How do you organize and store your receipts?

evaporated

O.G.
Apr 24, 2008
My husband and I are hardcore Gucci and LV fans (among other a few other brands), and we have probably 50 different receipts from the past couple of years that are just tossed in a box (in case I ever want to Poshmark anything). However, when I was cleaning up the box today, I realized that I cannot even determine what each receipt is for, and that I'm going to have to do some research on when and where we purchased something to try and piece together which receipt is for which item. This got me thinking on how I could better organize this. LV is good about putting descriptions in the receipts, but Gucci is always a vague description like "womens shoes" or "eyewear" along with the item number. Now that I have a really sizeable collection, I may be screwed on these old receipts, but going forward, what is a good way to organize these?

Thanks for any tips!

I relly don't have the best system but I just store them all in an old designer shoe box and even though it's a bit messy they all are there and because it's easy to just throw the receipt in there (and not as time consuming as filing it properly) I always do it and never loose one

• Love
Reactions: papertiger
I make a copy of the receipt. On the back of the copy I write what the receipt was for(i.e "gucci soho disco bag"). I then put the copy in an folder that I have for all my luxury receipts. Folder is stored away. Original receipt goes into an envelope and is stored in the box of the item.

Lastly, I also have a spreadsheet where I document the purchase and the info on the receipt.

I just really enjoy being organized.

I keep a Google doc with all items, descriptions, date purchased and price. (Also fun to look back over the years and see what you paid then vs. the current price.) Receipts/paperwork all go into a binder in protective sleeves. I’m not very organized with how I store them in the binder but it’s a good way to protect them overall.

You're all so organised and savy, mine are 'everywhere'.

I don't sell my bags so I guess it doesn't matter so much, sometimes I'm tempted to just throw them away.

My husband and I are hardcore Gucci and LV fans (among other a few other brands), and we have probably 50 different receipts from the past couple of years that are just tossed in a box (in case I ever want to Poshmark anything). However, when I was cleaning up the box today, I realized that I cannot even determine what each receipt is for, and that I'm going to have to do some research on when and where we purchased something to try and piece together which receipt is for which item. This got me thinking on how I could better organize this. LV is good about putting descriptions in the receipts, but Gucci is always a vague description like "womens shoes" or "eyewear" along with the item number. Now that I have a really sizeable collection, I may be screwed on these old receipts, but going forward, what is a good way to organize these?

Thanks for any tips!

If you've got the code and you Goggle it 'Gucci 123456 XXXXX 1234' whatever it may come up, especially sunglasses.

I can tell from the covers of my receipts roughly the dates I bought the things. I can tell from the price point whether it was a bag or sunglasses or fine jewellery and I can tell by the code (there's a thread on codes) For instance the colour traditional black will have the last 4 digits 1000 sot he code would be 123456 XXXXX 1000 and so you'd know it was something black (BTH 1947 SO black is 1060 because there's already a reg. black).

I'm old school. I use manila folders and file boxes. :P

I have a file box for the current year (this includes, bills, insurances, my dog's vet fees lol etc).
There are manila folders labeled "luxury purchases". All the receipts are put into plastic bags and labeled with the brand's name.
If I buy enough from one brand, there will be a manila folder for just that brand, but the receipts are still in plastic bags since they're usually in small envelopes.

Every year when I do my taxes, I go through all my folders and files and take out the previous year's items, and put them in a long term file storage box.
Then it makes room for the current year and the cycle starts all over again. :biggrin:

Though, tbh, the organization of year isn't perfect, because sometimes there is overlap with the end of one year and the beginning of another, but that's good enough for me lol.

I usually remember what my purchases are just by looking at the receipt. It's not that I have an amazing photographic memory or anything, it's probably from all those years of school/studying :P.

We were robbed recently and after trying to find all the info and receipts for insurance we keep it organized now.

For significant purchases, we keep the original receipts, and make a copy since they fade, in a file folder in our home office.
If the receipt is vague I'll note what was purchased in the corner (ex: green mini Reissue)
All other receipts I keep in a shoe box until return period expires. I do like that most receipts are electronic as I have a "receipts" folder in my email and it's SO easy to find them when I make returns/exchanges. Anytime they email a receipt I throw the paper one away so I have less to keep organized.

If you've got the code and you Goggle it 'Gucci 123456 XXXXX 1234' whatever it may come up, especially sunglasses.

I can tell from the covers of my receipts roughly the dates I bought the things. I can tell from the price point whether it was a bag or sunglasses or fine jewellery and I can tell by the code (there's a thread on codes) For instance the colour traditional black will have the last 4 digits 1000 sot he code would be 123456 XXXXX 1000 and so you'd know it was something black (BTH 1947 SO black is 1060 because there's already a reg. black).
This is so helpful! I'll see if I can look up some of these.

We've literally made a hundred purchases over the last three years, so I would have a hard time aligning item to receipt based on timeline of memory. My husband has everything from a giant shoe (and sock) collection to sweatshirts and wallets and duffles and backpacks. I can't keep him out of that store. I love their shoes and handbags, but I have wallets and a giant belt collection, and scarves.... It's bad. There's just no way to what was purchased when. I wish I had kept track of it all before throwing the receipts in a shoe box...

I take a photo of the receipt (Hermes receipts fade horribly) and the item. I put them in electronic folders. This is handy for insurance purposes as well -- my jewelry rider requires this. If prices of expensive items like Cartier, Bvlgari etc increase, I take a screenshot off the website and update it with my insurance company as the rider calls for replacement value. Obviously I don't have all my jewelry on a rider because it costs too much. Only my most expensive things (and I will cross off items if I buy newer more expensive things). I keep the original receipts in ziplock bags.