How do you store your Chanel Handbags?

I'm nervous now because I store my Chanels in their boxes especially since I do not want to throw out the boxes. Is it best to just store it outside the box and in their dust bags? I always put packing in my bags to keep it to form. What do you guys do with the boxes??
Yes. I've read it's better to store them out of the boxes.

I just keep my boxes in a stack in my closet.

Yes. I've read it's better to store them out of the boxes.

I just keep my boxes in a stack in my closet.
I was told by many Chanel SAs to never store them in their boxes, but was told by craftmen at H that H bags should always go in the dustbags then laid down in their original boxes. So am confused... or maybe Hs and Chanels should be stored differently? :confused1:

Anyways, I follow what my mom does, which must work somehow since that classic flap on the left is close to 30 years old and still in good shape. So, I pull most of the chain inside, stuff with acid free papers, put the felt under the flap, wrap the chains on the outside and then let them just sit in the closet (except for the minaudiere which stays in its box).
IMG_3110.JPG

I was told by many Chanel SAs to never store them in their boxes, but was told by craftmen at H that H bags should always go in the dustbags then laid down in their original boxes. So am confused... or maybe Hs and Chanels should be stored differently? :confused1:

Anyways, I follow what my mom does, which must work somehow since that classic flap on the left is close to 30 years old and still in good shape. So, I pull most of the chain inside, stuff with acid free papers, put the felt under the flap, wrap the chains on the outside and then let them just sit in the closet (except for the minaudiere which stays in its box).
View attachment 3763802
I think this makes sense to a certain extent. Chanel bags are (almost always) quilted so laying them on their back over years could flatten the quilts. So they need to be upright.

Hermes bags aren't quilted. So there isn't that problem with laying them flat. And perhaps there is something with how they are constructed that it's better for them not to stand 100% of the time. I know I've seen saggy Berkins, Kelly's etc. Maybe this is from staying upright (???)

So perhaps standing Chanels upright is to keep from deflating puff and storing Hermes on their backs is to prevent sag.

But, given that most Hermes are leather, I'm not sure why keeping them in the box is recommended.

Hello,

I plan on buying a Chanel purse in Paris (hopefully at Rue Cambon *fingers crossed*) in the next month. It would be my first Chanel bag and luxury designer (most of my bags are Mansur Gavriel, Coach, Longchamp, MBMJ)
However, I am worried about storing my bag when I am not using it. I live in a small studio apartment with AC in a hot, humid, tropical environment. I do not turn on my AC unless I'm in my apartment (and even then I only leave it on to cool my place down for a bit), but my apartment is at a consistent 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit without AC. I do not plan to use the Chanel bag everyday since it wouldn't be appropriate for work. I really would hate to buy a Chanel bag and not be able to store it properly and it gets ruined by the hot and humid weather. Should I be concerned and would anybody have tips?

Hello,

I plan on buying a Chanel purse in Paris (hopefully at Rue Cambon *fingers crossed*) in the next month. It would be my first Chanel bag and luxury designer (most of my bags are Mansur Gavriel, Coach, Longchamp, MBMJ)
However, I am worried about storing my bag when I am not using it. I live in a small studio apartment with AC in a hot, humid, tropical environment. I do not turn on my AC unless I'm in my apartment (and even then I only leave it on to cool my place down for a bit), but my apartment is at a consistent 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit without AC. I do not plan to use the Chanel bag everyday since it wouldn't be appropriate for work. I really would hate to buy a Chanel bag and not be able to store it properly and it gets ruined by the hot and humid weather. Should I be concerned and would anybody have tips?

I live in a damp apartment. It's not hot though, more like cold and damp. I had a few bags and suede shoes go mouldy on me a year ago. So I bought a dehumidifier which helped. I also bought some portable damp trappers. They're not expensive, and you just open the top layer and leave them there, so there's not even any running costs. I put one in my wardrobe. It was full after two months, so you have to change it out often. But it was good to see how much water it was collecting that would otherwise have gone onto my clothes and bags.

DampTrapper.jpg

I'd also advice you checking your bags regularly and not keeping them in any plastic bags or thick boxes.

Reactions: JolieS
Hello, I plan on buying a Chanel purse in Paris (hopefully at Rue Cambon *fingers crossed*) in the next month. It would be my first Chanel bag and luxury designer (most of my bags are Mansur Gavriel, Coach, Longchamp, MBMJ)

The main thing with leather bags is to let the leather breathe. Do not store them in plastic bags or double bag them because the leather will detoriorate. Always store them in their dust bags in an upright position inside a cool, dry closet. Also, I let mine out of their dust bags every few weeks or so just to air them out.

Reactions: JolieS
Humidity is very hard on leather and metal. In addition to the excellent suggestions here, consider leaving the light on in your closet to help counteract damp. Even if you implement these steps, IMO you'll have to resign yourself to the fact that the handbag will not last as long as if you lived in a temperate climate. For a Chanel bag, I'd be particularly vigilant about tarnish on the hardware and chain strap.
Have a wonderful trip, and good luck with your shopping!

I live in a damp apartment. It's not hot though, more like cold and damp. I had a few bags and suede shoes go mouldy on me a year ago. So I bought a dehumidifier which helped. I also bought some portable damp trappers. They're not expensive, and you just open the top layer and leave them there, so there's not even any running costs. I put one in my wardrobe. It was full after two months, so you have to change it out often. But it was good to see how much water it was collecting that would otherwise have gone onto my clothes and bags.

View attachment 3805376

I'd also advice you checking your bags regularly and not keeping them in any plastic bags or thick boxes.

My bags so far have not gotten moldy (primarily leather), but I'm worried if I decide on lambskin if this would be an issue. I keep most of them in the dust bag or canvas bags for storage

Google "electrical dry box/cabinet"..
I used to live in a super humid and hot country too. I used it to store Chanel/camera lens/jewelry..etc. Works perfectly!!
It doesn't consume lots of power but will keep your bags in perfect condition!!

Google "electrical dry box/cabinet"..
I used to live in a super humid and hot country too. I used it to store Chanel/camera lens/jewelry..etc. Works perfectly!!
It doesn't consume lots of power but will keep your bags in perfect condition!!

This is my first time I'm hearing about this. Photography is also a huge hobby of mine and I do have a DSLR and lots of lenses. I may look into this a bit more. My former apartment was really humid and wet, one of my Kipling bags started to discolor from the lack of light and the humidity (it rained almost daily where I used to live). Now my apartment is not as humid, but still humid compared to normal

We moved to Thailand a couple of years ago and I've been storing my bags the same way as I did in London with no issues so far. The only difference is now I have a dehumidifier (similar to the one suggested above) in my closet per my SA's recommendation. Note that I don't put my bags in their dust bags, though. They just sit in a neat row in the closet. Also, I do air out the closet once in a while and try to make sure I actually use every bag on a regular basis and don't let them just live in the closet for a long stretch. Have fun in Paris! :smile:

Reactions: am1ly and Bisoux78