How long can I expect to have crystal stud earrings without tarnishing?

ehy210

O.G.
Apr 21, 2011
Hey everyone. For those of you who have the Chanel crystal stud earrings(or any other Chanel costume earrings), how long can I expect to have them before they start to tarnish? I know they're not real silver or gold plated so I've heard that they'll tarnish with wear. I definitely won't be wearing them in the shower or getting them wet- I'm just concerned with natural oils from skin and such. A tpfer said she's had hers for 7 years with no tarnishing! But then others have said they've had theirs for a year before they couldn't wear them anymore. If I take care of them- will they really last years and years without tarnishing even though they're costume jewelry? Thanks!

It depends on how you where it (I don't where them every day) and how you take care of your earrings (I don't get them wet and I store them properly). Basically I treat my Chanel jewelery the same way I treat my fine jewelry...with care. I have had my crystal earrings for over a year and they are as beautiful as the day that I purchased them.

I've never heard of them being replated. Yes, I would be careful if I got them. I was just wondering how long they last on average before they tarnish- considering that you take really good care of them.

^ Thanks Summer905. That was really helpful. I was worried about tarnishing due to natural oils from the skin but I think i'll go ahead and purchase them :smile:

I've had my crystal studs since 2004 and I've never had any problems with tarnishing. When I bought them I was 15 and although I wasn't careless with them, I wasn't exactly careful either. They still look brand new. I don't think you have anything to worry about :smile:

I've had my crystal studs since 2004 and I've never had any problems with tarnishing. When I bought them I was 15 and although I wasn't careless with them, I wasn't exactly careful either. They still look brand new. I don't think you have anything to worry about :smile:

Thanks that was very helpful! I've decided to purchase them since I know now that they won't tarnish within a year if I take care of them. The only problem is that I'm having the hardest time finding a pair :sad: