How do you store your Chanel Handbags?

I store all my bags in wooden wine crates. It's just a cute way to reuse the very nice wine boxes that my BF gets from his work since they usually end up being tossed once the wine is sold.

I line the inside of the boxes with some linen napkins/cloth to prevent scratches and then store my bags in their dust bags standing up inside the lines crates. The bags are stuffed but not too stuffed and the hardware is wrapped up and placed away inside the bag.

Also, I keep all my bags unlocked/opened when I store it to prevent any dents from the closure onto the leather. I didn't do that with my mini when I first bought it before I knew, and now it's slightly indented but that would happen with normal use anyway... I just like to slow the process.

If I showed you my woc I've had for almost two years, there are no dents where the zipper pull is on the flap. It looks brand new because I store it open

I store all my bags in wooden wine crates. It's just a cute way to reuse the very nice wine boxes that my BF gets from his work since they usually end up being tossed once the wine is sold.

I line the inside of the boxes with some linen napkins/cloth to prevent scratches and then store my bags in their dust bags standing up inside the lines crates. The bags are stuffed but not too stuffed and the hardware is wrapped up and placed away inside the bag.

Also, I keep all my bags unlocked/opened when I store it to prevent any dents from the closure onto the leather. I didn't do that with my mini when I first bought it before I knew, and now it's slightly indented but that would happen with normal use anyway... I just like to slow the process.

If I showed you my woc I've had for almost two years, there are no dents where the zipper pull is on the flap. It looks brand new because I store it open
I really like this idea. I want to find new ways of storing my Chanel bags, but I also am considering getting the room room temperature controlled to keep all of mine safe. We have protective lighting inside the room. Hubby had it installed last summer.

Thanks so many good ideas here - I am going to head to the container store tomorrow based on all the great results with the linen boxes.

I had no idea that storing bags in the chanel box was bad either and now I know!

I stuff my flap bags with old cotton t shirts rolled up in shapes of the bag internal shape, stand up in closet and leave it in the dust bag, leave the chain in the other side of the dust bag(you know how does the white dust bag come with two pocket sections, one side is bigger than another) the chain will never touch the leather of the bag. It's easy, quick and efficient.

What do you use to stuff them with?

Sent from my SM-G930V using PurseForum mobile app

not sure if this helps but I stuff them with either the tissue paper (like the ones they come with) or sometimes (especially for lambskin) clean white/light colored old t-shirt or pillow case folded up. HTH!

not sure if this helps but I stuff them with either the tissue paper (like the ones they come with) or sometimes (especially for lambskin) clean white/light colored old t-shirt or pillow case folded up. HTH!
Thanks. Will try this. May do shirts as worry tissue paper may scratch

Sent from my SM-G930V using PurseForum mobile app

I've been using the IKEA shoe boxes and the Container Store shirt box (used both types of boxes for my different bags) for over a year now, and I just went to IKEA to get 40 additional ones to fully replace the Container Store shirt boxes I have.

A few things about the Container Store's shirt box that I personally found annoying/not ideal for storing leather bags after testing it out:
  • A bit too big, even for jumbo so takes up too much wasted "extra space" in the back and side of the box - which means I have to dig/reach in far to get my bags out and it takes up a lot of space on my shelves - space I can use to store other bags :P
  • Very heavy to lift in/out of (I store my bags on the higher/top shelves mostly)
  • Most importantly, the door for the box does not allow the bag to "breath" because it's a sealed plastic window - this is the true concern as I want to ensure the leather can breath so the bag does not dry out/quilts won't flatten out - I was afraid that this heavy box with the window/door closed would be more suffocating than the original Chanel box that the bag came in with, which defeats the purpose of proper storage... I had to keep the door open for these boxes the whole time I had them and I'm just tired of it.
I change my bags EVERYDAY and often MANY times a day so this is a HUGE deal to me, and I have extremely low tolerance for inefficiency :P I'm no fun when I'm grumpy :graucho:

I included picture of my silver jumbo inside the IKEA storage box with plenty space left (I store my chain in the dust bag pocket and flip it to the back of the bag when storing). I also included the website link for reference in case you guys want to check out the dimensions and views.

The IKEA shoe boxes are IMO PERFECTION for the following reasons:
  • They protect your bags with plenty of structure (much more than necessary) but not "rigid" and still lightweight
  • The window/door is made of mesh so it BREATHS and allows you to see through to easily tell which bag is inside (they come in many colors but white/light colors are easier to see the interior and peek at which bag they stored)
  • The size dimension is PERFECT for ALL my Chanel bags (my largest ones are jumbos); 2 mini's can coexist harmoniously
    • Plenty sufficient space for even jumbos with just enough left over all around the bag (not crowded/touching at all - you see it close to the edge of the box in the photo because the dust bag is not "tight/flushed" against the bag) - no waste of space on my shelves (yay more bags!). it's really annoying when I had to "reach deep/far into the box" to take your bag out if the box is too tall/deep/big with extra unusable space that served no purpose
  • The door open/close by a strong Velcro strip which is easy to get in/out of, especially compared to the little loop that I had to use for the container store container door
  • The door also has a white "pull strap" to make it easier for you to pull the box out of/up or down from the spot/shelves or just to carry it around (don't worry the Velcro will hold)
  • The back (opposite side of the door/window) has a diagonal zipper - While unzipped the box can fold flat for storage when not in use.
  • They are just under $8 for 4 of them - which is just crazy
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40300285/

Yes, I store my Chanel bags in $2 IKEA shoe storage containers... I'm in the process of figuring out how to get some Chanel hardware attached to the pull straps on these boxes and decorate them :lol:

If you are an IKEA executive tracing the unusual spike in sales activity back to this post, please feel free to reach out to me for more product improvement collaboration ideas, and do not hesitate to send me more of these wonderful storage boxes as I am powerless against new Chanel bags:lolots:

Attachments

• IKEA box jumbo1.jpg
    IKEA box jumbo1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,443
  • IKEA box jumbo2.jpg
    IKEA box jumbo2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,438
I've been using the IKEA shoe boxes and the Container Store shirt box (used both types of boxes for my different bags) for over a year now, and I just went to IKEA to get 40 additional ones to fully replace the Container Store shirt boxes I have.

A few things about the Container Store's shirt box that I personally found annoying/not ideal for storing leather bags after testing it out:
  • A bit too big, even for jumbo so takes up too much wasted "extra space" in the back and side of the box - which means I have to dig/reach in far to get my bags out and it takes up a lot of space on my shelves - space I can use to store other bags :P
  • Very heavy to lift in/out of (I store my bags on the higher/top shelves mostly)
  • Most importantly, the door for the box does not allow the bag to "breath" because it's a sealed plastic window - this is the true concern as I want to ensure the leather can breath so the bag does not dry out/quilts won't flatten out - I was afraid that this heavy box with the window/door closed would be more suffocating than the original Chanel box that the bag came in with, which defeats the purpose of proper storage... I had to keep the door open for these boxes the whole time I had them and I'm just tired of it.
I change my bags EVERYDAY and often MANY times a day so this is a HUGE deal to me, and I have extremely low tolerance for inefficiency :P I'm no fun when I'm grumpy :graucho:

I included picture of my silver jumbo inside the IKEA storage box with plenty space left (I store my chain in the dust bag pocket and flip it to the back of the bag when storing). I also included the website link for reference in case you guys want to check out the dimensions and views.

• They protect your bags with plenty of structure (much more than necessary) but not "rigid" and still lightweight
  • The window/door is made of mesh so it BREATHS and allows you to see through to easily tell which bag is inside (they come in many colors but white/light colors are easier to see the interior and peek at which bag they stored)
  • The size dimension is PERFECT for ALL my Chanel bags (my largest ones are jumbos); 2 mini's can coexist harmoniously
    • Plenty sufficient space for even jumbos with just enough left over all around the bag (not crowded/touching at all - you see it close to the edge of the box in the photo because the dust bag is not "tight/flushed" against the bag) - no waste of space on my shelves (yay more bags!). it's really annoying when I had to "reach deep/far into the box" to take your bag out if the box is too tall/deep/big with extra unusable space that served no purpose
  • The door open/close by a strong Velcro strip which is easy to get in/out of, especially compared to the little loop that I had to use for the container store container door
  • The door also has a white "pull strap" to make it easier for you to pull the box out of/up or down from the spot/shelves or just to carry it around (don't worry the Velcro will hold)
  • The back (opposite side of the door/window) has a diagonal zipper - While unzipped the box can fold flat for storage when not in use.

Yes, I store my Chanel bags in $2 IKEA shoe storage containers... I'm in the process of figuring out how to get some Chanel hardware attached to the pull straps on these boxes and decorate them :lol:

If you are an IKEA executive tracing the unusual spike in sales activity back to this post, please feel free to reach out to me for more product improvement collaboration ideas, and do not hesitate to send me more of these wonderful storage boxes as I am powerless against new Chanel bags:lolots:

Your analysis and explanation is fantastic! I am totally sold on these and will be picking up some for my collection soon ;) Thank you!

Vanana, thank you for your very detailed explanation. I have had the container store boxes for about 4 months now and I'm still bothered by the smell (maybe glue?). I like that I can see my lovely bags and I do love the display window effect. I open the boxes at night to ventilate but I'm worried about the dust. Also, with the weather getting warmer, I'm concerned that those boxes will suffocate my bags.

I actually have the ikea shoe boxes but never thought of using them for my Chanel bags. Thanks for the suggestion! Can you stack them though with bags inside since they're not that rigid? I stack them but with shoes inside so I'm not that worried about sagging/squishing effects lol. My Chanel bags are much more precious haha

Last edited:
Vanana, thank you for your very detailed explanation. I have had the container store boxes for about 4 months now and I'm still bothered by the smell (maybe glue?). I like that I can see my lovely bags and I do love the display window effect. I open the boxes at night to ventilate but I'm worried about the dust. Also, with the weather getting warmer, I'm concerned that those boxes will suffocate my bags.

I actually have the ikea shoe boxes but never thought of using them for my Chanel bags. Thanks for the suggestion! Can you stack them though with bags inside since they're not that rigid? I stack them but with shoes inside so I'm not that worried about sagging/squishing effects lol. My Chanel bags are much more precious haha

Right?! I worry about the unintended suffocation as well, sort of end up defeating the purpose, though I must admit if not for the Ikea boxes, the container stores are the best options available that I've come across..

I do stack them but I am careful to stack the lighter bags on top. for example, I have my jumbos and M/L's on the bottom, then I stack the mini's (2 in each Ikea box) on top layer. they hold up fine with the structure of the box and the weight involved - no problem this way. I would envision that if you put jumbo on top and mini's on the bottom, that may not be ideal though...

I think the material of the box holds up its shape well with common sense use! :tup:

Hello, I know I have seen a thread like this before but I cant find it. I want to know how people here store their chanel flaps. I know its better not to store in box and stuffed, but how much stuffing ... On the corner on one side of my medium flap, the leather/ quilt seems to be softening or deflating and Im wondering if its because I keep it standing and stuffed. Also do you pull the chains in or leave them out on the caviar flap? Im worried Im not storing them right!

Please direct me if there already is a thread, if not please advice.

Thank u!

Hi, I will like to know if anyone of us have difficulty storing your chanel bags?

I have this phobia of the boy thick chain collapsing on the top of the bag while in storage which will somehow flatten the top of the bag?