how do i protect myself when it comes to local pick up

takeoutbox

Dec 21, 2006
sold an item, buyer wants to meetup to get the item but insists on paying via paypal (cuz he's been burned before...his exact words). How do I protect myself in that case? how do i ensure that he's not going to turn around and claim the item was not received or not as described after the fact?

sold an item, buyer wants to meetup to get the item but insists on paying via paypal (cuz he's been burned before...his exact words). How do I protect myself in that case? how do i ensure that he's not going to turn around and claim the item was not received or not as described after the fact?

Tell him NO!!!!

Sounds fishy to me. If you meet up, the buyer can inspect the item before he pays (a luxury not provided on most online transactions) - the chances of him being burned are pretty small.

You will not have tracking so there is no protection for you should he turn out to be a scammer and file an INR.

The transaction should be cash only. And make sure you meet in a public well populated place.

No way. He can subsequently file a claim with PP for INR and you will have no proof of delivery.
He can either pay to have it shipped properly or pay cash. Period.

I agree with the others - he can pay cash or have it shipped. And if he pays with cash, meet him at your bank in the lobby so you can deposit the money immediately after you've turned the bag over to him.

If he isn't willing to do this, tell him you will ship it to him with signature confirmation to protect you both.

One more absolutely NO, NO, NO. This is a scam to get your item and then afterwards he can file for item not received. If he insists on local pick-up, accept cash only. Meet with a large male friend in a public place (like your bank); or let him pay with PP and send the item insured with Signature Confirmation so you can prove it got there.

great, thanks so much ladies. i had a bad feeling about it, but just wanted some re-assurance. i did email back saying that to protect both of us i will have to ship the item. so far haven't heard back.

Tell him, if he insists on using paypal, you insist on shipping with delivery confirmation and s.c. (if total price is $250 or more).