how come nobody talks about dooney and burke purses?

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, they're more of a "starter" designer purse than anything. Something to get your feet wet, but way too common. They were really popular when I was in college; now, they're a little to urban for my taste. They used to be classy, but now they're often too trendy. Lots of weird designs; I don't go for the bees and weird things like that. Joining tPF opened my eyes to so many other higher quality bags, that it'd be impossible to go back to D&B now. Anyway, JMO!

As a Brit, D&B isn't available over here in the UK. I bought a cute little shoulder bag in the multi-colour logo with cream background when I was in NY in 2004. I still absoutely love it, especially the multi-coloured zip and the heart tag that is on the zipper.

I definitely think that it would be worth it to start a forum thread for Dooney & Bourke!

>>>Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, they're more of a "starter" designer purse than anything. Something to get your feet wet, but way too common. They were really popular when I was in college; now, they're a little to urban for my taste. They used to be classy, but now they're often too trendy. Lots of weird designs; I don't go for the bees and weird things like that. Joining tPF opened my eyes to so many other higher quality bags, that it'd be impossible to go back to D&B now. Anyway, JMO!

I agree with this. They were chic among working women in the '80s and '90s, but then they started to go after the tween market with the lollipops and bumblebees and their craftsmanship tumbled as they cheapened the bags. I have 6 Dooneys, most vintage, and I love them dearly. I especially love that old All-Weather Leather that will stand up to a typhoon. But the most recent collections just can't stand up in quality and style to other high-end bags. JMO.

There was a Dooney sub-forum but it closed recently due to inactivity.

They were chic among working women in the '80s and '90s, but then they started to go after the tween market with the lollipops and bumblebees and their craftsmanship tumbled as they cheapened the bags. I have 6 Dooneys, most vintage, and I love them dearly. I especially love that old All-Weather Leather that will stand up to a typhoon. But the most recent collections just can't stand up in quality and style to other high-end bags. JMO.

This is where Dooney lost me, also. Ten or so years ago, I bought lots of Coach and Dooney; they were my two favorite brands. I kept my Dooneys in a recent closet purge. I really like their classic bags and the all-weather leather has stood the test of time. Now the designs are too girly and just don't speak to me, but I'm still buying the occasional Coach.

i think for some of us its just a matter of moving on up...like someone said, its kind of a beginner designer bag, and if you are really a bag nut, like most of us here, its just a natural progression to move on up to higher end bags...plus dooney started really gearing toward a young audience and for me their designs were just too juvenile...

I have two Dooney's. I don't really carry my Bumble Bee much but it has so many good memories I can't bare to part with it. I also have a Giraffe bag which I love and always get hella complements when I carry it. I think it just depends on your personal taste. I have LV's, MJ's, MK's....all those initials, lol But I love my Dooney's just the same!

I like some DBs, but I agree with those above, that its more of a beginner bag. I mean all you have to do is take a stroll through the mall and every little teeny-bopper you see has some baby dooney under her arm. I have a wallet and some wristlets from them that I'll probably never part with, but they are a little juvenile for my taste. I don't really like their lollipop and cowboy hat bags, just too much going on with the bag. Their giraffe bags are beautiful though I will admit, I want one for myself.

I used to have some very nice AWL Dooney's years ago. I think that the quality of their leather bags are still pretty good, although I have seen some of their vinyl bags become discolored over time. I do not buy their bags because I am not a fan of their current styles that are meant to target a younger audience.

I have no doubt that if they brought back their AWL bags with some more mature designs, I would be willing to buy one of their bags. But right now they have nothing to offer me. :shrugs:

quite simply, not that many of our members either carry D&B or care to talk about them.
We tried very hard to illicit some conversation, we gave them their own Forum, but it was dead so we had to close it.