How long to repair damaged hair?

Chanel522

O.G.
Nov 8, 2009
I posted the other day about starting Biotin daily because of my hair shedding so badly right now so I've been wearing it curly, which is how it is naturally, for the past week with absolutely no heat styling or anything other than Deva Curl anGEL to prevent frizzies. I'm going to pick up Coconut Oil today to use daily on my ends, and once per week as a deep conditioning treatment that I'll leave in overnight. I also just ordered both Alfaparf and Rene Furterer shampoo/conditioner/hair treatments, so if I keep this up religiously and only use heat styling maybe once a month, how long should it take to get my hair back to good health? I'm so impatient...lol!!

**I mainly have damage from heat styling, which has caused breakage and some dryness, and I've been losing hair like CRAZY after my breast augmentation in April. Have been losing thickness in general though for the past five years I think primarily due to stress/anxiety.

It will take several months. Damaged hair will not repair in a matter of a couple weeks. I would look into possibly getting a keratin treatment at your salon as that would put protein back into your hair. A trim off the ends will also help make your hair look and feel better immediately.

It will take several months. Damaged hair will not repair in a matter of a couple weeks. I would look into possibly getting a keratin treatment at your salon as that would put protein back into your hair. A trim off the ends will also help make your hair look and feel better immediately.

I just got a trim a few weeks ago and it did make my hair feel better like it always does, but my stylist was concerned that since I'm already feeling like my hair has thinned so much that a Keratin treatment would only make me feel like I have less volume. She also said that there's a certain amount of damage from Keratin treatments, as well.

It's interesting that you mention hair issues after your augmentation. I had a major medical procedure a few years back. The doctor warned me before that hair loss or dryness can occur for some, due to the anesthesia.

Sure enough, my hair was super dry and shed like crazy. The only thing that really helped with the shedding was Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner (used it weekly), I started taking FutureBiotic hair & nail vitamins (got them from Whole Foods) and I increased my water intake. After about 3 months my hair was in better condition than before the surgery.

Biotin didn't actually work for me so I've recently stopped using it. The best thing I've found for my hair has been switching to organic hair products (particularly shampoo and conditioner). I had a really big problem with shedding before and once I switched, the different was just incredible - and it was an overnight change too.

I had a problem of dry hair due to bleach and heat styling, I used to bleach it almost every month.

I had to get my hair shorter to get rid of the most problematic part which was the ends and then try to repair the other part.
What it worked for me is phytokarite mask for ultra dry hair from phyto and almond oil (do not use it on the roots, you are gonna regret it) shampoo and conditioner for dry hair: sebastian or kerastase.
My rutine is: 1 day the almond oil an hour before the shower, the next day phyto mask, 20 minutes before shower, then the next day almond oil again, not using any styling creams, heat styling is banned! You shouldn't use it not even once a month, let it dry by itself. I was losing hair at some point and biotin helped me a lot with that, I used it for 2 weeks and I saw results, but biotin helps if you have a deficiency of that vitamin and it doesn't help to repair the hair.

It took me a year or year and half.
Right now my hair it's as it was before the bleach, but it's smooth and it looks healthy.
It will take you a lot of time, patience and money or you could just cut it :smile:

Biotin helped somewhat with my hair but I started using pure 100% almond oil and used a shower cap to have it on my hair for an hour a few times a week and that really helped to make it stronger.

Is Coconut Oil good for hair?

It is one of the best oils you can use for your hair!

About the topic: it is interesting how people still believe you can "fix" damaged hair. You can't. If your hair is damaged/split/whatever, you will need to grow it out. It is like a nail, a split nail will not grow back together, you will have to wait until it grows out. So, "fixing" damaged hair can take years.

A good cut will help more than any product. Agree with the above post. Damage is done, nothing will repair it to healthy again. Over heat styling can't be fixed. Conditioning may help but it can't be made healthy again.

I posted the other day about starting Biotin daily because of my hair shedding so badly right now so I've been wearing it curly, which is how it is naturally, for the past week with absolutely no heat styling or anything other than Deva Curl anGEL to prevent frizzies. I'm going to pick up Coconut Oil today to use daily on my ends, and once per week as a deep conditioning treatment that I'll leave in overnight. I also just ordered both Alfaparf and Rene Furterer shampoo/conditioner/hair treatments, so if I keep this up religiously and only use heat styling maybe once a month, how long should it take to get my hair back to good health? I'm so impatient...lol!!

**I mainly have damage from heat styling, which has caused breakage and some dryness, and I've been losing hair like CRAZY after my breast augmentation in April. Have been losing thickness in general though for the past five years I think primarily due to stress/anxiety.
I usually don't share this secret with everyone, but I used to always have a problem with my hair breaking off.
But I began using this product:
EQyss Mega Tek Equine Rebuilder. Yes, Equine. It's made for a horse's mane, but it says "Safe for Human Use" on the side of the bottle. It smells great, like coconut.
After you wash your hair, just put a little on your finger tip and rub it on your scalp. Just keep parting your hair until you get the areas you want.
It thickens your hair and makes it grow. I've been using it since 2008, and my hair has gotten really thick and I've gone from short hair to hair down my back. No joke!
I even gave some to my hairdresser and she has recommended the product to most of her other clients as well!
Remember, use it very sparingly because you don't want it to flake on your scalp.
EQyss also makes a human version, but it doesn't work as well and it's about twice the price.
Look on Amazon.com for the cheapest bottle. It's about $26.00 and should last about 3 years.
I say I don't share this with everyone because if EQyss found out how well it worked for people, they'd increase the price. Shhh! It's our little secret.

http://www.amazon.com/Eqyss-Groomin...ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A16EQQFLPSKFJZ

Good luck!

Chanel522 - also, don't worry about losing your hair after your breast augmentation. That usually happens after someone is given anesthesia. Your doctor should have shared that with you. Just don't let it stress you out (I know, easier said than done). But stressing out will make your hair worse.
Just try the Mega Tek and go on enjoying life. It may take up to a year to get your hair really thick, but this should work, especially if you have medical problems that thin your hair. :smile:
Let me know if you have any questions.