How best to keep a python bag??

meluvbag

Jul 17, 2011
Hello out there, I just bought a python bag from Ferragamo and would like some advice on how best to storage such a bag and also how to best maintain the python...

Any advice is hugely appreciated.
Thank you

:smile:

Reactions: Debbie65
I should have firstly said huge congratulations on what must be a stunning bag :shame: but my kittens keep threatening to bolt out the living room door only open for ventilation - they need to be where I can see them LOL.

There are different kinds of treatments for python, when the scales are left long and when shaven. Obviously when it is shaven to reveal the pattern without the scales it is easier to keep pristine for longer but even with the full scales packing the bag carefully will keep the look of the scales nicely even if they have lifted slightly during wear.

If python does get wet in a shower just leave to dry naturally and only pat down the scales again when just about dry otherwise the skin may stretch or the bags finish may be effected. I always carry a spare plastic bag with me in case of rain but unlike any other delicate bags take my python out ASAP because plastic builds humidity inside and humidity is not good.

Also in storage, whether a soft or solid bag shape stuff (paper or tissue not plastic bags) so that the bag keeps its designed shape and keeps excess moisture at bay.

Wear and enjoy Meluvbag, please don't worry too much I have a Christian Dior python from the 1970s, have used it and it is virtually pristine. The biggest problem is that one can't clean and feed the skin properly at home like regular bags so easily but I am sure SF could advise you if need be. With python you get what you pay for and SF are an excellent company. My last major bag was a Gucci python and am thinking of another so please enjoy X

I love python from Ferragamo because it is usually very easy to maintain. I have a python clutch from Ferragamo and it has held up well in the 2+ years I've had it. The scales were lightly 'sanded' during manufacture, so they don't lift like most python. The python on my bag is still super soft.

I believe many designers like Ferragamo treat the python skins with a glaze or something similar, so I'd ask Ferragamo Customer Service before applying any lotions or chemicals to the bag. Mine has accidentally gotten wet and I've had no problems.

I should have firstly said huge congratulations on what must be a stunning bag :shame: but my kittens keep threatening to bolt out the living room door only open for ventilation - they need to be where I can see them LOL.

There are different kinds of treatments for python, when the scales are left long and when shaven. Obviously when it is shaven to reveal the pattern without the scales it is easier to keep pristine for longer but even with the full scales packing the bag carefully will keep the look of the scales nicely even if they have lifted slightly during wear.

If python does get wet in a shower just leave to dry naturally and only pat down the scales again when just about dry otherwise the skin may stretch or the bags finish may be effected. I always carry a spare plastic bag with me in case of rain but unlike any other delicate bags take my python out ASAP because plastic builds humidity inside and humidity is not good.

Also in storage, whether a soft or solid bag shape stuff (paper or tissue not plastic bags) so that the bag keeps its designed shape and keeps excess moisture at bay.

Wear and enjoy Meluvbag, please don't worry too much I have a Christian Dior python from the 1970s, have used it and it is virtually pristine. The biggest problem is that one can't clean and feed the skin properly at home like regular bags so easily but I am sure SF could advise you if need be. With python you get what you pay for and SF are an excellent company. My last major bag was a Gucci python and am thinking of another so please enjoy X

Papertiger, you know so much and it has been truly helpful to have your advice, thank you so much for the time to write. I have put the bag in the white cotton bag that it came in and then it is also in its SF box.
I will certainly make use of the bag and thank you for also reminding me to enjoy the bag and use it, not just store it to look beautiful in the wardrobe. I must admit I got a little scared when I got the bag as this is my first python bag. SF are indeed very helpful, I just bought a few bags this season from them.
I wish that I could see your bags as they sound very special :smile:

Thank you again and a huge thank you for the great advice! :hugs:

I love python from Ferragamo because it is usually very easy to maintain. I have a python clutch from Ferragamo and it has held up well in the 2+ years I've had it. The scales were lightly 'sanded' during manufacture, so they don't lift like most python. The python on my bag is still super soft.

I believe many designers like Ferragamo treat the python skins with a glaze or something similar, so I'd ask Ferragamo Customer Service before applying any lotions or chemicals to the bag. Mine has accidentally gotten wet and I've had no problems.

That is really good news doreenjoy, they did say at SF store that it is durable, I just got scared when I actually got it as it is so soft and looks very fragile.
I live when we have a lot of rain but the bag will come out on days when there a nice python bag friendly weather! Thank you again :smile: