How long after the death of a beloved dog to adopt a puppy?

I was devastated and didnt want another for awhile after it came time to put
my rottie down. My trainer had a litter of pups that were 12 weeks and pretty much made me take one to see how I coped. I ended up falling in love and babying him to death. So for me it was a few days to a week at most. Now I couldnt imagine not having him.

Beth001, first I want to say how sorry I am for your loss - it sounds like you are great pet parents. We have just faced a very similar situation with the loss of one of our pets three weeks ago. We weren't sure how long we would wait to get another pup, but after looking on petfinder.com, I realized how many dogs need a good home and I started considering dogs that would fit with our family. I came across a great little girl dog that was rescued from a puppy mill and we decided to adopt her.

I still cry over the loss of my other pet, but I love taking in a new dog and working to make her feel loved and secure in her new environment. If you feel that you are ready to be a strong, loving parent again, then any time is the right time. If you still feel too heartbroken, then its best to wait so that you can devote the needed attention to the new pet.

Good luck and I wish the best for you.

I wonder the same thing everytime I see someone with a cute puppy , I had to put my Golden Retriver down on Febuary of this year . I had him for 13 years , It was the hardest thing I have ever done , I see little golden puppies and I think I want one, but I still don't ever want to go through watching my dog in pain dieing and feeling helpless while he was suffering . My heart just feels empty without my dog .
My prayers are with you , your dog was very beautiful dog .

beth and Prada, I am so sorry for your losses!

beth, don't worry about Jake. I'll tell my cat Lucky to look out for him in Heaven and they can play together.

Prada, I am so glad you found happiness with Gracie. (Sam would totally approve!)

It all depends on you and when you feel ready.

After I lost my cat Lucky, it took me a while before I was ready, but I knew I was when I had the feeling that somehow Lucky sent them to me so I wouldn't be lonely without him.

It's comforting to know that I have pets that Lucky would've approved of.

Louis and Willie are now three and I love them so much. They're my boys.

I am so sorry to about your loss. I had a 17 year old poodle who we had to put down last 1993. It was only last year that I, well not exactly cause it was my DH who just got a puppy and literally dumped it on my lap, got a mini schnauzer. That is 17 years of being dogless, I must say, there are times when I wished I had gotten a pet sooner and there are times that I wished I did not get him at all. I think what you should consider first and foremost is if you have the time and energy to train and care for a new puppy. Because aside from the emotional attachment, these basic things are what you consider first. I hope your new pet will be as wonderful as Jake.

I am so sorry for your loss too Beth. I had a Sheltie about 25 years ago and he too had seizures and had to be put down. I keep a photograph of him in my hallway, he was a Champion showdog.

One of the things his handler told me after I lost Noel was this: When you look for get a new dog, don't look for a replacement. No dog is every going to be just like Jake, so don't bother looking for one who looks or acts like Jake. If you prefer the Sheltie breed (and who doesn't? They are great!) consider a different coat color or gender. Or both. That way, the pup doesn't have to fill the collar of your old dog. If breed doesn't matter, then look into other dogs.

If you can't handle a puppy, look into breed rescues. Noel (my old Sheltie) was a former stud and show dog who's owner just had one dog too many, and by AKC standards, he could no longer be used for stud. (The owner charged her handler with finding the old dogs a home to retire too.) I only had him for two years, but I never forgot him. Breed rescues are great at finding you just the perfect pup, and stats show that 25% of shelter dogs ARE purebred.

Take your time. I spend a lot of time alone, so I know when it's time for my dogs to leave me, I will get a new dog... not to replace my girls, but to honor their memory by having another of their species to make my life as rich as it is now.

So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how you feel. I almost lost one of my dogs this past year when he was hit by a car and a truck and that was devestating.

Like everyone else has said -- do whatever soothes your heart. Take care.

Sorry for your loss. A good time to get a new puppy is when you feel ready, and for each person it's different. You will know because your heartstrings will start to pull at the thought of a new puppy.

I waited until Thanksgiving Day to post back and THANK YOU ALL for your kind and helpful words. All of you understand how much a dog is a part of your home and your heart. Every little routine in the house is different without him here and we are all feeling it. Walking into the house, loading the dishwasher, preparing a meal, going to bed, waking up -- all were filled with rituals and his presence and his absence is SO obvious and SO sad.

I think that if we wait to get a new dog, we may find every practical reason not to do it, but I also think that we all know we want another dog. In fact, we are now thinking that we will get TWO dogs! There is a breeder within about an hour of us who has 3 shelties left from a litter of 6. Two are female and one is a male. I've been emailing back and forth with her, and she's sent pics and descriptions of their personalities, and the male and one of the females seem very good for us. If we can work it out, we may drive there tomorrow to meet the breeder and the pups, who will be 10-weeks old tomorrow, and their parents. And, if all goes well, we will have a girl and boy baby sheltie making us CRAZY in the next few days! It won't take away from how much we loved Jaked, but it will help us move forward and honor him by giving love to more sheltie doggies. That's what he taught us how to do!

^^^Aw, that's so nice to hear, Beth. It really will be a blessing to have a new baby in the house after losing so beloved a dog as Jake. I know Gracie helped us in a lot of ways, but just having her to take care of helped us refocus our grief. She was a rescue dog, so she needed us as much as we needed her. And of course, Sam was here showing her the ropes, so to speak. ;)

Awww, I'm so sorry about your doggie.

As far me, I've only had to go through one loss of a dog in my lifetime. I wanted another dog right away. I can't recall exactly how long I waited, but as soon as I got my current dog I felt so much better because I had a new dog to love. It didn't make me love my dog that had passed any less, but I was able to focus my attention on the new pup. It's a personal thing, but I think getting another pup can help you heal.

My family waited 5 days before we adopted my 2 current dogs :shame:
it wasnt out of lack of mourning because we all still cry over the loss of our first dog but my 2 pups helped us through the inital mourning. My family couldnt handle a house without a dog in it :crybaby:

((((Beth)))) I am sooo sorry for your loss. We lost our beloved Emily (pug) when she was just three years old. We were devestated. But we were so lost without her that we only waited two weeks before we got another dog. It was a HUGE mistake. We were so hurt by losing her we decided to not get another pug so we purchased a cockapoo. Sadie came into our home last Christmas. I trully love Sadie, but she is not that well suited to our home. She is a bundle of energy that never stops. I totally regret not waiting. I miss not owning a pug and Sadie deserves to be in a home where she is cherished.
Anyway, my point is the right time to buy a dog is when you are ready, but don't do it too soon. I think had we waited we would have owned another pug.

sarah2808, I'm so sorry to hear that it didn't work out the way you had hoped with Sadie. I think, though, that we made a good decision by staying with the Sheltie breed. Yes, they shed alot and they bark alot, but they have the kind of energy level that works for us, and they are some of the SWEETEST dogs in temperament. Smart, too. And, yes, we adopted the two puppies we went to visit the other day! I have "baby pics" from the breeder, and just haven't had time to upload new pics of them in our home, but I will ASAP. Their names are Clancey and Casey and they are just two tiny little bundles of cute!