How does this work?

sparksfly

O.G.
Feb 3, 2012
If I win an eBay auction and find after authentication it's fake.

I've been on the hunt for a pre-owned Louis Vuitton bag and I've found the most inexpensive bags are the ones that are ending soonest with no time for authenticating.

Try setting your search parameters to newly listed. That should give you plenty of time
There is a glut of cheap used LV--------------something is always bound to come along

Try setting your search parameters to newly listed. That should give you plenty of time
There is a glut of cheap used LV--------------something is always bound to come along

Thanks!

I find that the newest ones can end up being so expensive towards the end of the auction. With the ending soonest I can pick ones that are inexpensive.

I see girls on the authenticate threads all the time saying they won but haven't paid. Wasn't sure if you could refuse to pay if it's counterfeit or not.

Thanks!

I find that the newest ones can end up being so expensive towards the end of the auction. With the ending soonest I can pick ones that are inexpensive.

I see girls on the authenticate threads all the time saying they won but haven't paid. Wasn't sure if you could refuse to pay if it's counterfeit or not.

In those cases I'd just recommend sticking to sellers who are established/reputable, or have return policies. Getting a quick authentication before paying is fine, but generally I'd say it's probably not very fair to win an item and then tell the seller you're not paying without an outside authentication first, if it's going to take awhile. Especially if you're going to need to ask for more pictures for the authentication, etc.. after you've won. Which is often the case with low-priced ending items. Those listings I find are often missing information that make most buyers feel safer in bidding a lot of $.

You can of course refuse to pay though, there is nothing a seller can do to force you, except open an unpaid claim against you after a couple of days. Enough of those, and it will affect your eBay account status.

Reactions: bernz84
Thanks!

While I understand that posting on AT (authenticate this) threads risks drawing attention to listings and driving up prices, there are authenticators who won't look at completed listings. They will only do active listings as a way to encourage buyers to abide by ebay policy in asking questions, requesting additional pictures and doing their homework BEFORE bidding and buying.

Allowing a listing to end and refusing to pay unless and until an item is deemed to be authentic is a violation of ebay policy. Bids and purchases are contracts by which you're expected to abide.

Not following through can not only get you suspended (as mentioned by lshcat) but can end you up on BBL lists of sellers who share non-payers and PITA buyers.

Reactions: bernz84
Don't do what I did haha. You can read my old ebay thread. I thought I scored a good deal on a Celine bag and snatched it up before getting it authenticated. Let's just say the entire ordeal was a NIGHTMARE. Save yourself the heartache and potential loss.