How big is too big in shoes?

HauteMama

O.G.
Sep 22, 2006
I ordered a pair of DRU New York shoes, and while I love the style and construction, they are big. I normally wear a size 9 or 39. I ordered them in a 39 and they do not come in half sizes.

They have a t-strap, meaning they won't fall off my foot, but if it weren't for that strap they likely would. Standing in them feels fine, but when I walk they slip off the heel quite freely.

I am looking for advice on whether to keep them or exchange them for a 38 (which I rarely, if ever, wear). They are patent, so it is unlikely they will stretch a lot. Just standing, they don't look silly. I've seen photos of celebrities and even photos here that look like they have similar space in the heel. Are there insoles that can help, or is getting a smaller size and hoping they won't be too small the only option? Or would you choose to return them altogether in a situation like this? I like them a lot and would prefer not to do that, but I don't want to be clunking as I walk, either!

they're too big IMO.
If they slip up and down, they're too big.
It's likely the size down will run slightly generous since they're not offered in half sizes though:yes