet flats, etc.

I'm 21, and I don't think there's anything inappropriate about it... I think I do have a more mature style, but it's also geography.