How can I make my calves smaller?

Day 3 - Post-op
I was in better spirits. I chose to walk to the clinic in the rain. A walk that would normally take 8-10mins. became a full 35min walk. The nurses changed my bandages and again reprimanded me for loosening it up. But I explained it was really a problem when I sleep. Then after, I met up with a person in this forum at the mall. I was fine because I used the umbrella as a cane. But after we had dinner, walking became increasingly unbearable so I had to call it a night. I was so happy we met up, and we did make plans to see each other again but I knew the moment I got home that it would be very difficult to keep those plans. My feet got so swollen after all the walking, I can’t imagine going anywhere having to keep up.
I woke up that night extremely uncomfortable. The worst part is that I was getting brain fog as well. When I got home 5pm, I crashed in bed and woke up around 8:30, feeling drunk with a migraine. I couldn’t find a comfortable position to sleep at all. I made a snap decision to move to a fancier hotel for the rest of my trip. It really had to be done. I spent the night spacing out my ibuprofen intake just to manage the pain in both my feet, calves and head. Another bad night.

Day 4 - Post-op
My only plan for the day was to move hotel. I notice a pattern in me: waking up in the morning and walking around my own room and the guesthouse, I feel immense pain and discomfort that I can’t imagine leaving for anywhere. However after a few hours, it gets more bearable. It’s not painless to walk, but I can manage. My pace is slower than a grandma for sure. But I keep my head up so even if people look, they just think I have a sprain or something.
Also, it’s hard to find a balance with stretching and pain management. I feel like I am making my headache worse when I stretch, because every stretch is so painful that my ears feel hot and my heart rate speeds up. It aggravates the brain fog and my whole mood. But I must do it. I stayed in my new hotel the rest of the day, feeling very pleased with my decision. Even though my trip already had unexpected expenses with being upcharged, and having to pay with card, I still felt I should be kind to myself and put my comfort as priority. Pain is now at 8, and I still sleep in increments of 2-3hrs.

Lessons from today:
  • If you can go outside, do it. Even just for a while. Even if you are walking 1 step per 30 seconds. It is worth it to get fresh air. However, don’t overdo. Be mindful that you will pay for consequence that night.
  • Brain fog/tension headache may happen. This is what I found super debilitating, like I was getting sick. Get sunlight, stay hydrated and take naps.

Day 5 - Post-op
I had another check-up at 1:30. Throughout the morning, I still had a migraine but it went away when I stepped outside. So maybe it had to do with just not getting fresh air or any physical activity lol. I was late because of traffic, and my host from guesthouse messaged me on Whatsapp saying the clinic called her. It feels nice to be looked after like that. My first aspiration, and right calf stung. I then felt instantly lighter and put me in better mood. Nurse helped me get a cab to Myeongdong so I can do some shopping. My heels were killing me the whole time but I powered through. Looking back, I really can't imagine the distances I walked at such a snail pace. And every step was uncomfortable. I went home after 2.5hrs walking.
Tip for cabs: always have Hangul spelling of destinations at hand. My hotel has a free device you can take that you can use maps with, call and browse web so I survived without wifi egg. I went home to swollen feet again, but better than Monday. Pain 7.5-8.5.

Day 6 - Post-op
I had one goal that day which is to buy nice souvenir for new boyfriend (who knows nothing about this, and I'm dreading having to meet with bruises and a limp still). Another point of discussion is my appetite: I have only had the willpower to eat one meal or one meal and some snacks during the day. Of course this has to do with activity level but I'm sure if I had a friend with me, I should have eaten better like bananas, eggs, etc.
First time to wear my Adidas, so I spent 2-5pm walking in flat rubber shoes extremely slowly. My heel felt much better, but I went home to painful jabs at back of knee. It felt like my calf was going to explode out of the bandages. The moment I set my heel to the floor to try to get to the toilet, an electric pain would jolt up til my knee. It was horrible. I don't know if this is the day 5-6 regeneration people talk about, or just an effect of walking in flat shoes for first time post-op. I also thought I was bandaging it wrong because maybe it was hitting incision site too tightly, causing the jabs. In any case, I made it through the night back to crouching to the toilet and taking painkiller.
With my headaches gone, pain concentrated again at legs now back at 8.5-9. I had bought Tylenol 500 the day before at Boots but realized Ibuprofen is better because it helps with swelling. Anyway, I had to take twice because the pain was bad enough to wake me up.

Lessons from today:
  • My surgery is not obvious if not for my walking. My calf is shapelier even with bandages under the stretchy leggings I brought. I was not shy about stretching in random places or putting my feet up in restaurant (discreetly as I can, but still obvious) because nobody knows me anyway lol
  • Pack Ibuprofen, not Tylenol
  • Get a hotel with premium bedding (duvet). At first the expense seems silly, but during this challenging couple days you do deserve to be comfortable.

Thanks for your day by day diary, where are you from? Im from the UK and hoping to get this. I just think it sounds so mentally draining. My calves is all i think about but I dont know how i'd ever get through the process!!!!! camber how are your legs doing!?? It is reassuring to know that nobody would know you've had the surgery if it werent for slow walking though.

xxxxx

Day 7 - Post-op, last day in Seoul
What a bittersweet day! I woke up thinking I cannot effin walk. I might have to call Dr. Park, have the team take a cab to me, because really pain was back up to solid 9. Nevertheless, I took it one breath at a time, took a shower, dressed up, took meds, blow-dried my hair and by the time I went outside I was feeling better. The power of the mind really is important. I got to clinic very early because I was trying to beat traffic.
Dr. Park showed me how to aspirate and I got nauseous while watching. I felt the need to throw up and got lightheaded to the point of almost fainting so I lied down. When I got back up I asked, did that happen because of liquid loss? And he said, no it's because you saw the blood. We both laughed lol. He finally mentioned measurements: 39 initial, down to 36.5, and potentially lower. But again, I'm not going to obsess over numbers because like I said, things fit better now even with bandages so I can only imagine getting more pleased as swelling goes down and eventually gone completely.
On my way out there was a girl getting ready for surgery and she was Korean. I held her hand before she went in and told her be strong. I'm not sure how I would do if I did this with a buddy... I think the pain and emotional labor I felt was a private affair. Anyway, pain was at a stable 7.5 but I asked for more painkillers because I was scared of getting extreme pain during long flight home. We said our goodbyes at the elevator. Pain stable at 7, down from 9 that morning.

Day 7.5 - Post-op, travel day
Oh my lord. Brace yourself if you are going home early as I did. I requested wheelchair service, and it was good to be priority everywhere but the seat itself is not that comfortable. My legs jutted at a 90 degree angle, when I feel much better elevated. It really sucked. I counted down every hour of my 2hr and 13hr flight. In China, they started asking tips so I was able to rid my remaining KRW. Then when I hung out at the lounge during my 5hr layover I was told by staff there is a bed I can elevate my legs. But she also asked for tip lol. So I stayed there then. Beijing airport did not have aircondition at the time so it was very uncomfortable.
My 13hr flight I had an empty seat beside me. I spent most of the time with my legs on the tray of that empty seat, with pillows under my knees lol. Lady on other side is caucasian so it was nice we can talk. I told her the surgery and she was impressed, even offering me Ambien. I decided on tylenol PM instead, and that gave me like 3hrs of sleep. I got up as often as I could to stretch, but just being in a wildly uncomfortable position made pain go up to 8. In any case, I made it. I can't believe I was able to get home.
Walking is still slow and hella obvious limp, so I hope for next two days before I get back to work, swelling will go down. I don't know if I can fit into rubber shoes even. My feet have been like elephants since day 1, and fluctuates but never back to normal.
Another thing, my bruises are starting to get ripe meaning they are sore. I experienced same when I had liposuction but I had less swelling then. Now what adds to my discomfort besides the tight bandages is that my feet are ballooned up and my bruises are sore. Pain is now 7, discomfort 7.

Lessons from today:
  • Prepare for upcoming flight by packing painkillers, having comfortable shoes, somethign to sleep with
  • Ask for wheelchair service and extra pillows, and seat next to an empty one if possible
  • You might think you are not squeamish around blood, but you won't know for sure until it is in front of you! I can watch a lot of gore but the reaction to seeing aspiration was so involuntary. I now understand in movies and shows why cops will vomit after seeing a crime scene lol.
  • Dr. Park said best if a friend will do it for me :biggrin:
  • Have sinecch, bromelain, and lots of water for your recovery

Day 8 - Post-op
So I got in midnight the night before, changed into flowy jammies and watched some tv before dozing off at 2am. Walking was still painful, and now that I was around family there was no hiding it. My brother fortunately settled with just questioning once “what’s wrong with your feet?” which I replied “it’s just swollen.” But my mom, one look and she knew, although she thinks it was liposuction since nobody knows about muscle resectioning unless u tell them lol. She did not pry. I almost cried! She is a doctor herself, so her questions are mostly about how I am recovering vs. why I did it.
Anyway, even in my own bed I could not sleep straight. My jetlag is still severe. So I napped twice until about 4pm I chose to get up. I stretch when I can but the back of my knee is painful when my heel is flat. Walking around apartment is still hard. I ate more today than in the last 10 days and my mom noticed I lost weight lol.
Then around 7pm the guy I am dating asked me to come over. No way, with all my bruises and my limp it was impossible. But I managed to convince him that my feet swell when I am super jetlagged so we can’t fool around much lol but I got up showered and went to see him. I kept my sinecch bromelain and ibuprofen in my bag in case I slept over. He didn’t inquire further and my bruises and big feet were well hidden under leggings and socks.
Another piece of advice, even when it is a struggle you should try to do normal stuff again. It really lifted my spirits to be having dinner around family, and then seeing person I am dating, as if no big deal, I am just sick from travels. I now believe a lot of the psychological and mental hardship came from the perceived loneliness of traveling undergoing surgery and recovering ALONE, but again I also believe I needed my privacy in those trying times. I might be ashamed in another person’s presence even if they are aware of the whole ordeal. Perhaps if I was married or was best friends with someone undergoing the same exact surgery then it would be a different story. Pain that day morning was 8.5 down to 7.5 that evening.

Day 9 - Post-op
I slept over his place in a very uncomfortable position. Still super jetlagged so I got up even with less than 5hr of sleep I feel rested. I force myself to stretch and walk to his bathroom. The pain is dull now but striking heel still puts jolty pressure in back of my knees.
THEN! HERE IS EXCITING PART! After breakfast and a lot lot lot of stretching, pain has now dulled to a good level 6.5-7!!!! I’M ECSTATIC!!! The usually worst part which is getting up and putting feet flat on the floor now is super manageable. I am happy. Tomorrow I go back to work and I want to still take it slow since I live in new york and my commute is a good 20-30min combined walking. My feet are still swollen and my bruises are for sure dark but for the first time I am super happy and hopeful.
And as I kept repeating, my calves even with bandages look 2x better than what they used to be. I stare at it many times to lift my spirits. I will make sure to adhere to post-op care instructions as best as I can even at work.

Thank you ladies for your support. I will continue to update in coming days. Even if some pain will return, i will remember the memory of today and be hopeful.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

Thank you so much for your detailed updates!! Its great!

Yes planning on going for surgery with him but maybe in a few months, need to get some money together and get timing right. I put alot of emphasis on recovery and not being able to do much so its great to hear you are back doing normal stuff/noone would be none the wiser only 8 days post op. Apart from your limp ofcourse.

Day 9.5 - Post-op
After writing that post, I spent the morning stretching more. Then in the afternoon, went down to go foodshopping at my snail's pace. Overall pain is now manageable 3, but I will start differentiating with walking pain which for that day was a 7. Best part about that night: my first 8hr uninterrupted sleep since night of surgery.

Day 10 - Post-op, back to work!
I woke up in the same oh-my-lord tight and hard to walk pain thinking I should definitely just work from home. Mornings really are a biatch. I am from NYC and the idea of walking to the subway, going up and down the tracks and standing up for the ride is waaay too much this early. I decide to shower, get dressed and see how I feel. Once my joints are warmed up, I feel energized. I took an uberpool to work. Thankfully I have 50% off discount this week so that was a godsend. Then at work, I am feeling so good EXCEPT for the fact that I walk like a zombie and its super noticeable. I don't even avoid stretching every 30-45mins because it has now become necessary, lest I want my next time getting up to be more agonizing. I spit a story about tearing my calf and nobody bats an eye lol. But it is getting old to tell. Then after work, bf picked me up so we can have dinner at his place. So I had to ride the subway with him. Holy ****!! Taking an uber that morning was best decision ever. I now see I CANNOT go down stairs properly. Also, what makes walking slow more difficult is when somebody is there walking with you and I'm trying my best to keep up and not look weird.
So yes, going back to work is possible I would say even yesterday, day 9. Just the whole commuting part is a nightmare. I cannot imagine being in subway both morning and afternoon where I have no seat and then people might step on me or push me and I will just topple over lol. Nobody likes slow people on the subway. Also it might help if I am visibly disabled but my bandages are so unnoticeable under slacks. My slippers and my limp may be a good clue but most people just walk past me. I'm not self conscious on the sidewalk at all because there's nothing to see after they take one look and it registers that oh this girl is injured and cannot walk properly.

Lessons:
  • Bring comfy FLAT and PLATFORM shoes wherever you go
  • Stretch religiously
  • Take it easy on the walking. Standing for more than 3mins hurts, walking is fine except the heel gets tired so much more easily because it holds all the pressure.
  • Buy an umbrella for a cane if you need
  • Take 20mins every morning to loosen your calves up

Reactions: brobn
Thanks for posting :smile:
One of the things that is stopping me from booking is not being able to see more before and after pics on the website. Does anyone else feel like this? There isnt many, and the best are sure to be on there. Julia what are your measurements? xx

Day 11-13 - Post-op, work and school
So I still took Uberpool going to work on Day 11 and 12. I prefer the discomfort of sitting in place for more than 1hr than potentially being nudged and toppling over the morning rush commute. There were some extensive walking because I had to go to a client in the city, and I also go to night class. Of course I did Uberpool everywhere but the walking inside buildings itself is so laborious. Although my calves are stretched and warmed, it is my feet that make walking all the more difficult. All sides are swollen and sore. Then all the pressure is at the heel so both prolonged standing and walking is painful. I managed to inch my way to wherever I go. Every uncomfortable step or distance I just remember how far I've gone since the first few nights where I literally crawled from my room in my guesthouse to the toilet. I remember the pain that woke me up at night. This is far from that, though still difficult, so I feel better. At work, I stretch whenever I can. Limp is still 100% obvious.
I have a pattern in the morning where I am sooo sure I can't walk, or that my walking the day before aggravated my swelling and put back my recovery, but a good 20-minute stretch takes that feeling away and puts pain and walking at manageable level. Calf pain now varies from 4-6, while walking pain was still 7-9.
I also tried to aspirate myself but very little came out. I lie down in my tub with feet outstretched, poured antiseptic all over, put the needle at an angle and tried but not much fluid was there. I even had sunglasses on to mask the blood so I wouldn't get nauseous like last time lol.

Day 14 - Post-op, new shoes!
My mom got me new shoes so I stop using Dr. Park's platform shoes (which made it easy to walk, but were so uncomfortable). First time I feel like a person when walking as it allows me to hide my limp down to 50% obvious. I still cannot stand or walk too much because my heels still dig but at least I am better. I ride the subway in the morning and it is torture not having a seat. Nobody can tell I am injured so nobody offered a seat lol. Also, I am late this whole week but people in the office understand.
So it is true that if you have time you should stay in Korea for 2 weeks. But I'm glad I went back to resume my old life this early. Yes, it is mentally and physically challenging to try to mask the surgery and the fact that you are slightly disabled around everyone that knows you. but then I feel like my old self when I am not walking lol. My coworkers, family, bf still regard me the same. I don't feel alone or too self-conscious. My pants fit so well without a bulk.
Sorry @dianna22 no pictures yet because of cankles and swollen feet, the shape is not perfect. What I will guarantee, however, is that my legs are now straight unlike before when muscle bulge was obvious from back and front, making it look like it was only slightly smaller than my thighs. Now I have womanly calves and despite the swelling and my ugly limp, I feel so beautiful. I am happy. I never ever felt like this ever before. 25 years old, been social creature since I was 13 and know I looked different. Now I am so excited to wear everything I couldn't. Even just the pants, even if they don't show off my legs, they will for sure fit well. My body is not perfect but only now I am confident enough to flaunt it without feeling "fat." I am actually very fit but my calves made me feel self conscious as if I was obese. Now I don't care that my arms aren't supermodel slim, or that my shoulders are broad. I can rock my own style and not feel fat!

Day 15 - Post-op, sharp pains
Not much update on this day, except for my subway ride home. Going down stairs is so hard, while going up is 90% normal. Anyway, my commute was long then I insisted on doing food shopping and my feet gave up early on. I was in extreme pain and discomfort and still had to walk about 8 blocks to my apartment. When I got home I had cramps in addition to the swollen tenderness and bruised feet. Again I feared regression but I put on a brave face and just rested elevated my legs. I realize I can't rush my progress. Yes I feel incrementally better every day, but the process is not as simple. While there is swelling, there are many things I am not able to do such as walk long and far, go down stairs, and even wear any of my own shoes!

Day 16 - Post-op, getting better
So I forgot which poster it was but somebody here said they finally started walking normally after 16 days. When I read that I just wanted to blink and be at day 16, walking normally. Now I'm here! How am I? Very tight mornings, painful but satisfying stretches. I walk straighter now, and putting heel on flat surface the first time getting up is not agonizing anymore. My calves and ankles are still bad and i don't fit into any of my shoes. However, I'm so happy whenever I look in the mirror knowing my calves will still de-swell and improve. Yes, they may stabilize to a few inches more than now but they are proportional to my thighs. It might take a while to look and feel completely normal but it is a small price to pay for the confidence I earned.
I will try to keep updating daily journal, but let me say now if you are still unsure: depends how badly you want it. I am part of those who knew since I was 13 that my calves are my biggest insecurity. They were not just muscular, they were very disproportionate to the rest of my body. I used to be able to wear skirts and shorts, but when my curves evened out, I got into working out and managed to get abs, nice butt, but my calves also got more bulk. So I have avoided anything that will expose them for a good 5 years now. This surgery was a must for me, and I'm not just saying that as a first-world insecure 25 year old. I am saying that as someone who wants to feel ok in a dress, so I can enjoy social functions that I had long avoided or at least not looked forward to. I had a chance to change my life, and I did it! So yes, the first few days were so horrible that it sent me into a slight depression, and then after that its been tough to function normally, but I'm willing to go through it all!
I promise pictures next week, whether or not my cankles go away lol.