How do you protect your Kelly in the rain?

LeeClee

Jan 15, 2009
Will a Longchamp Nylon Tote really protect my 35cm Kelly in the rain? Is it truly water resistant? I dont have an Hermes bag raincoat. What do you use to protect your bag in case of a sudden rainstorm? I'm not sure that my Kelly will fit in the le pliage large-- it only measures 13" wide, but my Kelly is about 14" wide.

Hi LeeClee, pardon my ignorance, Does your kelly not come with raincoat?

When i purchased my kelly 50, i was told it's too big for a raincoat and that it needed a "trench-coat". We all had a good laugh! :P:lol::lol:

Will a Longchamp Nylon Tote really protect my 35cm Kelly in the rain? Is it truly water resistant? I dont have an Hermes bag raincoat. What do you use to protect your bag in case of a sudden rainstorm? I'm not sure that my Kelly will fit in the le pliage large-- it only measures 13" wide, but my Kelly is about 14" wide.

Depending on the leather, I don't use any protector.
Mine is ardenne, pretty much weather proof!
I just wipe it down when I arrive indoors.

LeeClee, what leather is your kelly !?!

I was in a department store and just as I was leaving a down pour so I asked a sales person if I could have a plastic garment bag and used that to cover my 40 birkin worked great for this emergency

I just bought a Kelly in box leather and I'm going to do my best never to use her when there is a possibility of rain. (wish me luck, it rains a lot here and we have rain showers that pop up quickly) My birkin is Togo, so I try to protect it, but I'm not really worried about that leather, you can just wipe it off quickly.

Depending on the leather, I don't use any protector.
Mine is ardenne, pretty much weather proof!
I just wipe it down when I arrive indoors.

LeeClee, what leather is your kelly !?!

My Kelly is box calf leather and it is a sellier so it is quite sturdy. Do you think a little rain would be bad for that leather. I dont plan on standing out in a rainstorm lol. But just in case I get stuck.

I have a 28 bbk and I keep a small nylon bag folded inside the bag at all times. It's nothing special but it serves it's purpose which is to keep the bag dry & folds up quite nicely like a compact wallet. Also, it's great as a reusable shopping bag. Box and water should be avoided or water blisters will develop.

ETA: My niece made the bag as part of her Home Economics sewing project.

Last edited:
Just my luck, I was in the city yesterday and all day long it was gorgeous, my fiance and I go for dinner and it poured while we were inside! By the grace of God I wasnt outside with my Kelly for the downpour. How ironic is that? I'm going to have to get a nylon bag to keep with her just incase my luck runs out!

OH .. a little drizzle is ok .. but MUST wipe right away or it may blister per Claude.
Check out the leather care threads .. pleathera of knowledge!

BTW, just a pic you posted .. LOVELY!

My Kelly is box calf leather and it is a sellier so it is quite sturdy. Do you think a little rain would be bad for that leather. I dont plan on standing out in a rainstorm lol. But just in case I get stuck.