How is tiffany viewed these days?

Tiffany hasn't lost it's luster. It's popular in Australia amongst the luxury jewellery brands. Return to Tiffany and Keys, I've only ever seen on teens and new graduates. I've seen designs that aren't so distinctly Tiffany on wealthy white Australians. By that, I mean the ones who live in the wealthy areas of Sydney. I think Tiffany has been increasingly popular in the last 5 years, thanks to 90s and 00s trends coming back and social media influencers.

I've never been big on Tiffany. It has always felt like my cousin's thing, who's living her dream in NYC like Breakfast at Tiffany's or Gossip Girl. We're close in age but we grew up in different countries. Tiffany, in the late 00s and early 2010s, wasn't as popular in Australia as it was in the US. Perhaps it's because T&Co is American. Pandora was more desirable here and it's still a popular choice. It's just not luxury in my books.

Tiffany's only recently captured my interest with their T line. I like their HardWear line too. I don't own any jewellery from the luxury brands but I've chosen the Cartier JUC ring as my first.

I have grown up with Tiffany and I don't think they're dated as a brand at all. I do think some pieces (silver, specifically) are geared toward the entry-level buyer and as we age out of those pieces, the brand can feel dated to many. But there are lots of classic, understated pieces that stand the test of time, IMO.

I have a Tiffany Sterling trinket box I received for my Christening that I treasure and a few smaller pieces (both gold and silver) I've acquired over the years. I'm not a big jewelry person overall - I prefer everyday pieces vs statement pieces. I also have some housewares pieces and Tiffany housewares are my go-to wedding gifts. Who can say "no thank you" to a beautiful decanter or pitcher? Invite me to your wedding and you're almost guaranteed to receive something from Tiffany.

I like some Cartier - I'm not into VCA at all (though I do appreciate them - it's just not my style)

Two problems (if I can call them that): Problem 1) I have a close friend who owns a very nice jewelry store (not a chain) - so while I admire many Tiffany and Cartier pieces I end up buying from my friend who gives me generous discounts I wouldn't otherwise receive. I'm currently having a ring custom made similar to the Cartier Love Ring with alternating rubies and diamonds (I had the rubies from a family ring I never wore). I'm happy to have the ballpark design but without the obvious Cartier brand.

Problem 2) My name is Tiffany and I feel like an ass wearing obvious Tiffany Jewelry. I don't own any RTT or anything that screams "Tiffany". I've always been self conscious about this and never really loved being named Tiffany - though I've accepted it 50+ years later :facepalm:
This is such a cute post. Another late reply to an older post...but here it is anyway...

My favorite metals for jewelry are: yellow gold, sterling silver, and platinum. To me, (yellow) gold and silver are equally beautiful. Silver is a beautiful, bright white metal, not as gray as platinum/palladium; platinum is special, however, for its durability in holding precious stones. It is a shame that silver tarnishes and is thus a little more high-maintenance.

Chunky classic Tiffany sterling silver pieces are a beautiful, rich aesthetic. I actually still wanted a heavy silver chain piece, but with a plain round toggle--discontinued in favor of hearts everywhere!!! A lot of the more recent pieces, so, are clearly targeting a younger audience...and I forgot to mention that the "saturation" problem I complained about is largely due to the unfortunate bombardment of silver counterfeits (at least in North America) which T&Co has sadly been unable to defend against. So it's not solely T&Co's fault; their popularity has ironically made them a victim, too.

And yeah, I agree with others that I only want 1-2 pieces from Cartier, not sure about VCA...but so many fun and pretty things from T&Co were on my want list and still sort of are. Maybe it's also because I grew up with lots of TV shows and movies featuring T&Co...I still associate it with Cher from "Clueless", and Elle from "Legally Blonde". :biggrin:

I think Tiffany's is still very much regarded as a luxury brand in the UK (I mean, we pay a major price hike for the privilege of buying it at home versus in the US). Yes, some pieces are more popular and "common" than others.

When I was at Law School, in my class of 10 girls, I think 6 of us had some variant of the Return to Tiffany heart necklace while we were at University. I don't think Tiffany's is any different than Louis Vuitton in that regard, there's a few pieces (such as the Speedy or Neverfull in the case of LV) that are 'mainstream' and at an 'affordable' price point, but it's still certainly a 'luxury' brand.

I've never bought from Cartier or VCA before, but I view their jewellery as much more like occasion wear, whereas for me Tiffany's is something to wear everyday, especially sterling silver pieces. I actually think there's certain scenarios where depending on your style, Tiffany's might be a better choice than Cartier. I've been eyeing the Love bracelet for years but I don't think I'm going to bite the bullet anytime soon. In this regard, I really like the T collection from Tiffany's because it feels like their attempt to launch something equivalent to the style aesthetic of the Love range, and you benefit by getting something that's not as 'overdone' as the love bracelet. (not hating on it, I would sell a kidney for one but you know...)

I think Tiffany's will always be regarded as a luxury brand, even if it goes up and down in popularity. It's a brand every woman wants to own at least one piece from in their lifetime (similar to Louis Vuitton or Chanel), and if you ask a woman if they've ever looked at a Tiffany's engagement ring they'd be lying if they said no.
I completely agree with you regarding Cartier’s LOVE collection and Tiffany’s T collection. After going into the Cartier boutique and trying on the LOVE bracelet and ring, I just couldn’t pull the trigger for some reason. I eventually realized it was that the design was just too over saturated for me. After searching around, I came across the Tiffany T line and instantly knew that was exactly what I was looking for and what made my hear sing. I’m also attracted to the fact that not too many people are wearing these pieces and that they are a mix of modern, eddy and feminine (with the diamonds).

Will chime in... I still love Tiffany's but I am mostly drawn to the Elsa Peretti designs, they are simple, organic shapes that do not scream Tiffany's (but have the same great quality). I have three different sizes of the bean necklace, it is the main necklace I have worn for over 8 yrs. Mostly all of my jewelry is Tiffany's, but mostly all understated pieces (hardball and Peretti designs). Only own one set of the Return to Tiffany's since I am not a fan of logos on jewelry pieces. I still view it as luxury brand.
Their silks are also very nice, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and vivid colors, even after having them dry cleaned.
I also give Tiffany's crystal as engagement/wedding/house warming gifts to my very close family members and friends. My sister regularly uses her Tiffany's vase for fresh cut flowers weekly and is asked often were she got the vase from.

Will chime in... I still love Tiffany's but I am mostly drawn to the Elsa Peretti designs, they are simple, organic shapes that do not scream Tiffany's (but have the same great quality). I have three different sizes of the bean necklace, it is the main necklace I have worn for over 8 yrs. Mostly all of my jewelry is Tiffany's, but mostly all understated pieces (hardball and Peretti designs). Only own one set of the Return to Tiffany's since I am not a fan of logos on jewelry pieces. I still view it as luxury brand.
Their silks are also very nice, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and vivid colors, even after having them dry cleaned.
I also give Tiffany's crystal as engagement/wedding/house warming gifts to my very close family members and friends. My sister regularly uses her Tiffany's vase for fresh cut flowers weekly and is asked often were she got the vase from.

I LOVE the Elsa Peretti pieces - and Paloma Picasso. I've pretty much retired all my RtT pieces and I love how understated the Peretti + Picasso pieces are.

Tiffany really hooked me with the T and Hardwear lines, and now with the new atlas pieces. They have stuff that appeals to me in a way that no other luxury jewelry brand has before. It’s easy to dismiss tiffany because of all the silver things that make it seem like a totally overpriced mall brand, but, to be honest, I like how tiffany is a bit less elegant than say Cartier or vca. Tiffany is more American in spirit, modern and always evolving, not too serious and stuffy, but still feminine, and very wearable. I don’t think it really has the same status as some other luxury jewelry houses, but it has more style and fun (at least to me).

Tiffany really hooked me with the T and Hardwear lines, and now with the new atlas pieces. They have stuff that appeals to me in a way that no other luxury jewelry brand has before. It’s easy to dismiss tiffany because of all the silver things that make it seem like a totally overpriced mall brand, but, to be honest, I like how tiffany is a bit less elegant than say Cartier or vca. Tiffany is more American in spirit, modern and always evolving, not too serious and stuffy, but still feminine, and very wearable. I don’t think it really has the same status as some other luxury jewelry houses, but it has more style and fun (at least to me).
I agreed with you so much.

I am going to rant here.

First of all, I think it is snobby to think a brand that appeal to the general population as less luxury. I think that mentality run deep in this forum. Louis Vuitton or Hermes have low price pieces for everyone and they are being put on pedestal in the forum.

I live in an avg size city and I see so many fake Love. I am starting to see the fake or inspired JUC and VCA, too. That really tell me how mass market these brands starting to became.

I like Tiffany for the after service and the range of selections that they have. I am currently into their fine jewelries and love the pieces that I have so far.

I am going to rant here.

First of all, I think it is snobby to think a brand that appeal to the general population as less luxury. I think that mentality run deep in this forum. Louis Vuitton or Hermes have low price pieces for everyone and they are being put on pedestal in the forum.

I live in an avg size city and I see so many fake Love. I am starting to see the fake or inspired JUC and VCA, too. That really tell me how mass market these brands starting to became.

I like Tiffany for the after service and the range of selections that they have. I am currently into their fine jewelries and love the pieces that I have so far.

I believe all of us (myself included!) on these forums are snobs for wanting to buy/use expensive goods which go beyond the purpose of basic function/need. E.g., why do I need an LV handbag when one from Uniqlo will perform the same function of carrying stuff?

Re Tiffany, I have a vintage/discontinued yellow gold with diamond Elsa Peretti open heart necklace from more than 20 years ago. I never bought their silver, but I would still consider buying their gold pieces if the right design came up.

Re VCA, I have one yellow gold necklace (no stones) I got recently, but there have been no other designs I like because I don't like their ridiculous prices for low-cost semi-precious stones, and would feel genuinely ripped off if I paid for it! Also, most of their designs are too girly/frivolous to suit my personal style.

Re Cartier, I have a couple of vintage/discontinued gold rings, but I am yet to see any necklaces/pendants which appeal to me. Again, many of their designs are just too dainty/feminine for my style.

I am going to rant here.

I’m not understanding some of this mentality that Tiffany is somehow lower in status than cartier or van cleef. I don’t think these folks have actually looked at the fine jewelry or high jewelry. Back in the nineties Tiffany was known for their silver lines and even today but those lines are not representative of the brand as a whole.

In comparison to other brands, I’ve been a bit turned off by cartier and really vca because it seems everyone in social media is obsessing over their Vintage or juc or love lines. I tend to like things that are unique and not owned by every influencer in the social media universe.

I love many of the Tiffany designs and the quality of the diamonds is of course outstanding. I like that you often get more diamonds for what you pay for compared to some of the other jewelry brands. Although with lvmh having taken over the brand the prices are going up and up. I think with lvmh my only concern is Tiffany will become too popular someday soon.

One of the best things about Tiffany is their client services. My sa is amazing and often invites me to the high jewelry functions and sends me gifts. And I’ve only purchased one item from him. How many other sas do that? I’ve bought from cartier several times and I’ve never been offered anything.

Some of my favorite and most beloved items are from Tiffany, but I do think they have lost their luster compared to when they were seen as THE luxury jeweler in the US. It's partly their "fault" - they got too good at making profitable, trendy, "affordable" (aka profitable) silver pieces and over time I believe those have become more evocative of the Tiffany brand. The only times I've ever known someone to buy their more high end gold pieces, not including DBTY, are the engagement rings as that still has some of that luster.

I think they realized they can't survive by relying on trendy silver anymore as players like David Yurman have eaten up more and more market share so they are trying to go up market again with all these new trendy yet still expensive lines like the T1. Trendy is not a bad word to me btw - I think they needed a bit of that as they didn't really have a lot of high end "signature" items that scream luxury brand in the way Cartier Love, VCA Alhambra, even DY pieces do. At the end of the day there's a huge market for recognizable logos, emblems, designs, etc when you're talking about high end items.

Last edited:
I love Tiffany because the selection is always changing. It feels like they release new things practically every month. Every time I go to the store, I find new things. There’s sooo much variety, and there are things you can buy at any price point. Plus, Tiffany has so many gemstones, such as yellow diamonds, tanzanite, morganite, blue topaz, etc. that Cartier and VCA just don’t ever seem to offer in their designs. They have things that range from super dainty to very bold. Also, Tiffany is pretty ubiquitous, so there are tons of places where you can get your pieces serviced all around the world.

Cartier is definitely my least favorite luxury jeweler. Cartier doesn’t release new designs very often. Over the course of several years, I feel like I’m always seeing the same merchandise. It also seems like everybody who has a bit of money buys the Cartier love bracelet nowadays. Also, I’m not a huge fan of their industrial aesthetic, tbh. Everything is pretty minimalistic to me, but in the uninspired way. Of course, I like some of their pieces, but I don’t love them enough to choose Cartier over another brand. Like, maybe if Cartier released a yellow gold love bangle with yellow diamonds, then my interest would be piqued. But overall, it seems like Cartier doesn’t really push the envelope enough for me.

Van Cleef is probably tied as my favorite jeweler with Tiffany. (Or maybe ranked just a teensy tiny bit higher than Tiffany.) I love the details in their designs. I loveee the nature inspiration and the abundance of flora and fauna in their designs. I just love their romantic and fantastic aesthetic. The fairy and ballerina brooches. The painted watches with gorgeous landscapes. I really appreciate the gorgeous details in all their pieces.

I also like Bulgari. Similar to VCA, I love the nature themes. I find that the nature inspiration looks more contemporary at Bulgari versus VCA. I would like to buy some Bulgari pieces one day, but I have to visit a store first! Also, I think overall I like VCA designs a bit more.

I think Tiffany is doing well, especially in other parts of the world, like in Asia. It’s had continuous price increases, unlike Cartier and VCA which actually had a price reduction under Richemont. Now that LVMH has acquired Tiffany, I expect that the brand will gain even more recognition.

Of course for me, buying jewelry is more about loving the individual piece than it is about the brand. If someone gave me a VCA socrate ring, my heart wouldn’t sing as much as if I had a Bulgari serpenti bracelet. Of course, I’m not saying I’d reject the gift or be disappointed, I’m just saying that in the end branding isn’t as important to me as design.

Hi! Chiming in as a millennial who was obsessed with Tiffany's throughout my youth. I was gifted the return to Tiffany bracelet for my 13th birthday, and ended up having a sizable silver collection. With the exception of that bracelet, two necklaces, and maybe 4 silver rings that I do still love and wear, I've sold everything. I recently popped into Tiffany's while waiting to get into Cartier (there are waits at many stores at my mall because of Covid). I had seen the new Atlas X Collection and figured I would take a look. I had planned on my first Cartier piece for my 30th birthday however I had an amazing SA at Tiffany's who showed me so many goodies that I loved! I ended up getting the Atlas X closed narrow ring and interlocking necklace for birthday gifts. I am new to Tiffany gold but it is absolutely stunning. I think they are looking to bring the millennial customer back... my SA was amazing, and gifted me a ring/trinket dish during the purchase and even sent me a cake (filled with Tiffany blue sprinkles) for my birthday! It is that type of customer service that is unparalleled for me... and honestly will get me to return and buy Tiffany over other brands. I do think the allure to the brand has gone down but I think they can make a "comeback" because the styles are unique/different. Most notable to me are the hardware collection, Atlas X and the T1. However... I just looked at 2 T1 rings I am considering and think the prices went up $90 (solid gold) and $100 for the one with diamonds! :sad:

Hi! Chiming in as a millennial who was obsessed with Tiffany's throughout my youth. I was gifted the return to Tiffany bracelet for my 13th birthday, and ended up having a sizable silver collection. With the exception of that bracelet, two necklaces, and maybe 4 silver rings that I do still love and wear, I've sold everything. I recently popped into Tiffany's while waiting to get into Cartier (there are waits at many stores at my mall because of Covid). I had seen the new Atlas X Collection and figured I would take a look. I had planned on my first Cartier piece for my 30th birthday however I had an amazing SA at Tiffany's who showed me so many goodies that I loved! I ended up getting the Atlas X closed narrow ring and interlocking necklace for birthday gifts. I am new to Tiffany gold but it is absolutely stunning. I think they are looking to bring the millennial customer back... my SA was amazing, and gifted me a ring/trinket dish during the purchase and even sent me a cake (filled with Tiffany blue sprinkles) for my birthday! It is that type of customer service that is unparalleled for me... and honestly will get me to return and buy Tiffany over other brands. I do think the allure to the brand has gone down but I think they can make a "comeback" because the styles are unique/different. Most notable to me are the hardware collection, Atlas X and the T1. However... I just looked at 2 T1 rings I am considering and think the prices went up $90 (solid gold) and $100 for the one with diamonds! :sad:
I ended up going with the retired Tiffany diamond heart knot gold pendant for my 30th and im absolutely obsessed with it!

Tiffany gold with diamonds is timeless.