How many of us go into debt for LV or other brands?

Hello there,

Honestly I see your point..... and I was genuinely interested to see how people go about funding something they totally love, I myself haven't got a card and I will be totally honest to why I have not got one.... I have had various other things in my lifetime that I was unable to pay off.... which left me with financial stress. I know that if I was to get a credit card I would not be so savvy and sensible (I have learned a tough lesson)

It just interested me how many of us on here are in control - whether or not they pay for goods on CC or not.

So I think fair play to everyone.

I thanked everyone for their input because I was pre-warned that this thread may create fireworks... LOL that was honestly never the intention.:smile:

You seem genuinely nice to me. It's all good! :cool:

I think this thread is hilarious.

I quote from wall street journal headlines "Total consumer debt rose 1.1 percent to $11.28 trillion in the third quarter of 2013, the New York Fed".

And on a high-consumerism forum for shopaholics, everyone pays with cash and no one has a credit card debt? :roflmfao:

I was just thinking the same thing!

My mum has put a bag or two on my credit card. She initially pays half or more as a deposit then finalises it within 2 months. I don't see how it's stupid to put yourself in credit card debt you can't pay off within the first bill cycle. Personally, if your kids aren't starving and you are paying all your bills, you do what you want!

I bought my first Chanel with Cash as I had to bank deposit it and I have to say I'm scarred seeing a pile of money disappear from my wallet. I haven't bought a bag since. However I understand the want to have something and put it on the cc.. I judge those who live with mum/dad, don't help out with bills, are inconsiderate to their family and don't help around the house and have nice things whilst their parents struggle to raise fully grown adults!

My mum has put a bag or two on my credit card. She initially pays half or more as a deposit then finalises it within 2 months. I don't see how it's stupid to put yourself in credit card debt you can't pay off within the first bill cycle. Personally, if your kids aren't starving and you are paying all your bills, you do what you want!

I bought my first Chanel with Cash as I had to bank deposit it and I have to say I'm scarred seeing a pile of money disappear from my wallet. I haven't bought a bag since. However I understand the want to have something and put it on the cc.. I judge those who live with mum/dad, don't help out with bills, are inconsiderate to their family and don't help around the house and have nice things whilst their parents struggle to raise fully grown adults!

Totally agree! Paying in cash is painful but helps me in restraining myself lol

The only thing I hate about my debit cards is that I lowered the daily spending limit (larger purchases like mortgage car notes etc come out of DH's business checking) so every time I go to LV my bank send me to the fraud department and I have to talk to managers to raise my limits to complete my purchases. Usually to avoid this I'll transfer money from savings into multiple accounts and pay with two debit cards. The first time this happened it really put a damper on my purchases. I felt like I was begging to spend my money! The only time I take cash is if I'm buying a few SLG's that total like $1000 or less. My DH on the other hand always buys my bags cash, the last bag he purchased without me was my GM Alma and he paid cash. We tend to think our credit cards are more for emergencies, but when we go on vacation or travel we always use credit cards. I'm not sure if DH pays them off immediately but I know he doesn't like carrying balances. I have one credit card and I don't use it, I actually keep it in the back of my zippy wallet. Funny thing is I just got an email from Amex saying that my card was compromised even though it hadn't been used. Then l was contacted by my bank because my debit card was compromised at Neimans... I'm starting to think maybe credit cards would be a lot safer...

I think it's really person-specific based. Some ppl WILL go into debt or some kind of debt to fund new items and some absolutely won't... neither is wrong IMO, just that particular person's choice on how to live their life.

Personally for me, no, it's not worth any possible debt for an item. I have downsized my collection so much over the years, not for a monetary need, but more of a usage need? If that makes sense, lmao. I wanted to go minimal (sorta) and try not to go over like 10 bags (i know, i know, but that's minimal in my eyes lol) and a few useable accessories. If I want something new, I'll either sell something I've fallen out of love with, examine if I REALLY need/want new said item, compromise for something smaller if applicable or just flat out buy it if it's a dire want to me as a last resort and have the funds covered. I think it's just all pretty relative to the individual and current situation at that particular moment. Hope this made some sorta warped sense, heh. :biggrin: :heart:

As a student I will never go into debt for LV. I have a creditcard but this is only up to 1000 euro and this will be credited in the following month. It is not possible to pay the amount later so I have to save up for every new purchase.

I have read all comments so far and I have a feeling one of the motives for this thread might be 'comfort'. When we are in deep it is comforting to know others have been there done that.