How long to wait before "following up" on a job application?

armanigirl

O.G.
Jul 31, 2007
I am DESPERATE need of a new job and I have applied 3 days ago...one company that i really want to work for doesn't do those "automated" emails that say they have reviewed my application or anything....I just found a phone number they have on their website and was wondering what's a good amount of time to wait till i call them to follow up on my application? Also, what should I say if i do call them??

In general, trails go cold on lots of things after 48 hours with no dialogue or follow up. So, it's perfectly appropriate to call the number if it's been 3 days. Not sure if you're in the States, but with the Labor Day holiday on 9/01 you may have to wait until Tuesday.

As far as what to say, just be very positive and state your name and that you applied online for xxx position, you're very interested and would like to know of any next steps or if interviews are being scheduled. It could very well be that they are still screening and identifying candidates they want to interview. And not getting an automated response when you applied means there could have been a glitch on their end or they don't have that configured properly.

When I call to follow up about job applications and interview status, I always stand up and smile. it REALLY gives your voice an extra shot of enthusiasm and confidence. Practice saying what you'll say on the phone a few times...and just be your professional self!

Good luck!

I think 3 days is a good amount of time to wait for a follow-up. Follow Pursegrrl's advice. Even if you didn't make their short list initially, they would probably be impressed with you for calling them.

Thank you pursegrrl and natalie!

that's a great tip about standing up =) I will definately call them on Tuesday!!!

Let us know how it goes! And yep, standing up when on the phone totally helps. I've been in the workforce almost 20 years so I am no expert but I have learned a few tips along the way I am happy to share with others!

No matter how this one pans out, start a journal or spreadsheet or whatever works for you on the jobs you're applying for, the key contact person(s) there, and how it ended up (interview, no interview, etc). That way you'll have a great log of your progress! :tup:

If you applied for a specific posting that had a closing date - then it's probably best to wait until after that date...I find that in my mind (and just my opinion), candidates seem a bit pushy if they're contacting me prior to a closing date. When I'm hiring, I always email everyone after the closing date to confirm receipt and to let them know that short listed candidates will be contacted at X date.

But if it was just an open posting...then go ahead and contact them :smile:
HTH
Good luck!

Last edited:
If you applied for a specific posting that had a closing date - then it's probably best to wait until after that date...I find that in my mind (and just my opinion), candidates seem a bit pushy if they're contacting me prior to a closing date. When I'm hiring, I always email everyone after the closing date to confirm receipt and to let them know that short listed candidates will be contacted at X date.

But if it was just an open posting...then go ahead and contact them :smile:
HTH
Good luck!

ITA. Plus sometimes job listings specify "no calls please" and the hiring staff really mean it. (At least I do).