How Long Does a Seller Have to Acknowledge a Sale?

MizzEve

Jan 12, 2013
Just wondering, how long does a seller have to communicate with the winning bidder/buyer of a listing? Or, is a seller even required to communicate?

I've won half a dozen auctions over the last couple of weeks and noticed that most of the sellers never communicate with me. In most cases I get the tracking info in a few days so I know they have received payment and at least plan on mailing my item, but I have no idea when and just keep checking the tracking number to see when the item will arrive. In one case I didn't hear from the seller for five days.

On the other hand, I bought a very inexpensive item from an international seller who was incredibly gracious and kind in his communications with me. I want to buy more items from him just because he was so nice. He nicely packaged the item and even included a postcard of his town in the package. Those personal touches really make a difference to me.

A seller is not required to communicate with the winner.

I choose not to communicate too much because I don't want to overwhelm people with too many messages. I know that Ebay sends a couple of messages, then another message with tracking is sent. I always send a message to the buyer with that tracking email (there is an option in Paypal to add a message to the buyer when they send the tracking information), but I don't send anything else through ebay.

It is true though, that I always mail the package the same day, or the next day, so the buyers are not left wondering about their purchases for days.

I occasionally contacted buyers after a win but only when they were new Ebay members from foreign countries, to warn them about delivery time and potential customs charges.

I personally think that many people could be annoyed by too many messages, but maybe I'm wrong.

I have never sold on eBay, but I do buy...a lot! I don't expect a seller to communicate with me after a sale and many don't. On more expensive items, I get emails about half of the time, particularly from international sellers. I do get automatically generated ems with tracking numbers a lot. I kind of prefer not hearing from people - I don't need a new best friend, just my item, please!!

eBay prefers to handle all of the communications themselves and gives the seller a 5 in communication if not communication is generated.

I do my communication via the PP e-mail address/

I've sold a lot on eBay and don't normally email buyers after they won. They get automated purchase conformation from eBay telling them to pay. I use paypal to print shipping labels and they also send automated tracking notice to buyers. Everything is very smooth. The only time I would email the buyer is of there are unexpected circumstances that come up such as a delayed shipping time, etc. just as when you order from online websites, it is not common to get emails from the vendor. And no need.

Now that it is possible to provide automated shipping and tracking updates through Ebay and/or Paypal, many sellers don't communicate with buyers directly.

I do like to hear something, automated or otherwise - within a few days on a high priced item - within a week or so on a lower priced item.

Just wondering, how long does a seller have to communicate with the winning bidder/buyer of a listing? Or, is a seller even required to communicate?

I've won half a dozen auctions over the last couple of weeks and noticed that most of the sellers never communicate with me. In most cases I get the tracking info in a few days so I know they have received payment and at least plan on mailing my item, but I have no idea when and just keep checking the tracking number to see when the item will arrive. In one case I didn't hear from the seller for five days.

On the other hand, I bought a very inexpensive item from an international seller who was incredibly gracious and kind in his communications with me. I want to buy more items from him just because he was so nice. He nicely packaged the item and even included a postcard of his town in the package. Those personal touches really make a difference to me.

I treat people the way I want to be treated so in my recent sale, I added a personal thank you note. I think it's a nice gesture and I want people to know I appreciate their business.

Ebay doesn't want sellers to communicate with their buyers. If we do then we're no longer eligible to receive 5 stars on communicaton. So as long as you receive what you bought, consider it a good transaction.

Ebay doesn't want sellers to communicate with their buyers. If we do then we're no longer eligible to receive 5 stars on communicaton. So as long as you receive what you bought, consider it a good transaction.

A seller who hasn't had any communication doesn't receive an automatic five stars but the buyer can still leave the seller five stars.

I recently purchased a small item which required some communication. The seller (and it was a high volume seller) was so sweet and helpful I wish I could have left her more than five stars for communication.

Last edited:
It seems the automated paypal/ebay notices are probably sufficient. But, what about when you never get an automated notice other than the one from ebay confirming your win? In that case, how long does the seller have to generate a tracking number? In other words, how long does the buyer have to wait before getting concerned?

It seems the automated paypal/ebay notices are probably sufficient. But, what about when you never get an automated notice other than the one from ebay confirming your win? In that case, how long does the seller have to generate a tracking number? In other words, how long does the buyer have to wait before getting concerned?
There's a proper turnaround time on eBay... I want to say it's 4 to 7 days but I could be wrong. This is the date by which they're supposed to ship your item.

For me, the automated "item shipped" email is fine, but if I don't have one within a week, I worry. If the seller doesn't communicate personally and eBay doesn't automatically alert me of their steps regarding my purchase, I consider this poor communication. I don't mind not receiving personal touches--I seek that at brick and mortar stores. But, if the seller is not telling me what they're doing with my items, or not telling eBay what's going on (so eBay can tell me), that's bad.

I'd say give your seller about a week. If you're really concerned though, you should reach out to them yourself. If they don't ever respond, maybe reflect that in their DSR rating.

I don't usually expect a seller to send me any communication, but I do look for an uploaded tracking number and go by that as to when my package will arrive. If they don't upload tracking info, then I will usually wait a week to 10 days, during which time things usually show up. If they don't, I will contact the seller. I have had sellers wait a week+ to mail with no email or reason.