How do i convince my parents about the car I want?

I refuse to buy a Honda or Toyota or any other appliance like car manufacturer. I've owned a Passat and now own an Audi A4 cause for one, everyone and their brother doesn't own one, and two, they give me a feel of actually driving the car. Unlike most Japanese family geared car makers who make everything super quiet and dampen the feedback of every tactile aspect of the car.
As far as my Passat, over the 120K miles and 7 years of ownership, I had to spend about 2K when the timing belt broke (which technically I was overdue to have it replaced) and the control arms replaced which was about 1500. The rest was either routine (brake pads, filters, etc) or other things I did to the car on my own (I upgraded the turbo, exhaust, springs and shocks). The reason I sold it was cause the AC broke. I would definitely buy a VW again (if I didn't almost hate the look of the new Passat).
Also, remember, with certified VW, you'll get a 2 year warranty. So whatever goes wrong in those 2 years will be fixed. I'm not sure on the details. I know with my Audi extended warranty (VW owns Audi..fyi) it's a $50 fee for all warranty work. I'd imagine it would be similar. With the Jettas, you want to get a later model Jetta as they've worked the kinks out with each newer model year. If I'm not mistaken the CPO cars can only be 4 years old anyway, so you should be fine. Get the 1.8T engine, as it's been in the top 10 engines for about 10 years straight now. The New Jetta has been getting very good reviews. Volvos...for a couple of years they were horrible, but I think they're getting back on track now.

European cars are going to be expensive to fix if there are any problems later on. Do you think it is true? It hurts to see that my own family does not support in what I would like to do. The car will be paid for by me (100%) What can I do to convince them?

You don't have to convince them to "let" you buy the car. You're 19 years old and can do whatever you want to. If the car will be paid for 100% by you, then go ahead and buy the car. What matters is that you buy a safe car (Volvos and VWs are very safe) that you like and suits your needs.

As for the expensive part...Well, they can be expensive. I have a VW Golf 1.9 TDI (diesel) and I have had it in the shop three times since I bought it almost a year ago. The first time it was in the shop was when my drivers side window fell into the door. This is a common problem with Volkswagens so they were able to replace the little wheely thingies that evening and I was able to pick it up the next morning. It didn't cost me one cent because my car was still under the one year warranty that I got.

The second time I had it in the dealership was for regular maintenance for 90k KM. For this maintenance, the timing belt was replaced as was the water pump. This cost around 800 EUR, including long life oil, and all of those other inspections that they do.

The third time I've had it in the shop was the day after I picked it up from it getting maintenance. My Golf is automatic, so when I would push on the gas, it really wouldn't go anywhere. The RPM thingy was up to around 3 before that it switched into 2nd gear - and after that it was fine. It ended up I needed some sort of new air pressure thing that tells the car how much diesel to put into the motor. IDK, I don't really understand cars :smile:

Either way...My VW has overall been very reliable, but they are semi-expensive to maintain.

I owned the Volvo S60 2.5 Turbo and it was the BEST car on the planet!! Due to some a**hole in my life at the time who convinced me to trade it in, I did and have regretted it ever since.

I'd buy one again in a second if I didn't already have a car that's paid for but it's a sports car and I still would love to have an additional car....a new Volvo!

ANd as far as VW, hell even the Beetle gets a 5 star safety rating!

And like someone else said, you can get an extended warranty. I have that on my car and even if I BLOW the engine (It's a Porsche) it's a $200 deductable for 5 years or 100,000 miles!!

My daughter is 13 and when she comes of age if her dream car is one that is voted one of the safest cars to drive, I'd do a damn happy dance!! You're parents should be proud that you're so consciencious!!

I am a parent of two grown girls older than you, so my opinion may be of interest to you.
I would say go for the car of your choice, since you are responsible enough to pay for it and all future repair/maintenance. After all, you are getting a safe and well made, preowned car, not a fancy 2-seater sports car.
The only question I have is if you would be planning to attend college and live on campus. If so, would it be wasteful to own a car for those 4 years?

Since you are paying for it you should get what you want, your parents and brother sound like they are trying to protect you from what could be a costly vehicle, but they shouldn't be angry with you for not seeing things their way. You want what you want, and you have to drive it everyday so there it is...

I have friends that have VW's & LOVE them & I've never known my mother to have anything BUT a Volvo!

As far as I know their both SAFE & RELIABLE cars.

A toyota or Honda is probably a bit cheaper to fix, but it's you money! I say buy what you want!

I'd be thrilled if my child wanted either of those cars. I feel they are both great, responsible choices!

Most kids want BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc! Basically IMHO a car that you get when you have a CAREER! Not when you're a teenager!

GOOD LUCK!

The only question I have is if you would be planning to attend college and live on campus. If so, would it be wasteful to own a car for those 4 years?

Well, I live in San Francisco and am pretty sure that I'll be transfering to SF State University in less than a year. That'll mean I'll be living at home so I wont have to live on campus. I guess this doesn't help me with me wanting a car because I can take the bus but originally, i was thinking of attending schools in LA or NY but of course, my parents and their constant lectures discouraged it.

I'm currently driving a 1995 Corolla and I mean, it gets me to places. To be honest, I just dont like driving my Corolla because the car is extremly scratched up and dented from the previous owner. They didn't take good care of it but because I was really in a need to attend school, I had to buy the car. Coco (she has a name, lol) is extremely loud when I'm trying to get her to go up the hill. The door handles are breaking..it's not that she's broken or anything but she's definitely frustrating me when i'm trying to get to work and school on time. It doesn't help when I don't feel all that safe in it either...

I feel that all i wanted was to let them know that this is what i want. it wasn't so much of a question but out of respect, i just wanted my parents to support my decisions. and im pretty sure they're going to tell me later on "you live under our roof, you have to follow the rules...da dee da dee da" But the most contradicting thing of all is - my parents never gave me allowance, money..none of that. College is and was paid for by me. I started off at a private university but because I was so overwhelmed with a loan of 10k over my back (total tuition was 34k), I left and started over at a community college (where i am now) so it's sad to see that even though my parents don't pay for my expenses, I'm still trapped. I'm so sorry for venting out..I just can't seem to get my parents off my back. I think about moving out sometimes and maybe they'll let me make my own choices but then again, I can already sense that If I do bring home the Volvo or Jetta, they'll be ignoring me for a very long time and will probably give the "ill disown you!!!" lecture. :crybaby::crybaby:

I understand what your saying. I was raised in an "American" car family. So my first 2 cars were Chevy & Ford. That is so not me!
I now however am in a family where we have Mercedes, BMW's, porsche's etc. Since I/we foot the bill they can't say a thing.
So, if you are living under their roof and they are paying for your car, you might want to pacify them and later on get what you want:yes: .
Whatever you decide, they will get over it, it's just a car!

i agree with what others have said - if you are going to be paying for the car 100% by yourself, then ultimately the decision is up to you.

however, as a former VW jetta owner, i can tell you that the maintanence on that car is very expensive. i bought a brand new 2000 jetta and had multiple problems with it. a few of my friends that owned VWs also had the same problems. i was about ready to shove it off a cliff by the time i traded it in :sad:

do your research and read the reviews before purchasing a car, especially a used one. good luck!

hi everyone. i'm a 19 year old full time student that is currently also working 2 part time jobs (40 hours a week) in hopes to buy a new (used certified car). There has been two cars that Ive always wanted - a Volvo S40 and a VW Jetta. I recently found both of the cars at the dealership for around 12k each and was planning to get either one of them however, my parents and brother are 100% against it. They believe that even though it is a used certified car from the dealership, European cars are going to be expensive to fix if there are any problems later on. Do you think it is true? It hurts to see that my own family does not support in what I would like to do. The car will be paid for by me (100%) What can I do to convince them? I cannot see myself driving another car except those two. Ive always imagined myself driving a Volvo when im older..i'm very mature and always thought Volvos are reliable and classy looking. Does anyone here own a VW Jetta or Volvo S40? I NEED HELP! :crybaby:My family are so angry at me even though I havent even bought the car yet.I was only considering it but.my dad already shouted "why can't you just like a Japanese car!?"

:sad::sad::sad:
if your dead set on european, definitely go with the volvo over the vw, much much much more reliable, go to msnautos.com or edmunds.com and read about them both (you can look based on the year you want to buy used)

i am a proud owner of a german car (yay BMW!!!!) and all BMWs have a CPO program that will take you up to 10yr/100Kmi (for the newbies its 4yr/40kmi).

EVERY time i go in, whether its for the AC, regular maintence, the service engine light randomly going on, i am treated like a princess and only pay 50 for anything under that warranty (i have an extended one so my brakes, batteries, etc. are all covered).

yes my mom paid more initally but its way worth it in her opinion, she has peace of mind knowing i am 3k mi away from her and my car is fine and i am ok with calling road side assistance and having them deal with it.

DONT skimp out on quality for price.

I just can't seem to get my parents off my back. I think about moving out sometimes and maybe they'll let me make my own choices but then again, I can already sense that If I do bring home the Volvo or Jetta, they'll be ignoring me for a very long time and will probably give the "ill disown you!!!" lecture. :crybaby::crybaby:
Have you ever thought about attending state school (less expensive than private schools) and living on campus? First advantage is live away from home with relatively affordable housing. Second advantage to truly enjoy college life. College years are one of the best times in most people's lives. To fully appreciate college life is to live on campus. You will be with people your own age and with similar background, young and hopeful. Surely, you will grow to be even more independent. At least, you don't have the pressure of constantly nagging parents. You can still visit home during happy holidays.

Volvos are great. my first car was mt parents HUGE 1987 240 DL (it easily had 240,000 miles on it) and it ran strong until i sold it in about 1999. I actually saw the woman who bought it a couple years ago and she said its still running well! I actually miss that car even though Ive had several since then. They are also extremely safe cars.