How is tiffany viewed these days?

In Europe we are not naturally Tiffany buyers, most of those I see in T are tourists, and in the UK I'm not sure people are even into jewellery beyond the odd chain and traditional milestone pieces here. What's fashionable now are still mostly charms and stackables, and people are into the look rather than a name. We don't really have the same tradition of giving branded jewellery as presents on graduation.

For me, the only reason to buy jewellery from designers new (or pre-loved if discontinued) is the design itself. Liza Minelli in Elsa Peretti Bone cuffs during her Halston/Studio 54 days are iconic and have always been on my list but I've only started letting myself buy my heart's desires over the last few years and it takes time to work through the list. It's no good someone saying to me that it's only silver, that's like saying a Picasso painting is only paint. Would I buy something because it says 'Tiffany' on it? No. Would I want the gold version of the Bone cuff? No, that it is silver is part of its iconic appeal (not that I don't love the gold version too). It's nice they do a range at all price-points, it's nice they do silver as well as gold. I also like they reintroduced their lifestyle pieces. I think T's HardWear line has a strong design aesthetic too and encouraged me to look further.

I cannot comment as a long time buyer of T and I only have a couple of pieces bought new (both gold) and I have found their CS and aftercare very good. What made me spend some money was their charity line that went towards Save the Wild, and it impressed me Tiffany gave generously not just a nominal amount. I will get my EP cuff someday. However, there are some price discrepancies between the US and the UK prices, where some are comparable and some are not so it's a bit off-putting to have to pay ip to third more for the same piece.

Here in Australia so many girls/women get around with the silver ‘Return to Tiffany’ pieces. I bought & wore a few select pieces many years ago when T&Co first opened here, but now everyone seems to have them and they remind me of dog tags. They are too common now & come across as an low(ish) priced accessory for girls trying to prove to others that they are classy.

My engagement & wedding band are from T&Co. I have a rose gold classic e-ring paired with a 3mm shared setting band and I love love love them. They are understated, don’t scream “look at me, I’m from Tiffany!” and they sparkle like crazy. I also wear an Elsa Peretti open heart necklace in rose gold daily, which I also treasure.

I guess I’m saying that to me their silver collection does not appeal any more & seems kind of tacky. I don’t associate those with luxury at all, but I still really like some (not all) of T&Co’s gold & platinum jewellery.

I wouldn't get a 'plain' item at Tiffany's (diamond or pearl or basic gold stud earrings, a simple necklace with no charm, etc). Anything that I could buy the exact same item/design elsewhere.

But I love the designs in the Tiffany HardWear collection, and some of the Keys collection is interesting. I also love my Tiffany sunglasses.

The customer service at Tiffany's has always been wonderful, even when just looking. I've heard too many stories about bad Cartier customer service to want to shop there, and don't love any of the designs.

I'd want to shop Paul Morelli, Marla Aaron, or another independent designer, or maybe Bvlgari rather than Cartier or VCA.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, Tiffany & Co. still has a certain aura for most middle class American women. I was at a baby shower a few months ago for a family member, and when someone complimented my engagement ring, my sister immediately chirped (as she always does), “It’s from Tiffany!” Immediately about a half dozen women swarmed me and wanted to see it. I grew up in a working class immigrant family, and most of my extended family are still in that income bracket, and a Tiffany diamond ring is a BIG DEAL to them. Most don’t own anything from Tiffany & Co., certainly not any fine jewelry pieces. So while to me it isn’t as special as it used to be, I know I’m a bit out of touch in that regard. I do still like Tiffany and will continue to buy it (its aesthetic compliments my style, I think the quality is good, and the customer service and aftercare, as others have noted, is exceptional). Is it the best option for those for whom money is no object? Maybe not, but it will always have its devotees. Shortly before non-essential businesses shut down in my state, I took my son into the local Tiffany boutique. As we crossed the street, he asked where we were going, and I replied, “We’re going to Mommy’s Disneyland.”

I feel Tiffany is still iconic, its name is still synonymous with quality and class. The sought-after allure remains, although it has changed, for the better, at least for me.

A few years back I felt Tiffany was behind in terms of their designs. After the popularity of their silver jewellery was overshadowed by other trendier brands, they had a gap - there was no high-end or entry level designs that captured the world of jewellery. Until Tiffany T came along and it was somewhat revived, but their game was not strong enough. Paper flowers came and it set the stage to push the brand into the sophisticated fine jewellery market again.

Pretty sure many of us can still recall the days when the Tiffany silver bracelet and heart tag are THE pieces to have and flaunt, and the charms are so lovely to collect. I'm quite pleased that is now over because now their gold and fine jewellery can shine, and many of their designs are classics and just beautiful.

Many of Tiffany's designs are timeless, Victoria, Atlas, T, Keys, and some designs by Paloma and Peretti, just to name a few I like. I hope Tiffany can position itself this decade as a brand with modern, classic and timeless pieces without going back or becoming one which everyone who is somebody must own a piece of their entry level silver pieces (again). The fine jewellery should sing their song without being muted by the louder components.

That said, I'm looking at which Tiffany pieces I can add to my collection, whether fine and silver pieces as I love them both.

What constitutes something being iconic or still relevant? Is it brand exclusivity, the cost, who’s wearing it, what’s being sold? And who makes the decision as to what is still considered to be relevant or high end? Just wondering because I see these kinds of threads regarding other brands too and always wonder is there some sort of “council” that makes these determinations or is it just individual taste and opinions?

See, for me, Cartier lost it's luster 40 years ago, and never got it back. I crush so hard on classic Cartier, but when the family stopped being involved, the company made some stupid decisions.
I see women wearing Love bracelets and Tank watches, and I usually assume that they are gold-plated pieces. I still refer to the late 70s through 80s Cartier as "The Avon Years."
They have lousy customer service, no real support, and they keep rehashing the same designs over, and over again.
Cartier is like a wine bar with no labels - you might get two-buck Chuck or you might get Chateau Rothschild - you never know.

Tiffany - well, Tiffany is the Starbucks of jewelry. They have a few signature pieces, some seasonal stuff, but their virtue is that they are consistent. Customer service is always good. Aftercare is excellent. Most of my "basics" are from Tiffany, because I can just drop them off at any boutique, no worries. They check my prongs, check the settings, clean them and they are still gorgeous.

As for Van Cleef? I don't own any, but the fact that they don't recognize their own jewelry, and won't work on anything without a receipt or CoA? Who keeps all that paperwork? All I've got to say is, I'm giving them some serious side-eye and taking them off my want list.
I agree with your sentiments on Tiffany, thank you for the info on VCA I dont think I will bother purchasing the VCA item on my wishlist.

Reactions: CrazyCool01
What constitutes something being iconic or still relevant? Is it brand exclusivity, the cost, who’s wearing it, what’s being sold? And who makes the decision as to what is still considered to be relevant or high end? Just wondering because I see these kinds of threads regarding other brands too and always wonder is there some sort of “council” that makes these determinations or is it just individual taste and opinions?
You might get more informed, verbose responses, but I firmly believe that “individual taste and opinion” is the right answer. There can come a time when public opinion is so overwhelming - such as when the public turned very, very cold on logos several years ago - that you can state authoritatively, “This is very out, this is totally passé,” but I don’t think the current discussion is at that level. There is no overwhelming consensus on this one, I don’t think.

You might get more informed, verbose responses, but I firmly believe that “individual taste and opinion” is the right answer. There can come a time when public opinion is so overwhelming - such as when the public turned very, very cold on logos several years ago - that you can state authoritatively, “This is very out, this is totally passé,” but I don’t think the current discussion is at that level. There is no overwhelming consensus on this one, I don’t think.
Yeah I guess to some extent. I mean think about it, logos were “authoritatively” considered “so out” by public opinion yet LV’s monogram line is still their most sold and their most iconic bags are monogram and still respected today (still love my Neverfull and PM). It all really depends on where you reside too. I guess I’m one of those that just wears what I like...public opinion rarely, if ever, go into my bag, clothing or jewelry choices.

I have grown up with Tiffany and I don't think they're dated as a brand at all. I do think some pieces (silver, specifically) are geared toward the entry-level buyer and as we age out of those pieces, the brand can feel dated to many. But there are lots of classic, understated pieces that stand the test of time, IMO.

I have a Tiffany Sterling trinket box I received for my Christening that I treasure and a few smaller pieces (both gold and silver) I've acquired over the years. I'm not a big jewelry person overall - I prefer everyday pieces vs statement pieces. I also have some housewares pieces and Tiffany housewares are my go-to wedding gifts. Who can say "no thank you" to a beautiful decanter or pitcher? Invite me to your wedding and you're almost guaranteed to receive something from Tiffany.

I like some Cartier - I'm not into VCA at all (though I do appreciate them - it's just not my style)

Two problems (if I can call them that): Problem 1) I have a close friend who owns a very nice jewelry store (not a chain) - so while I admire many Tiffany and Cartier pieces I end up buying from my friend who gives me generous discounts I wouldn't otherwise receive. I'm currently having a ring custom made similar to the Cartier Love Ring with alternating rubies and diamonds (I had the rubies from a family ring I never wore). I'm happy to have the ballpark design but without the obvious Cartier brand.

Problem 2) My name is Tiffany and I feel like an ass wearing obvious Tiffany Jewelry. I don't own any RTT or anything that screams "Tiffany". I've always been self conscious about this and never really loved being named Tiffany - though I've accepted it 50+ years later :facepalm:

Last edited:
It’s great to see that so many people still love Tiffany. Their customer service is great and they have a huge variety in styles so many people can find something they love. I loved Tiffany as a college student and in my 20s but now much closer to 50 I am definitely a VCA collector now. I just wandered back into the Tiffany forum to do a little research on the hardware line which has an edgy, fun and sardonic vibe that none of the other brands offer. It’s nice to see that a lot of the classic Tiffany styles are still appreciated.

I still like Tiffany & Co. Aside from their younger styles, their overall look tends to be clean and classy. Elsa Peretti’s designs are old school but stand the test of time with their beauty and simplicity. I really, really like Tiffany’s HardWear collection (though I find the silver pieces there disappointingly overpriced). But I like browsing through the Tiffany website from time to time just to enjoy their aesthetic.

Cartier is nice but I don’t get as excited over what they have. Maybe my favorite collections are Panthere, Juste un Clou, and Trinity... But their designs don’t often catch my eye the same way as Tiffany.

I like Tiffany, but not like I did when I was younger. For the longest time they really embraced the daintier styles, and that’s not really me. I do like their newer T line, and I still love many of the Peretti and Picasso pieces. I have some porcelain as well.
I find often the aesthetic of Cartier appeals to me more, but not exclusively.
The silver does not appeal to me at all. Primarily because it’s over exposed where I love, and it tarnishes badly! I have had Hermes silver that never tarnished after years, but Tiffany silver looks horrible so fast! (I don’t wear white metals much at all anymore so it’s a moot point anyway)
That being said, I’m already browsing for my daughter(s)’s first Tiffany pieces...

Reactions: MooMooVT
Among all 3 luxury jewelry brands, I personally own Tiffany pieces the most, second by Van Cleef, and last by Cartier. I belong to the crowd who love to wear pave jewelries. For some strange reason, I have never loved that much of Cartier's designs, and only own a Cartier Ballon Bleu diamond bezel watch.

For Tiffany, I once loved their designs from 15-20 years ago. However, as others have mentioned, Tiffany may have retired & rotated their classic jewelry designs too often, and now introducing too many silver and plainer gold/diamond designs in recent years. I have not found any Tiffany designs that I like for the past 7-8 years after their yellow diamond collection.

Now, talking about Van Cleef, I used to find their designs over-rated & overpriced However, over past few years, I grow to love their designs more and more. I love how VCA jewelries can bring out the grace and elegance of its wearers; and one has to try on the jewelry piece to really see this magic from VCA jewelry. So, for me, I think my future acquisitions likely come from VCA.

Last edited:
I still like Tiffany & Co. Aside from their younger styles, their overall look tends to be clean and classy. Elsa Peretti’s designs are old school but stand the test of time with their beauty and simplicity. I really, really like Tiffany’s HardWear collection (though I find the silver pieces there disappointingly overpriced). But I like browsing through the Tiffany website from time to time just to enjoy their aesthetic.

Cartier is nice but I don’t get as excited over what they have. Maybe my favorite collections are Panthere, Juste un Clou, and Trinity... But their designs don’t often catch my eye the same way as Tiffany.
I agree with your sentiments about tiffany.

Reactions: sparklebunny