How do you deal with this?

koukanamiya

It is what it is
May 25, 2006
I need your advice on how to deal with this. I've already dealt with it in my own manner but I would like to hear all of your inputs:yes:

First of all, for the past 6 months to 1 year, i've been getting random phone calls from different people asking for "Nathan" and "Ricky" - NEITHER of whom I know. So everytime I have to tell them that they have the wrong number. And then a few months ago, someone called my cellphone and asked, "Who is this?" to which I reply, "Uhm ... who is THIS?" The person said, "No, you tell ME who you are because I see this number on the phone". Of course, I was confused because I had no idea what she was talking about as I did not recognize her number, therefore it was unlikely that I have ever even called her. Therefore, I told her that I didn't know what she was talking about and that she has just called me on my cellphone.

So a couple more months went by with a few random phone calls from people asking for "Nathan" and "Ricky" and each time I told these people that they have the wrong number. One time there was even a hospital calling my number asking for "Nathan". So anyways this morning at 6AM, someone called my number AGAIN. This person has her caller ID blocked so I have no idea what number she was dialing from. However, when I picked up, she started asking for "RICKY" again. I told her she had the wrong number and hung up. As soon as I hung up, she calls back AGAIN! She just kept calling back once every half an hour. Finally, I got very impatient (I needed my sleep) and told her, "Look, I don't know who gave you this number but there's NO Ricky here!". To my astonishment, she replied, "Why the lie, b*tch?! Why the lie?!" I just hung up on her right then and there. While I don't care for cuss words, the "B" word is the one that I found to be the most offensive.

Several hours later, I checked my phone for messages and found that there were multiple missed calls from a PRIVATE NUMBER and a voicemail. Guess what? That person left me a voicemail. She said, "Hey what's up, Tramp? I know you're with my man ... blah blah blah". I deleted the message before I even bother finish listening to it because I was so pissed off. I didn't know any Ricky, and whoever this Ricky was, he was obviously avoiding her and giving her a wrong number. It really angered me that there would be people like this woman (and Ricky) in the world. For the rest of the day, this person just kept CALLING and CALLING, and I mean she was calling every half an hour! She just wouldn't give up! Unfortunately, since she blocked her caller ID, I had no idea where she was calling from nor could I try to find out who she was. It was apparent that anmy sort of explaining er was out of the question since she refused to listen, she just wouldn't believe that I don't know any Ricky and that she had the WRONG number. Oh btw, the woman who was harrassing me today had the SAME voice as the woman who called a few months ago asking me who I was.

I've told my SO what happened and he thought it was funny and pathetic at the same time. He said that it was precisely paranoid and pushy people like her that made guys run away from her. Anyways, I considered this to be a form of harrassment. I've had this number for 2.5 years now and I LOVE my phone number, my cellphone provider cannot block number or track down who called. This incident is depressing me and pissing me off greatly. Now short of contacting the Police and changing my cellphone number, what else could I have done? How would you guys deal with this?

ETA: I've already changed my number as of this afternoon after managing to get my cellphone provider to waive the $15 fee, but I wish I had consulted you all for a good solution before proceeding with it as I now regret my decision. I missed my phone number. Now I have to tell all my SAs to change my numbers on record too.

I had something similar happen, except I kept getting calls at 2 am from some ******* who hacked one of those 'text to voice' companies (you know, for deaf people?) and kept calling and making harassing phone calls. Basically, the messages were very nasty - detailing sex between himself and his "victims" as he said and saying that I was going to be the next one. Needless to say, at 2 am you're not thinking straight - and I was terrified for at least 2 weeks that he was really going to come and get me.

I ended up going through our family's lawyer to contact the company that was hacked. Police reports were filed and an investigation was opened up because apparently I wasn't the only one who had been receiving harassing phone calls from that company.

Argh! How frustrating!! I'm sorry you're going through this.

Seriously, I would ignore her calls, message, everything. Turn your phone off when you sleep (or at least turn the ringer to silent or vibrate) so you can sleep uninterrupted:sleepy: She'll get tired of calling if she doesn't get a reaction or through to anyone. Plus she can't trace you by name or location by cell phone #.

For the other random calls for "Ricky" or "Nathan" I would just keep doing what you're doing and inform the callers they have the wrong number. It's annoying :rant: but oddly your number is connected with these people for some reason.

Good luck!! :flowers:

lamiastella said:
I had something similar happen, except I kept getting calls at 2 am from some ******* who hacked one of those 'text to voice' companies (you know, for deaf people?) and kept calling and making harassing phone calls. Basically, the messages were very nasty - detailing sex between himself and his "victims" as he said and saying that I was going to be the next one. Needless to say, at 2 am you're not thinking straight - and I was terrified for at least 2 weeks that he was really going to come and get me.

I ended up going through our family's lawyer to contact the company that was hacked. Police reports were filed and an investigation was opened up because apparently I wasn't the only one who had been receiving harassing phone calls from that company.

OMG!! That's scary!! So if I go to the lawyer, do you think they can find out who the person was that was harrassing me? I spoke with my cellphone provider and they said there was nothing they could do. They were planning on charging me $15 for a change in number.

redney said:
Argh! How frustrating!! I'm sorry you're going through this.

Seriously, I would ignore her calls, message, everything. Turn your phone off when you sleep (or at least turn the ringer to silent or vibrate) so you can sleep uninterrupted:sleepy: She'll get tired of calling if she doesn't get a reaction or through to anyone. Plus she can't trace you by name or location by cell phone #.

For the other random calls for "Ricky" or "Nathan" I would just keep doing what you're doing and inform the callers they have the wrong number. It's annoying :rant: but oddly your number is connected with these people for some reason.

Good luck!! :flowers:

The really annoying thing is that my parents (who call me several times a day) phone number also have their landline's caller ID blocked. Therefore, I never know whether it was them calling or this woman calling. I don't know if I had been too rash in changing my phone number but that was what I did later today. Now I have to track down all of my online resumes and accounts to get my numbers changed. I also have to call all of my SAs at my favorite purse boutiques to get my numbers changed:Push: . I missed my old number already, it was a VERY GOOD number!

My sister thinks that Nathan and Ricky are probably people who went out to mess around with other girls. She thinks they probably give these girls the same "random" number and that was why all these random people were calling my number. Gah, I hate people like that.

koukanamiya said:
OMG!! That's scary!! So if I go to the lawyer, do you think they can find out who the person was that was harrassing me? I spoke with my cellphone provider and they said there was nothing they could do. They were planning on charging me $15 for a change in number.

I'm not sure if a lawyer would help. I tried personally contacting the company that those calls were made through and they said that they couldn't do anything because of some sort of privacy act. Our family lawyer is a close friend of my mom, and I asked her over dinner one day if there was anything that could be done and she helped me with all of it :smile:

Personally, I would first contact the police to tell them that you've been receiving harassing phonecalls from an unlisted number and your cell phone company won't help you. If they can't do anything, then get in contact with a lawyer. For some stupid reason, the police tend to listen to you more when you've got a lawyer behind you - which is sad :\

lamiastella said:
I'm not sure if a lawyer would help. I tried personally contacting the company that those calls were made through and they said that they couldn't do anything because of some sort of privacy act. Our family lawyer is a close friend of my mom, and I asked her over dinner one day if there was anything that could be done and she helped me with all of it :smile:

Personally, I would first contact the police to tell them that you've been receiving harassing phonecalls from an unlisted number and your cell phone company won't help you. If they can't do anything, then get in contact with a lawyer. For some stupid reason, the police tend to listen to you more when you've got a lawyer behind you - which is sad :\

Thanks Lamiastella! I've changed my number this afternoon (regretting it already but at least they finally waived the $15 fee) since I was getting paranoid myself. When she left me that message (which I didn't bother finish listening and now I think I should), I started thinking what if this person was some gangster girl or someone from the mafia? Last thing I need was to have some super-obsessive person come knocking down my family's door with a shotgun (yes I've been watching too many Datelines and America's Most Wanted). Now my old number has a recording that says it's a non-working number, hopefully that will stop all the phonecalls for good.

Argh that is so irritating, please go to the cops or even engage a lawyer if you have to. Do whatever it takes. Ive had my number for years too so I understand that dreading feeling of the possibility of giving it up. Im sure there's a way!

lamiastella said:

I would have been so freaked out. :wtf: I have random telemarketers calling my cell but they are all caught by my caller ID. I learn to turn my phone on vibrate at night so I'll have uninterrupted sleep.

^what is up with telemarketers?! uh they call me at all hours about sweepstakes and things. my land line is blocked...can i block my cell phone too?

koukanamiya-im really sorry. what a predicament. sometimes when i make phone calls, the lines get crossed and ill be saying "hello, hello?!" to whoever im talking too and the person im talking to will hear a spanish person saying "alberto?!" i think for the money we're paying cell companies, they should get their $h!t together.

koukanamiya said:
My sister thinks that Nathan and Ricky are probably people who went out to mess around with other girls. She thinks they probably give these girls the same "random" number and that was why all these random people were calling my number. Gah, I hate people like that.

What is puzzling to me is that the number wasn't really so random. I wonder if they have come in contact with your number somehow. I think its too much of a coincidence that they just happen to pick a number out of the sky and it actually be a working number. And a cell number at that. also, that's not cool that your cell phone company is charging you to change the number. I thought most companies would waive that fee in situations like this.

I would have done the same thing....changed my number. Also, I think there is a *?? number that you can put in your phone so it does not accept calls from a blocked phone number. Check that out too. Good luck, I would feel the same as you.

nathansgirl1908 said:
What is puzzling to me is that the number wasn't really so random. I wonder if they have come in contact with your number somehow. I think its too much of a coincidence that they just happen to pick a number out of the sky and it actually be a working number. And a cell number at that. also, that's not cool that your cell phone company is charging you to change the number. I thought most companies would waive that fee in situations like this.

I don't know how these people would've come in contact with my number. The only people who know my number are my friends and credit card companies. I'm very very paranoid about giving out my phone number. Also, it just started about 6 months to 1 year ago. I managed to get the fee waived for changing my cell# after I spoke with a supervisor. But still, I'm feeling pretty bummed out about having to give up my old cell# since I love that number (it's a very lucky number and easy to remember) and I've had it for so long. Now I have to track down all of my resumes that are posted to change my contact info, call up all my SAs to make sure they have the right phone#, and change all my contact info online - all because of some jerks.:rant:

tr444 said:
I would have done the same thing....changed my number. Also, I think there is a *?? number that you can put in your phone so it does not accept calls from a blocked phone number. Check that out too. Good luck, I would feel the same as you.

I asked about this when I was on the phone with my cell provider and they said they don't have any means to block numbers.