How do you handle this situation with foreign buyers...

CynDZ

O.G.
Aug 18, 2007
I have a buyer that doesn't want to pay customs, ect. and wants me to put the value of the bag at $90 when it's over $500. Of course I know that if something happens or if she says she didn't get the bag Paypal will give her her money back! Can you just get a signature at delivery for protection and then am I covered if something happens or should I just insist on insuring? She has no feedback and went on about how if anything happened she wouldn't hold me responsible ect. but I certainly can't afford to be screwed out of $500!

Its illegal to lie on customs forms.

Tell them to be protected you must insure and declare for full value AND have a signature confirmation. IF anything goes wrong YOU will be the one out money if you do it her way.

Here is a link for you.
http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/canada-gift-660006.html

It is not worth for a seller to underdeclare the value at all. Actually it might cause unwelcome situations for you. If you are not open for international buyers, I recommend you to set up "Buyer Requirements" on your account. shinymagpie posted a brilliant tips for ebay seller.
http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-for...roof-yourself-unpaid-items-update-524708.html

If your buyer doesn't agree with the full value on the custom form, please cancel the transaction. It saves you a lot of headaches!

I second the advice to cancel. I am literally dealing with a case now that would never have arisen if the buyer had not received a customs bill. It is incredibly frustrating. I had another buyer who was specifically trying to avoid customs and by accident, it got posted without tracking. I can count the number of times I posted without tracking on one hand over 4 years. That buyer is now claiming item not received. Save yourself the hassle - only deal with people who read, look at photos and do not make demands for special deals on postage.
If something goes wrong, you are liable as the seller.

Here is another reason. I had a student who did just what was requested. I am told that customs knew the value was much more than the value stated and eBay is one of the key selling sites they check to see if an item fitting that description was sold recently.

They found the transaction, supposedly asked eBay to look into it and my student lost their ability to sell on eBay for at least a year. The customer was charged customs and put on a list (or so they were told) that would be cross referenced when/if they found another violation.

eBay's enforcement and policing is not consistent, so one can never be sure what will happen in a case like this. I have heard of some losing their ability to sell internationally, some to sell to that particular country, etc. eBay recommends stating in your listing if you will not pay customs. I also place the statement that I can not devalue the item on customs forms. (in a friendly way, of course):biggrin:

She did not know what penalty was being threatened but is was all conceivable. Customs may not always get so detailed and anal, but apparently they did this time.

Hi again, I may have made it tough to understand my meaning above and requested a change but did not do it soon enough so it may not be adjusted.

If I have confused you, first my apologies and secondly, ask for more clarification. I am a big boy, I can take it. I have subscribed to the thread wit instant notification, so unless I am doing business, I will respond as quickly as possible. :peace:

I would cancel the transaction and set your selling preferences to exclude foreign sales.

Years ago when the eBay climate was much different I sold all over the world, but not anymore. It's not worth the hassle.

On an average, we have about 40% of our sales to international buyers. This past week proved to be just the opposite. 60% of our sales went overseas. We had sales to the UK, Germany, Russia, Israel, Australia, Canada (not overseas, but...) and Saudi Arabia.

We would hate to give up our international buyers. Germany wanted a sale over $100 declared at under $9, but when we gently said that we would not do that, they said OK. I don't blame them for asking and they did not seem to blame us for saying no.

All correspondence went through eBay, so we have documented proof if it turned bad.