How do you feel about Burberry's NAVY trenches?

NAVY Trench? Yay or Nay?

• YES, Keep it!

• NO, return it, let this one go.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've been eying Burberry trenches for years and finally decided to splurge on one for my birthday. Trouble is, as much as I love their iconic "heritage" styles, I was hoping to get one that is just a little bit different, a little less "plain" but still classic and versatile enough to wear in a variety of work & social settings. Right now, I am drawn to their trenches that have the extra leather detail, such as this one with the double leather cuff straps. I was hoping to get it in black but it seems like they tend to offer that particular style in every colour but black[/l] (okay, not entirely true, there is one like that in black but it's the "long" version for tall people and since I'm only 5'2", it'll be too long on me, and one can only shorten the length so much; but more importantly, it's completely sold out in my size...)

Anyway, I ordered it in NAVY and it arrived today. Fits perfect and the length is perfect. But I'm torn. I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD KEEP IT.

On one hand, considering that most of my wardrobe is rather monochromatic (blacks, whites, grays, blues), that I generally wear black trousers & shoes, my everyday bag is black, I'm wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to wear a coat that is navy? While I think perhaps a "brighter/lighter navy" would be a good contrast to all the black that I usually wear, this particular trench is a very dark navy, and could be mistaken for black from a distance.

I remember when I was much younger how it was considered a big no-no to wear black & blue/navy together but nowadays, that "rule" has long been thrown out.

SO...WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?? Should I be confident and keep the navy trench or should I wait and get another one in black like I originally wanted? Would the dark navy work or would it be a fashion faux pas? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I've even created a POLL!

P.S. If some of you are thinking that I should forgo the dark coat colours altogether and opt for the original beige/tan "trench" colour, I also tried to convince myself of this too but after trying on that trench multiple times in the stores, I've finally accepted the reality that the "trench" colour just does not compliment my skintone as well (which is a light-medium). Even the sales agent told me to opt for the black (the navy wasn't available in the store at the time so I couldn't get his opinion regarding that one).

Attachments

• bnvylt.jpeg
    bnvylt.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
I adore navy with black. Very european chic. If you love it, keep it and wear it with confidence. I am sure it is fabulous and that you look absolutely fabulous with it on. Congrats!!

I bought my 1st Burberry trench last year and it is navy coloured.
Navy is a bit softer than black and still very classic.
Goes with everything, and nothing wrong with navy being worn with black.

If it suits you and you like the colour and cut- go for it.

I bought a trench in beige last Christmas and do confess, I have not worn it yet
as I am so afraid of it gettings stains.
Navy is so much easier to wear and I would always go for it again.

I think Navy is just as versatile as Black. I have a navy Burberry coat and wear it with everything. But if you don't love it, you should return it and wait until you find a black one especially at that price.